Transfer case stuck in neutral?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was driving my truck back from our cabin yesterday and as I was turning off the main road towards our house, I flipped the truck into 4wd and the truck stopped going forward. The road to my house is somewhat steep (uphill) and is icy which is why I wanted to use 4wd, I actually do this almost daily in the winter. Now my truck will not move nor will it go into gear.

When I select 2wd/4wd/4wd low the truck does not go into any of those gears and it doesn't matter if I'm in park, reverse, or drive it will not move on it's own. It acts like it's stuck in neutral all the time and all the lights work normally when selecting any of the gear selections. I have to keep the parking brake set so it doesn't roll into the woods or the neighbors house. Neutral light is not on, no check engine light or anything abnormal on the dash.

Would a bad transfer case shift motor cause this issue, I've searched the internet and can not find a solution for this problem.

As an aside, I am not a new member here, my original username was AkNomad but I have not been able to get my password reset so I created a new username.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the shift motor could be the issue. can you hear it doing any thing when you change the settings?

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, i could hear it trying to engage. I drained the fluid from the transfer case and some pieces of what looks like a plastic snap ring fell out so it looks like my t-case needs rebuilt. Anyone pull one before and how difficult is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anyone know if the NV236 and NV246 are interchangeable, I've been able to find all kinds of used ones with the NV236 part number but none with the NV246.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think it should set a code if the motor is not doing what it is supposed to.You could pull the shift motor off of the t-case and shift it manually with a wrench just to see if it is the case itself

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For some reason my code reader doesn't work on my truck so I can't check for codes but I never got any lights or messages on the EVIC. Pulling the case this afternoon and taking it to the local rebuilders here in town. The pieces that came out with the gear oil looks like a plastic retaining ring of some sort.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm trying to pull my transfer case, does anybody know how many nuts/bolts holds this thing on? I've removed 4 nuts but cannot find anymore that need removed.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
There should be 6 spread evenly around the output housing of the trans.

I'm thinking the shift fork and collar are no longer connected. That would keep you from setting any codes, because the shift motor is moving and "shifting", so the DTCM and any modules watching like TCM and PCM thinks it is working. Curious to know what the shop finds.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll let you know what they find once it's fixed. As for the mount nuts, I've removed 4 of them but cannot locate the other 2, it's kinda cold here so my time is somewhat limited searching for those nuts before I have to come inside and warm up.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hard to believe that nobody has pulled a transfer case out of one of these 4th gen Rams. I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get to the 2 bottom mount nuts, does anyone know if I have to remove that bottom cross member, it's blocking access to those nuts.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had this trouble on my 2014 1500 there was a problem with the wire harness to the transfer case had bad corrosion the worst part was I I needed not only the harness but the motor cost was around 500cdn

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got the transfer case out and dropped it off at the local gear/driveline shop. Was a bit more work than I had anticipated, hopefully this the first and only time I have to pull it. All my wiring looked fine and practically new but that would have been a nice easy fix for sure.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then at some point I'd say you cooked the clutch pack in the tcase I hate these new awd t cases and really that's what they are they use clutch packs to let you split the torque up in evenly and not bind up your drive line like a chain driven tcase this is why I buy the cheap model rams get the simple parts

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll find out today what happened to it then we'll know the real answer. I still think it's weird how it went out because 2 minutes before that I was in 4wd gong up a long hill with no issues.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup if you rear around about those transfer cases this is a big complaint especially in snow or mud the clutch packs will get hot and cook them selves might not be but I've seen enough of them do it now it's like 75 to 80 percent of the time the clutch or the wires

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Then at some point I'd say you cooked the clutch pack in the tcase I hate these new awd t cases and really that's what they are they use clutch packs to let you split the torque up in evenly and not bind up your drive line like a chain driven tcase this is why I buy the cheap model rams get the simple parts

That's interesting. So if i understand correctly, my 17 2500 with no awd option (2hi, N, 4hi, 4lo) would not have this issue? Are these transfer cases gear drive like the fords, or chain drive? (My truck, 2500) thanks

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looking at the IPB for the NV/NP246 t-case it looks like they are chain driven.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I got the tradesman 2500 just because it has a manual engagement and is a chain driven no clutch pack tcase

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looking at the IPB for the NV/NP246 t-case it looks like they are chain driven.

yes, the 246 is Chain driven. it is a better case than the BW auto case that so many have taken issue with.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info pickupman.

T-case should be ready this afternoon, going to have the tech show me the bad parts and why it failed.