transfercase diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
can anyone get there hands on a wiring diagram for our crappy BorgWarner 44-44 transfer case? would like to see if there a way we can apply an external power source to keep it locked in 4wd when we select 4lock and 4low, that's if it indeed uses electrical signal to engage

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, ill take a good look over it and see it i could come up with anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This would be great if we had a lock switch

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thats what i wanna try to do when i get a chance, anyones inputs are welcome as alot of us would benefit from it

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive got no access to a garage or hoist probably until summer, if any one wants to help to try to figure out which wire engages the 4wd clutch when the rear spins, once i find that out ill do the testing of applying full time switched power to it

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive got no access to a garage or hoist probably until summer, if any one wants to help to try to figure out which wire engages the 4wd clutch when the rear spins, once i find that out ill do the testing of applying full time switched power to it

I looked at that diagram and I don't see anything that goes to the clutch pack. But I'll be the first to admit that wiring diagrams aren't my strength.

My folks have a garage so I'll see if I can get over there and take a look at the wiring. I would love to have a switch that locks it up until you turn it off. This tcase would be decent if it just engaged the clutch the whole time its in 4lock/low. Breaking it free once its locked will take quite a bit of torque.

I'm really hoping its not a mechanically locking clutch, like through centrifical force or something. That would pretty much seal the deal on any hope of these tcases being decent...

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I looked at that diagram and I don't see anything that goes to the clutch pack. But I'll be the first to admit that wiring diagrams aren't my strength.

My folks have a garage so I'll see if I can get over there and take a look at the wiring. I would love to have a switch that locks it up until you turn it off. This tcase would be decent if it just engaged the clutch the whole time its in 4lock/low. Breaking it free once its locked will take quite a bit of torque.

I'm really hoping its not a mechanically locking clutch, like through centrifical force or something. That would pretty much seal the deal on any hope of these tcases being decent...

No, it is a wet clutch, just like in a transmission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The wire that controls the clutch is tan in colour. It's pretty obvious which one it is, it's the only wire that doesnt go from the connector to the shift motor. It goes from the connector to rear housing.

As for adding an external control, it should work however it's very likely going to set a dtc and disable the system. The DTCM( Drivetrain Control Module ) monitors the clutch control circuit and if it detects voltage when there shouldn't be it will set a dtc and you will get a Service 4WD light.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The wire that controls the clutch is tan in colour. It's pretty obvious which one it is, it's the only wire that doesnt go from the connector to the shift motor. It goes from the connector to rear housing.

As for adding an external control, it should work however it's very likely going to set a dtc and disable the system. The DTCM( Drivetrain Control Module ) monitors the clutch control circuit and if it detects voltage when there shouldn't be it will set a dtc and you will get a Service 4WD light.

That wire is also on the 44-45 transfer case so I would guess that isn't it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That wire is also on the 44-45 transfer case so I would guess that isn't it.

That's because both the 44-44 and 44-45 have a clutch coil controlled by the DTCM. If you're after the wire applies power to clutch that is the wire.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's because both the 44-44 and 44-45 have a wet clutch controlled by the DTCM. If you're after the wire applies power to clutch that is the wire.

44-45 doesn't have a clutch, it is a spline lock not a clutch lock.
Otherwise there would be no difference between them.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I used the wrong term there. I meant clutch coil not the wet clutch. The 44-44 has a wet clutch but both have a clutch coil, on the 44-44 the shift motor is only responsible for changing the range not the mode. The mode is controlled by the clutch coil. So like I said the tan wire is the one you want.

On the 44-45 the motor is responsible for changing range as well as mode, the clutch coil on the 44-45 is only used to assist the shift motor.

But hey, what the hell do I know. I've just been a chrysler tech for several years and have actually torn down both transfer cases.

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome, ill see if i can come up with anything next time i get a chance, should be similar to my old titan, the rear locker only worked in 4lo but with some minor wiring and a dpdt relay it works whenever you want it to

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Awesome, ill see if i can come up with anything next time i get a chance, should be similar to my old titan, the rear locker only worked in 4lo but with some minor wiring and a dpdt relay it works whenever you want it to

It just works of 12v so it would be pretty simple to wire in. Only issue like I said before is that it may end up setting a Serv 4wd light.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Mind if I ask what happens when that Serv 4wd light is set, does anything go into gimp mode?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think it's going to be as simple as you think by installing a switch.

Check out this thread. There's a lot of posts, but there is a guy that fixed it in post #160:
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/4x4_problem_ram_2013_8-speed-40753/index16.html

I think that was an extreme case though where there was a massive delay. I'm sure the delay is still there just not as noticeable. It still doesn't change the fact it isn't locking the transfer case full time in 4 lock or low.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think that was an extreme case though where there was a massive delay. I'm sure the delay is still there just not as noticeable. It still doesn't change the fact it isn't locking the transfer case full time in 4 lock or low.

Honestly I don't know why they chose to operate the system the way it is. It would really just be a simple software update to apply the clutch coil constantly when in 4lock/4lo. Although I have a feeling it's designed that way to prevent excessive clutch wear. At least Rams not the only one with that issue, both Ford and GM have used the BW transfer cases and operate in a similar way with their 4wd autos.