Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission build cost

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by Iron Outlaw, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Iron Outlaw

Iron Outlaw Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    So my trans is slipping on the 3-4 shift under heavy load and jumping into limp mode. How much does it cost for a new/rebuilt one? Im not talking about patching it up like ram seems like to do under warranty work, but a full replacement or rebuild. I want it done right and I want a good warranty for it.

About 4 years ago we were quoted $3800 for rebuilding a 68rfe, which I understand is really closely related to the unit behind the 6.4 hemi. A couple years later we were quoted $4800. Another shop recently said $6800. I've seen guys post on here over $7k.

I'm pretty sick to pay so much for repairs on a truck that's not even paid for yet, but I cant talk myself into starting over on new payments.

2. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    Contact ATS diesel, and see if they can help you out. It would probably be the last transmission for the life your truck.
    https://www.atsdiesel.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelrc51 and WY.Ram like this.
  3. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    I paid a little over $6k installed for my built trans a year ago. It was done by a local trans shop. It has a Sonnax performance overdrive hub, Revmax valve body, Revmax low/reverse sprag, HD clutches, billet input shaft, billet flexplate, mag-hytec deep pan, and so on. Even though the 66RFE is similar to the 68RFE, I don't think they can be swapped or have internal parts interchanged. I would also recommend a tighter torque converter to go along with your built trans.

4. Halligan

Halligan Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Is the truck out of warranty? If not get the half ass dealer fix for free then upgrade later. Otherwise find a good rebuild shop and use high end parts. It's kinda B.S. it cost so much to rebuild a transmission but everything in life is so damn expensive now. ATS used to be a good trans but I'd research any company before pulling the trigger.

5. Iron Outlaw

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I'm out of warranty. I'm gonna get it looked at monday but I'm thinking full rebuild now.

5th gear slips continuously until it goes into limp mode and the 3-4 shift slips bad.

6. ICEMANFiZ

ICEMANFiZ Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Spent $4200 at local trans shop about 2 years ago around 120k miles. They beefed it up as well all In that cost. I’m sure it’s inflated because of vastly growing economy by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. haggis

haggis Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    mine went into limp mode two years ago and the solenoid pack was replaced 600$. Then a little over a year later limp mode again and had the transmission rebuilt $4000. 173k miles.

8. Iron Outlaw

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    173k isnt awful. Not great by any means. I really was hoping to go around 200,000 without any major things breaking

9. 62Blazer

62Blazer Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I typically recommend finding a local trans shop to do the work versus buying a unit online. That is because of any possible warranty issues down the road as it's generally a pain to deal with online shops. Typically it turns into an argument between it being a bad transmission versus being installed wrong, and then you usually have to pull the trans and ship it back to the online company to evaluate and maybe fix it if they determine it was a bad build. You generally have to pay up front for the labor of removing the trans and shipping cost, and then be out of a truck for a month.

10. Iron Outlaw

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Just to update. Called two dealers to do solenoid recall. They are both trying to source parts and havent called me back. Dont know how long it would take to get them.

I've tried getting a quote locally for full rebuild. Two shops turned me down and one other one hasn't called me back. Seems like the 66rfe is the black sheep of transmissions.

Ats doesnt have any cores in stock but would build mine if I ship it on my dime. Would price it the same as a 68rfe build.