Transmission build cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If there was a kit out there to do it I definitely would. But I would probably need a new transfer case/driveshafts too and by the time electronics are replaced I'm sure it would be 10,000 plus and I would be a Guinea pig.
Easy enough to do a part number comparison between a 2016 and 2020 truck to see what might be different....but I do understand it would be a serious expense. The Maxcare warranty on mine, and the fact it's paid for, was the single biggest reason I didn't upgrade to the new truck/transmission this year.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I finally found a local shop who specializes in diesel truck transmissions. Hes going to build my 66rfe with some upgraded parts and a billet torque converter for $4500.00
I'm taking it tomorrow. Im excited to finally get the truck running right again.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was going to say throw a hell mary & put some Lucas (or another brand) stop slip in it. $4,500 sounds fair from what I have read. With the incentives they are throwing out there now I would have been more than tempted to trade it in. Almost bet money you could get an equally equipped truck for the same or lower payment.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I finally got it back. $4387 out the door. Billet converter and upgraded some internal. Upped the pressure some. Man, it's not even like the same transmission. With the latest update its holding gears way longer and not shifting near as much. Shifts smooth as butter. I never knew these transmissions could be so smooth. Before even when new it was clunky and shifted way too early.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What parts did they put into your transmission?
Not sure on brand but we did a billet convertor, line pressure booster, upgraded a bunch of stuff I dont know what it is honestly. Pistons, accumulators? He did some modifications to the valve body. He told me step by step everything he did and honestly I don't know a lot about transmissions so I just told him to go with and and paid him. I think he mentioned using sonnax parts.

elnook909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2010 4x4 2500 with the 6.7, at 241,000 miles the overdrive clutches just failed so im getting a full trans rebuild with beefier parts, billet TC, HD clutch packs, Trans CO tuneless shift kit for $4100 and 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Not sure on brand but we did a billet convertor, line pressure booster, upgraded a bunch of stuff I dont know what it is honestly. Pistons, accumulators? He did some modifications to the valve body. He told me step by step everything he did and honestly I don't know a lot about transmissions so I just told him to go with and and paid him. I think he mentioned using sonnax parts.
This is an old thread, but how miles were on your truck when the failure occurred?

DanEddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First let me say this, the 68RFE stock unit has fatal flaws in it from Mother MOPAR and you should not replace a trans with another stock trans. it will only do the same things. Buy an aftermarket rebuilt trans that's built to either a Stage I or Stage II level. Make sure the rebuilt unit has a billet input shaft, an aftermarket valve body and pump, and clutch packs that have more clutch and sheet discs in it. Also consider a triple disc converter.
You can find, online, a number of well known trans builders that know what they're doing and can provide you with either a Stage I or Stage II trans for between $4500 to $6400. Then you can install this or have it installed and have a long life with it.