Transmission CLUNK and it got stuck in 3rd gear. Check Engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Still-new 2019 Bighorn, only 2700 miles... just happened this morning. Happened while driving around 20mph. So I parked the truck.. turned it off then back on. Transmission resumed working normally but check engine light stayed on, guessing it threw a code.

Oh well. Back to the dealership tomorrow, it’s still well under warranty.

2nd dealer visit since I bought it new (first was the brake booster going out at 1500 miles.)

REALLY hoping this isn’t a sign of issues facing me with this truck that I’ve loved so far...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Still-new 2019 Bighorn, only 2700 miles... just happened this morning. Happened while driving around 20mph. So I parked the truck.. turned it off then back on. Transmission resumed working normally but check engine light stayed on, guessing it threw a code.

Oh well. Back to the dealership tomorrow, it’s still well under warranty.

2nd dealer visit since I bought it new (first was the brake booster going out at 1500 miles.)

REALLY hoping this isn’t a sign of issues facing me with this truck that I’ve loved so far...

Hello condor767,
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes. If you are interested in additional assistance throughout this process, please feel free to reach out to us privately.
Laura

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello Laura

A little divine intervention happened the morning of the appointment. Just before driving to the dealership I noticed that the check engine light had gone out. Called the dealership to discuss.. service department advised me that the truck “fixed itself” after a few drive cycles. Transmission has been working fine ever since I restarted it after the event. So hopefully this problem has fixed itself.

thanks,
Condor767

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello Laura

A little divine intervention happened the morning of the appointment. Just before driving to the dealership I noticed that the check engine light had gone out. Called the dealership to discuss.. service department advised me that the truck “fixed itself” after a few drive cycles. Transmission has been working fine ever since I restarted it after the event. So hopefully this problem has fixed itself.

thanks,
Condor767
I wouldn't take that answer from any dealer with a transmission let alone anything else and I've been in the dealership for 20+ years.

Sure, the check engine light is no longer illuminated because it passed the next 3 trips without a failure but that DTC was set for a reason.

I would insist that the dealership write a repair order to document the concern and if they won't I would find a new dealer to work with.

At least ask them to write up a repair order and connect the WiTech to it see if the code is stored in the TCM and to see if it set a 1-trip failure.

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wouldn't take that answer from any dealer with a transmission let alone anything else and I've been in the dealership for 20+ years.

Sure, the check engine light is no longer illuminated because it passed the next 3 trips without a failure but that DTC was set for a reason.

I would insist that the dealership write a repair order to document the concern and if they won't I would find a new dealer to work with.

At least ask them to write up a repair order and connect the WiTech to it see if the code is stored in the TCM and to see if it set a 1-trip failure.

That’s good advice, I’ll get on it. Thx

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s good advice, I’ll get on it. Thx
I hope you can make it somewhere with your dealership. Having a tech say that the trans fixed itself is absolute laziness. If you can't get the service department to write up a repair order I'd suggest messaging @RamCares and ask them for their guidance. Let us know how it turns out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello Laura

thanks,
Condor767

Hello condor767,
Thank you for following up with me here! We are happy to hear your concern seems to have resolved itself. Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Laura
RamCares

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all, update on the tranny.

The dealership contacted FCA and received authorization to change out a valve body in the tranny that caused the clunk and stuck gear. This was a result of reading the stored code. So the truck goes in next week for the work which is all done under warranty.

Thanks again for all the advice. Truck continues to run great and I’m still very happy with my purchase.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi all, update on the tranny.

The dealership contacted FCA and received authorization to change out a valve body in the tranny that caused the clunk and stuck gear. This was a result of reading the stored code. So the truck goes in next week for the work which is all done under warranty.

Thanks again for all the advice. Truck continues to run great and I’m still very happy with my purchase.

Hello condor767,
We are certainly happy to hear your concern is getting fixed with the help of your dealer. Please know our team is available if needed throughout this process.
Laura
RamCares

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

I was told they can see old codes that have gone on ? sounds like lazy place call another place and ask ok ! it will come back on in 2 weeks bet ! I have that with codes in my dodge them 4 days later it went back on never went off ok

Greg E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been happening to me for months. They changed the valve body and still not fixed. 28000 miles on my Limited and it locks in 3rd or slams hard into 4th. I have to shut off the truck and restart. Still happens almost every time it goes from 3rd to 4th. Now it is having a hard time going into reverse. 7 times to the dealer so far and still not fixed. Still under warranty, but not a reliable truck at all. On top of that today I took it to the car wash and the moon roof is now leaking.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has been happening to me for months. They changed the valve body and still not fixed. 28000 miles on my Limited and it locks in 3rd or slams hard into 4th. I have to shut off the truck and restart. Still happens almost every time it goes from 3rd to 4th. Now it is having a hard time going into reverse. 7 times to the dealer so far and still not fixed. Still under warranty, but not a reliable truck at all. On top of that today I took it to the car wash and the moon roof is now leaking.
I'd be working on getting that thing lemon lawed!!!

shredwardc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Did you ever get this fixed?? My 2021 rebel has been doing that exact same thing with 3rd gear into 4th but only once when I first drive out of the driveway in the morning… seems worse when it sits for a day or 2.. now today it just threw a “service transmission” message and the check engine light came on and it got stuck in 3rd gear…. I shut the truck off and turned back on and everything seems to work normal now and the check engine light is gone. Waited a bit and drove it again and again it seems fine and no lights or messages…. Now I’m worried to drive far from my place…

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue on my 4th gen. Good luck, they replaced the transmission and it was good until it went out again lol. I traded that SOB in.