Transmission debacle-2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i do want to go to an aftermarket trans shop but my issue is the existing warranty...

what if the engine or transfer case goes after a trans build? id be SOOL

a built up 66RFE will be setting you back about $5,000-6,000 and that doesnt include core charge should you decide to keep a spare....

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i do want to go to an aftermarket trans shop but my issue is the existing warranty...

a built up 66RFE will be setting you back about $5,000-6,000 and that doesnt include core charge should you decide to keep a spare....

Ive been paranoid about my warranty since day 1.

But my thinking is starting to change - look at stories like this thread. Dealers just want to deny there is an issue, whether it be laziness or greed or whatever, they find a way to make it "normal".

Now, two things can happen - you find a dealer that actually will fix it (yeah, right) or the truck breaks and you bring it to the dealer that said "its normal". Do you want them working on your truck? Im not sure I would.

Im in a similar dilemma, now the best I can do is a dealer 30 minutes away in hopes that they think I have an issue, not just normal. The funny thing is, getting them to say "yeah thats not right" is easy....after sitting in a waiting room for 3 hours they come back with "its normal!". So, which is it?

Point being any warranty that we worry about keeping intact is becoming less and less worth it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I don’t disagree. Heavy/costly mods are hard to swallow if it voids warranty. But if you could “cash out” and apply the amount Ram would spend on the transmission repairs, to build your dream tranny, that no doubt that would be intriguing.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t disagree. Heavy/costly mods are hard to swallow if it voids warranty. But if you could “cash out” and apply the amount Ram would spend on the transmission repairs, to build your dream tranny, that no doubt that would be intriguing.
my thoughts exactly broheim

they already spent 35oo on a botched fix

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
trucks back in my hands.

driving and shifting more solid. Still have Hard downshifts as i always remembered.

Dont remember the trans spending so much time in 3rd though? like it chooses to be in 3rd more often, which does keep me in the power band better.

( im guessing the trans unlearns this behavior by learning how to be more fuel efficient...which is why it gets more sluggish overtime)(this happened when i jumped onto 37s, but is more pronounced now)

feels like its slipping through 1st gear, but is that a "factory fresh reset" condition as it learns my driving habits?

i wish that **** would just lock up for performance sake.... standstill takeoffs feel like im just slipping away from a stop.

upgraded TC would do alot for these trucks, even without a better gear ratio

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
My buddy posted this:
“ I know there has been lots of discussion about resetting the KAM learning to improve tranny behavior, idling performance, etc., but I think it is worth mentioning again. I’ve had my 2019 for a couple of months, and I recently encountered a number of issues that will be the subject of another thread once I know how it all will come out. As a result of these issues, I decided to disconnect my battery to make 100% sure that my KAM was reset. “

I know that in the pass, turning of Traction control fixed the first gear issues.

Last edited:

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Dont remember the trans spending so much time in 3rd though?

Mine lingers in 3rd as well. One of 2 clutches that burned up. But I had 118k of towing and plowing on mine. Plus a BullyDog on the 3rd setting.

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2018 6.4 with 15,8xx miles on the clock. Truck is slipping in reverse and klunks hard when shifting P/R/N/D. Doesn’t always happen. Happened 2 key cycles last weekend and 3 times this weekend after the truck had been on the highway. Doesn’t do it cold. Forward gears seem fine. I only drive the truck on the weekends and have never even connected a trailer. I haul feed often but not even a trailer. Not what I had hoped for a new 3/4 ton...

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so after getting the truck back with the new valve body, i maybe had a week with it before i had to bring it back in to have the Radio(uconnect screen) replaced. It was in shipment, so they could not efficiently have it done at the same time.

radio was replaced in about a weeks time from drop off to pickup and i get the truck back, hoping ill have a few months with it before the next oil change....

3 days later i wake up to a dead battery... will barely take a charge and wont crank for whatever reason...(i had no idea the battery was going)
maybe the radio swap and trans testing killed it with engine off?

had the truck flat bed towed to the dealer..

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe they didnt tighten the battery clamps very well? if they needed to be removed during the trans fix.

Happened to my Honda Accord once....trans actually needed replacing, they did it but apparently didnt tighten one of the terminal clamps. Started getting random ABS lights, etc. Dealer said "looks like you need another new transmission", I told them "no, you didnt tighten the battery clamps".

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so after getting the truck back with the new valve body, i maybe had a week with it before i had to bring it back in to have the Radio(uconnect screen) replaced. It was in shipment, so they could not efficiently have it done at the same time.

radio was replaced in about a weeks time from drop off to pickup and i get the truck back, hoping ill have a few months with it before the next oil change....

3 days later i wake up to a dead battery... will barely take a charge and wont crank for whatever reason...(i had no idea the battery was going)
maybe the radio swap and trans testing killed it with engine off?

had the truck flat bed towed to the dealer..

My battery died with under 2000 miles if memory serves me right. Maybe sooner. I have read of a few others with batteries dying way sooner than they should. I have a feeling they are just getting some ****** batteries maybe...

Well lets hope the trans is all good from here on out!!!!

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I bought my '18 PW battery died within the first 3 weeks, they had to tow it from my driveway because it wouldn't take a charge! 1 year later everything is great, so I'm thinking it was a crap battery from factory. Dealer replaced it with zero issues.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
this battery has been beyond flawless for me through all i have put it through...

many led pods
SPOD
compressor
air solenoids
idling alot

it wasnt the battery.

it was probably the endless KEY on ENGINE off type process and testing of a new transmission and radio screen, taking out a 2 year old battery (25k miles Dec17 purchase)