Transmission Fluid Change - Forget Dropping the pan - get this!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I just Googled the cost of a transmission change on my 2019 Ram 2500 4x4. About $200. The exact amount may differ at the dealership I go to however. I just paid almost $500 just for a fuel filter change at this dealer. $200 does not seem out of line with the other maintenance costs.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I just Googled the cost of a transmission change on my 2019 Ram 2500 4x4. About $200. The exact amount may differ at the dealership I go to however. I just paid almost $500 just for a fuel filter change at this dealer. $200 does not seem out of line with the other maintenance costs.

That seems low. Think of the material cost alone.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many vehicles do not even have filters these days. Think about all those trucks that don't change their fluid over 100K miles and everything still runs.

Seems like a waste of time and money. Might as well just leave it alone. But then this is why there those crazy warnings on products.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I installed a Dorman pan with drain plug, that is designed for the 4x4 trucks, on my 454RFE transmission in my 2wd truck. The pan gives me around an extra quart of fluid capacity. I also had to use the 4x4 filter kit, since the pickup tube is longer for the 4 wheel drive trucks. I also installed a 2500/3500 transmission fluid cooler on my 1500 truck, more than twice the fluid capacity, and cooling than the stock transmission cooler.

IMG_0827.JPG

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You never get all the fluid out when you drop the pan.
Have to agree on this one, especially the torque converter.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062808 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not changing the filters is a horribly bad idea, especially with the 68RFE (545RFE is basically the same trans). They already have valve body wear issues, due to MOPAR using the cheapest aluminum alloy to make the valve bodies, no need to accelerate the issue by trying to cut a corner.
Long around 2017 they started anodizing the valve bodies on RFEs to address this issue.

Despite the high miles I usually put on my vehicles, the only valve body wearing issues I've experienced were on my 4L60/5L60s and my ex's Avalon.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062808 miles.

carguy79ta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 outdoorsman
Engine
6.7 cummins, 200 hp tune, fleece turbo
Hi guys first post..2013 ram. I changed my tranny fluid last year. Extracted all I could with a vac extractor that I use for my boat. Dropped the pan.. cleaned..replace filter etc reinstalled pan. Then I basically filled with trans fluid and would run the motor to pump out old fluid about 3 times so I probly replaced 90%+ of my trans fluid. It was a PITA because there is a heat actuated valve in the dist block that had me stumped..don't remember exactly what I did to make it pump out properly bu I think I had to completely disconnect the distribution block. I did make a mess but it cleaned up. Also beware the pan bolts are 5mm (?)fine thread and I stripped 2. However I bought longer ones and was able to run them thru the flange and put a nut on them. Used the Chrysler rtv. It was cheap..like 10 bucks IIRC. Have fun!

Attachments

• 20190207_070453.jpg
    20190207_070453.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190208_173622.jpg
    20190208_173622.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 26

Texcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the 66rfe, so I'm good.

545 RFE, 66RFE, 68 RFE - all the essentially the same transmission. Considerining Sonnax has come out with a complete valve body for this series of trans speaks volumes.

Long around 2017 they started anodizing the valve bodies on RFEs to address this issue.

Despite the high miles I usually put on my vehicles, the only valve body wearing issues I've experienced were on my 4L60/5L60s and my ex's Avalon.

Regards,
Dusty
The 4L60 has a cast iron valve body and typically don't have much issue with wear in the bores. There's no such thing as a 5L60. Did you mean 4L65, 5L40/50 or 6L50 by chance?

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
545 RFE, 66RFE, 68 RFE - all the essentially the same transmission. Considerining Sonnax has come out with a complete valve body for this series of trans speaks volumes.

The 4L60 has a cast iron valve body and typically don't have much issue with wear in the bores. There's no such thing as a 5L60. Did you mean 4L65, 5L40/50 or 6L50 by chance?

The wear issue has no place in this thread. The point of this thread is changing the fluid. Some of the causes of wear are below. If you believe making the fluid change easier, cleaner, faster and more accessible is a bad idea, don't do it.

Lack of/poor lubrication​

Bearing in mind that the transmission valve body is made up of many components that are made of metal, proper lubrication is vital. This lubrication is specifically important for moving parts such as the valves that open and close to allow hydraulic fluid to go through them. When the lubricant used becomes worn out or leaks out, the metal parts of the transmission valve body rub against each other and wear out, causing tiny metal pieces to find their way into the transmission fluid. The effect of this is that the gears may stick and in turn fail to work as required.

Fluid contamination​

The transmission fluid is also required to be completely clean and at a very specific pressure. When there is contamination in the fluid caused by dust particles, for instance, the pressure is affected due to the loss of viscosity of the fluid. Once the pressure is affected then the entire transmission system is compromised because it works based on the transfer of pressure throughout the system.

Overall wear and tear of parts​

This is the simple major cause of many car problems in general. The more the moving parts a component has, the more likely it is to become worn out and break down. The transmission valve system has several components all of which can be affected by age and cause problems in the overall functions of the valve body.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
"Dust particles"? Where did that information come from? Transmissions are multi machine-element devices. They contain bearings, gears, clutches, hydraulics, and torque converters. The only thing they don't have is chemical reactions (combustion).
Therefore, from a contamination standpoint, the oil is subject to clutch wear shavings, gear wear shavings, thermal oxidation products, and moisture from the atmospheric breather vent. This is why even the highest quality transmission oil needs to be changed at regular intervals, including the filter(s).

It's also why I run an API Group III synthetic instead of a Group IV or V. I'm not striving for extended oil change intervals due to the contaminant loading. And - importantly for Ram owners - deleting the trans oil cooler thermostat brings oil temp down to normal hot running temps. Don't let Ram $hit you that 160-200F trans oil temp is "normal". It certainly wasn't with the original system design, and the fact they f'd up the thermostat addition doesn't make it "normal". Just like the Hemi valve lifter ticking isn't "normal". These are both design DEFECTS the corporation deflects.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a Dorman pan with drain plug, that is designed for the 4x4 trucks, on my 454RFE transmission in my 2wd truck. The pan gives me around an extra quart of fluid capacity. I also had to use the 4x4 filter kit, since the pickup tube is longer for the 4 wheel drive trucks. I also installed a 2500/3500 transmission fluid cooler on my 1500 truck, more than twice the fluid capacity, and cooling than the stock transmission cooler.

View attachment 480139
I basically did they same thing in my 65rfe minus the trans cooler. Did you have any issues adding the correct amount of fluid? According to the dip stick youre suppose to get the trans up to 170 and then check in N. Problem is my trans doesn't get that hot. The highest in can get the damn thing is 150 therefore im not sure if IRS fluid level is correct. My reverse will not engage which may be a sign of low fluid but all other gears runs perfect. Even performed a relearn with alpha obd and tested each gear vis alpha. All passed so not sure what's going on. Appreciate any feedback/advice.