Transmission fluid for 2014 ram 1500 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leiterterry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was wondering, If I have a max care warranty and I want to change my transmission fluid myself, where is the cheapest place besides dodge that I could find it? The fluid is Mopar ZF 8 & 9 Speed ATF. Deal!er wants 34.85 per liter.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can buy the Mopar fluid which is simply ZF Lifeguard 8 in a Mopar bottle or you can search and buy 6 liters of actual ZF fluid for a bit less. You also need to change the trans pan/filter assembly. And there are specific instructions to follow:

Attachments

• ZF Trans Service Instructions.pdf
    714 KB · Views: 19

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You will need to raise the rear wheels off the ground about 9-10 inches to level the transmission.

Also, crack the fill plug loose BEFORE opening the drain on the transmission pan.

There are other instructions posted by @Wild one throughout this site, on a green sheet. These came from a brand new 8HP70. Follow them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was wondering, If I have a max care warranty and I want to change my transmission fluid myself, where is the cheapest place besides dodge that I could find it? The fluid is Mopar ZF 8 & 9 Speed ATF. Deal!er wants 34.85 per liter.
Little bubble level on the pan rail works good for leveling the transmissions pan rail,as Ed stated you need the rear tires in the air a fair bit to get it level.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 29

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Walmart used to sell name-brand ATF+4 fairly cheap. IDK what the price is these days.

I go to a small-town Chrysler/GM dealership and if ya bring in yer own jug they'll sell fluids out of their bulk barrel cheaper than anyone else sells it for, and half of what they sell their own pre-packaged fluid for. There's a small town Chevy dealer that does the same thing ...with just about any fluids they sell. They'll sell special transfer case or P/S fluids by the quart, but antifreeze or tranny fluid by the gallon-only. The larger dealerships will just laugh at you if you ask about that. In fact, the Chrysler/Jeep dealer has a whole stack of clean milk jugs in the corner of the parts department if you don't have your own jug!! LOL. So if you have a small-town dealer near you, give the parts guy a call and see what they say about buying bulk fluids. If not, call another small dealership.

I try to keep various vehicle fluids OEM (other than motor oil -- and gear lube, which I standardized on Walmart Synth) so it's easy to keep track of what's in which vehicle. I switched to Walmart gear lube 20+ years ago, never had a problem. A couple Jeeps I ran up over 300k miles till they basically rotted apart! :D

OP
OP
L

Leiterterry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I had a 2014 ram with a hp70 8 speed transmission and my mechanic mistakenly put in 6 qts of Valvoline max life (red) by mistake and I wanted to flush out All traces, can it be done? I know it would have to have the torque converter drained, but any other suggestions?
Thanks

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Some members on here have used the Valvoline MaxLife in their 8 speeds, with good results. Plus, MaxLife costs about the same per gallon that ZF or Mopar fluid does per qt.

Each drain and fill only uses about 5-1/2 qts, and the 8 speed holds 9 ish qts., so you would have to do several drain and fills to get most of the fluid out.

OP
OP
L

Leiterterry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. But for instance say, I have a max care warranty and my mechanic made a mistake and did not put in OEM parts instead he put in val max red fluid. What can I do to as cheap as possible to get every bit of the Red fluid out.
Thxs

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's over, you will never get it back to green. If they can put it on a flush machine, it would be possible, but I'm not sure they have a flush machine for the zf8, even if they did, you would have to use the process to check the fluid LEVEL. As for maxlife red, it is a very suitable replacement for the zf fluid, literally the only difference is the dye. They have the same exact pour point, it is your random group 3 base oil. There is a bunch left in TC with no way to flush.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the info. But for instance say, I have a max care warranty and my mechanic made a mistake and did not put in OEM parts instead he put in val max red fluid. What can I do to as cheap as possible to get every bit of the Red fluid out.
Thxs
You could probably flush it about 10 times with ZF fluid, at some point you would have a small enough amount of red fluid left to not be noticeable, and a much lighter wallet.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could probably flush it about 10 times with ZF fluid, at some point you would have a small enough amount of red fluid left to not be noticeable, and a much lighter wallet.
I would say it's on the mechanic now. RockAuto or Amazon will prob be the cheapest places you will find for ZF or Mopar fluid, unless you find a dealer that will sell it bulk as previously mentioned.

You also have to get the trans up to operating temp I believe, as there is a bypass valve. That, or unhooking lines and flushing manually, but not sure what a can of worms that is.

OP
OP
L

Leiterterry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for replying.
The fluid moves through the TC while truck is running on the road. Wouldn't the fluid flush machines normal operation simulate running on the road as well, thereby making fluid move through the TC?
Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you for replying.
The fluid moves through the TC while truck is running on the road. Wouldn't the fluid flush machines normal operation simulate running on the road as well, thereby making fluid move through the TC?
Thanks
By the time you buy enough ZF fluid to flush the system till it's back to the proper colour,odds are you'll have spent more money then the transmission is worth. Personally i think you're worrying about nothing,odds are the transmission will outlast the truck,and worrying about your warrenty won't be an issue. Change it again in a couple thousand miles,and that should get the majority of the Max Life out of it,then call it good and drive the truck till it dies or you trade it off

OP
OP
L

Leiterterry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. To tell you the truth I trusted my mechanic to change the transmission fluid per OEM standards for the Max Care Warranty I have on the truck. But again, thank you for helping me out.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
35 bucks a litre, yikes. However if thats a dealer warranty you might wanna go that route as they change filter and such. I know here if you diy oil or tranny fluids and any problems arise their apt to say tough luck.