Transmission fluid - not to change, or run it low??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Can't you just put a couple boards down and drive up on them to level the pan?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm guessing you missed the part about having the truck shift into 2nd gear in the instruction sheet.Read it a little closer.
This step always gets me thinking which is dangerous lol
In the ZF published service information the flow chart only states that the transmission should be shifted P-R-D-D1-D2. Nothing about the transmission making the shift, only the selector being moved. This tranny is used in a bunch of high end vehicles that use electronic engagement control so is this a Chrysler specific quirk or is there a disconnect here like lifetime fluid versus 60k fluid changes? There are several Chrysler techs with YouTube vids showing the pan/fluid change on Chargers and 300’s and none of them actually use the wheels spinning transmission shift to 2nd, only moving to second on the selector. To my knowledge all of these transmissions are electronic input with no mechanical engagement selector of the good ole days. But I also know that if I’m driving along on the highway and select manual shift selection the transmission won’t shift to a higher gear unless it’s in a designated RPM range no matter how hard I push the upshift button lol
I’ve changed my fluid twice and kept the wheels on the ground backed up an incline to level the pan. I’ve just used the manual selection buttons to shift to second but I’ve been wrong many times just ask the wife. Do you know the why behind this step? I know you have in depth knowledge and lots of money invested in your transmission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the ZF published service information the flow chart only states that the transmission should be shifted P-R-D-D1-D2. Nothing about the transmission making the shift, only the selector being moved. This tranny is used in a bunch of high end vehicles that use electronic engagement control so is this a Chrysler specific quirk or is there a disconnect here like lifetime fluid versus 60k fluid changes? There are several Chrysler techs with YouTube vids showing the pan/fluid change on Chargers and 300’s and none of them actually use the wheels spinning transmission shift to 2nd, only moving to second on the selector. To my knowledge all of these transmissions are electronic input with no mechanical engagement selector of the good ole days. But I also know that if I’m driving along on the highway and select manual shift selection the transmission won’t shift to a higher gear unless it’s in a designated RPM range no matter how hard I push the upshift button lol
I’ve changed my fluid twice and kept the wheels on the ground backed up an incline to level the pan. I’ve just used the manual selection buttons to shift to second but I’ve been wrong many times just ask the wife. Do you know the why behind this step? I know you have in depth knowledge and lots of money invested in your transmission.
Supposedly need the tires spinning in 2nd to fill the clutch circuits is my understanding.I don't trust Chryslers procedure,when both Chiltons and Haynes manuals are a carbon copy of the instructions that came with my "new" transmission,not a rebuilt transmission,i'm more inclined to believe the ZF instructions. You also have to realize the 8 speeds in the cars sit virtually level,while the 8 speed in the trucks sit at a downward angle,so the cars will take more fluid before it runs out the fill plug then the trucks will unless you level the transmission in the trucks,the fill plug is towards the rear of the transmission,so a downward angle ,won't let you put as much fluid in a truck compared to a car.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You probably want the wheels off the ground so it will shift through the gears and get any air out of the system to assure it's full.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ZF says to level the pan rail,and so do the Chiltons and Haynes manuals.More inclined to believe ZF over Chrysler,as they're the ones who design and build the 8HP70.These are the instructions that came with my brand new 8HP70,you'll notice the only part high lighted is the part about leveling the pan rail.
Apparently that was supported in the 4th gen service manual, however, that was changed for the DT and the 8HP75 transmissions. I should not have assumed we were addressing gen 5s.
ZF says to level the pan rail,and so do the Chiltons and Haynes manuals.More inclined to believe ZF over Chrysler,as they're the ones who design and build the 8HP70.These are the instructions that came with my brand new 8HP70,you'll notice the only part high lighted is the part about leveling the pan rail.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74702 miles