Transmission issue? 545RFE common problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Well, it's a 2008 Ram 1500 2WD with a auto tranny (5.7 Hemi)

I noticed yesterday that the tranny was acting a little funny, I was parked at the store and placed it in reverse to move out of the parking stall and when I placed it into Drive I had to rev the engine a bit more than I usually do, I quickly placed the column shifter into 1st and 2nd and it acted normal when pressing the accelerator..

Came to a stop at the light and it did the same thing, it would move but I had to press the accelerator further than I normally would, then I placed it into 2nd gear on the column and it went right into gear and was accelerating fine.. Luckily I was close to home and parked it immediately.

What could be causing this issue? A solenoid? pressure plate? Hopefully it's not in need of a rebuilt tranny or a new one.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Sam

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? It may need some fluid or a fluid change.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I have roughly 187K miles on it and had the tranny fluids R&R with both filters about 28K miles ago and it had been working fine, up until yesterday. No leaks or trans fluid droppings anywhere on the floor.

I did start it up this morning and took it around the block and it seemed ok in "Drive" but parked it and used my work vehicle.

I'll double check the fluid levels later today when I get home. I believe the proper way to check is allow the vehicle to run, set it on neutral, put the parking brake on and check the levels?

Any ideas as to what it might be?

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Park will work fine too and safer. Check it hot/completely warmed up for best accuracy. You don’t want to overfill it either.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Well, I turned on the truck but obviously y didn't let it get hot as I didn't have that much time, but I did place it in Neutral with the engine running, blocks on the tires, and the engine was cold and after cleaning the tranny dipstick, I inserted it back in and pulled it out and the fluid was almost up to the "hot" mark..

weird... that sounds like there is too much fluid, correct?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Engine has to be hot as well as the transmission it tells you on the dipstick check hot and the engine needs to be hot too not running for a few short minutes.You are not going to get a accurate reading.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Ended up taking it to a local trans shop this morning. The truck was shifting just fine this morning. I have a feeling it had something to do with the pressure sensor mounted on the side of the tranny. I've heard quite a few people talking about those and even the shop owner stated it could very well be that because when I selected 1st or 2nd gear on the column it bypassed the switch and straight to the gear... Hopefully that's all it is.

He's doing a full trans fluid and filters service and see if anything comes up in the fluid that shouldn't be there and check things out.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you all the luck transmission problem is not fun.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I always baby my truck, never abused so hopefully she will be nice to me when I get the call about the truck tomorrow.. Crossing my fingers and eyes for good measure. lol

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is things going with your trucks transmission I hope good?

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
So far it's working normal. The trans shop owner said that he's seen lots of pressure sensors fail, luckily mine happened to be close to somewhen it happened, but also interestingly enough it happened just after I took my truck to the car wash and parked it as I was picking up windshield cleaner at the auto store. So not sure if it shorted out temporarily because of the water but it also the age of the original sensor.

Replaced both filters, the sensor and filled it back up with synthetic fluids. 188,300 miles on her so far.

Hopefully this may help someone out in the future.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I also tow my trailer a few times a month for production events (around 3500-4000lbs) loaded with a 7x14 enclosed tandem axle trailer.

I know these truck s are lade to tow heavy loads, but curious to know how long can they do this for (as far as mileage) and what are some of the week points of a 545RFE tranny that can be upgraded?..

Sandro%20Ram%201500%20w_trailer_zpsylbcyf33.jpg

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
So far so good. It ended up being the pressure sensor on the side of the tranny.. He R&R all the fluid and checked for any anomalies in the drain pan and didn't see anything out of the ordinary so he said its still good. I do quite a bit of towing so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before e I need to have it rebuilt. That will be a $3K job... ouch.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I have 235k on my 03 5.7 quad cab. Towed most of its life. Replaced one sensor and the shift pack. Still running strong. I think they are good trans when you service them regulatory. (Hope our 2018 does as well)