Transmission issue. Seems strange to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blade57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 2500 4x4 5.7 Hemi.

We mainly use our truck to haul our BP, 3 horse trailer. Went out to the hills a couple of weeks ago, about 100 miles from home. Drove home with zero problems. This trailer loaded with a couple of horses is no problem at all for the truck.

Following day the wife started the truck and put her in Drive. Nothing. No movement in any of the gears whatsoever. Made sure the 4x4 selector was in gear and not in Neutral. Still nothing. No puddles of ATF underneath the truck. Dipped the Trans Fluid. Good level and a clear Orange colour. Got underneath the truck and made sure the cable was attached to the linkage and working as it should

The truck has 102,000 kilometres on the clock (64,000 miles)

Is my Transmission shot?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would find it unusual that it went from towing a trailer with no issues to having zero movement in any gear the next day. Does it make any noise at all when in gear and you hit the gas? Can you feel anything at all when shifting from drive to reverse?

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had something similar happen in my 2004 f150 years ago. It ended up being the shift cable. It could be similar or if it is electronic (not sure what year ram switched to electronic shifters) it could be a fuse somewhere.

OP
OP
B

Blade57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would find it unusual that it went from towing a trailer with no issues to having zero movement in any gear the next day. Does it make any noise at all when in gear and you hit the gas? Can you feel anything at all when shifting from drive to reverse?
No. There is zero movement of the truck in any gear, nor is there any noise from the tranny. This is why I am stumped. No warning sounds, smells or weird gear changes. Very strange.

OP
OP
B

Blade57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had something similar happen in my 2004 f150 years ago. It ended up being the shift cable. It could be similar or if it is electronic (not sure what year ram switched to electronic shifters) it could be a fuse somewhere.
It’s definitely a cable. As I said, I climbed underneath and had the wife work the Gear shift. The cable end and transmission linkage all shifted normally.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can say 90% your transmission isnt shot, this isnt the type of fatal symptoms we see with the rfe. I can't say what it is, sounds like something outside the transmission inner workings. Did you run codes? So you had your wife put it in drive and you were under it and heard the shifter linkage engage??

OP
OP
B

Blade57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can say 90% your transmission isnt shot, this isnt the type of fatal symptoms we see with the rfe. I can't say what it is, sounds like something outside the transmission inner workings. Did you run codes? So you had your wife put it in drive and you were under it and heard the shifter linkage engage??
The Cable attaches to a short arm that moves back and forth as the shifter lever is worked in the cab. There were no noises from the transmission as the arm (linkage?) moved back and forth.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It sounds like your issue is somewhere in the chain- rooster tail detent pin to the transmission cable, just not something inside the VB or Drum. The shifter linkage is on top of valve body, you can use this time to do a flush and change the filters, drop valve body and check the issue. It is fairly easy dyi project to drop the VB. If the rooster tail was putting the pin into the linkage it happens with every gear or at least into drive reverse or neutral, you would hear something. Maybe the rooster tail is loose, maybe the pin came out and you broke the rooster tail, dunno.

OP
OP
B

Blade57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May the screw on filter inside the pan came off ? This happened to my 545rfe once . Bad replacement filter I got . Same things you describe .