Transmission issues/truck value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColtonB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm new here so if I make any mistakes please let me know. Anyway, I have been having issues with the transmission in my truck (2001 1500 4x4 w/360) and it finally got to the point that I had to quit driving it. The trans. has shifted a little harsh since I bought the truck about 6 months ago, but I was told it was probably sensor-related. I have replaced the gov. pressure sensor/solenoid as well as the throttle position sensor but had no luck. Now it is to the point that the truck wont shift out of second, no warning lights on the dash. Prior to this it shifted ok, not great, but it was drivable. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be or what I should be looking for? I got a quote from a trans. shop for a rebuild, which was $2800 including removal/install. Finally, does anyone have a guess what the truck would be worth as-is? I have put a lot of money into it so far and I'd really like to just move on from the whole deal, but I don't want to take a bath on it either. It has 152000 miles and is in decent condition, not perfect, but not bad for the age and being a Michigan truck. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I will post a picture of the truck for reference.

Thanks!
Colton

truck picture (2001 Dodge).jpg

Reactions: Mop

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you boot it. Did you do front and rear band adjustments? From what I have researched it sounds like you need to do a front band adjustment for your second gear issue. That can be done from the outside without pan removal. Personally $2,800 is cheap for rebuild. Its more here in Fl. I'm currently in the process of restoring my late wife 99 Ram that will go to our daughter down the road. I am going to run through the band adjustment deal since I have a slipping issue. If that doesn't cure then do a rebuild and move forward. This truck has 168,000 and that is very low millage for these trucks if taken care of. You have to keep this in mind. Its has over 100,000 miles on it so yes you will have to invest to keep it going but that's with any car or truck. With the price of new and used. It makes more sense to me to invest at a cheaper cost if the car or truck is in good shape and from your picture. That truck doesn't look bad at all. As to it worth? That depends of it condition and your location I believe.You will have to look at other trucks and their condition as well. Selling a truck with transmission issue will limit those interested as well what they are willing to pay. Personally I would watch some good you tube videos and try the band adjustments starting with the front band that could help or resolve your going into gear. If i remember reading something about it. It talked about adjusting it.

46re adjustment is breaking loose the lock nut and hand tighten the adjustment first with finger then proceed to tight it down to 72 inch pounds ( not lbs) the back off 1 3/4 turns and hold it and tighten back up the lock nut. Then see how it does.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1st thing to check is make sure the throttle pressure is working and adjusted properly.
Crawl under the truck, on the drivers side of the trans there is 2 levers going into the case of the trans.

The bottom lever moves when you shift from park to R,N,D,L.

The top lever is throttle pressure and moves as you press on the gas pedal and is responsible for upshift/downshift points.

With the engine off have someone slowly press the gas pedal to the floor as you observe the throttle pressure lever, it should move smoothly through the entire gas pedal travel, there is a spring that should return it to idle position.

If that checks ok its probably the front clutch seals, try a good quality trans additive/seal softener.

Band adjustments have nothing to do with 2-3 shift.
The front band is for 1-2 shift. The rear band is for Reverse

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1st thing to check is make sure the throttle pressure is working and adjusted properly.
Crawl under the truck, on the drivers side of the trans there is 2 levers going into the case of the trans.

The bottom lever moves when you shift from park to R,N,D,L.

The top lever is throttle pressure and moves as you press on the gas pedal and is responsible for upshift/downshift points.

With the engine off have someone slowly press the gas pedal to the floor as you observe the throttle pressure lever, it should move smoothly through the entire gas pedal travel, there is a spring that should return it to idle position.

If that checks ok its probably the front clutch seals, try a good quality trans additive/seal softener.

Band adjustments have nothing to do with 2-3 shift.
The front band is for 1-2 shift. The rear band is for Reverse
That's interesting. Nobody ever said the adjustment in the pan was reverse. I have that square bolt I believe on my transmission for the front band. If I remember ,they are a pain in the butt to do. What's a good trans additive/ seal softener?

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the same 01 truck, same miles. My brother bought the truck new,gave me the truck in 2016 because when he bought a new 2500 hemi the dealer allowed him $1000 on his . Body wasn't as nice. Trans. started not shifting. It would manual shift for a while, then not . Had rebuilt plus new converter for $2200. Rearend rebuilt, brake lines, frontend rebuilt, distributor replaced. Cut out the fender rust, rust proofed then got 5" flares to hide the holes. Rolled Monstaliner on bed and all chrome. Had door and rocker skins welded on. After tires and paint I invested about $12000. I helped with some of the work, especially the body work. I'd say your nice truck is worth a transmission and then some!

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The electronics in the 46RE transmissions are on the same circuit as the O2 sensors. I've read reports of a sensor replacement curing this problem.

In my case, the left front wheel well cover was missing when I bought the truck. It had the same problem with late shifting out of second after the engine warmed up. I bought a cover from a junkyard, and before installing it, I sprayed the electric connections on the rear of the wheel well with electronic spray cleaner. After that, the shifting problem went away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956