Transmission issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
2014 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4

Guys, been having a flaring shift from 3-4 from time to time, but now seeing flaring between 6-7, and a shudder in the 4-5 shift.

Planned on changing trans fluid and filter, but today it had a big flare going up a hill, and locked itself in 4th. Restart resolved it. Check engine light on, CTS2 unable to show code. Buddy put a snap on scanner on truck, and came up with several codes, but one for the trans.

P191D-00
Incorrect Gear Ratio - Clutch 3 Defective

Cleared the code, and flare only occasionally happens, usually kept down due to throttle foot.

Thoughts?

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I actually had to look that up (and totally was not aware of it being a thing...)

As to what causes it? No idea. If you have a Tow/Haul button (or something similar), would using that make a difference?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2014 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4

Guys, been having a flaring shift from 3-4 from time to time, but now seeing flaring between 6-7, and a shudder in the 4-5 shift.

Planned on changing trans fluid and filter, but today it had a big flare going up a hill, and locked itself in 4th. Restart resolved it. Check engine light on, CTS2 unable to show code. Buddy put a snap on scanner on truck, and came up with several codes, but one for the trans.

P191D-00
Incorrect Gear Ratio - Clutch 3 Defective

Cleared the code, and flare only occasionally happens, usually kept down due to throttle foot.

Thoughts?

Any drive train warranty left?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
why do you suggest that?is it better than say amsoil or redline? i assume they make trans fluid

Unless it is brand new, I don't believe either make a fluid for the 8 speed. There was a thread by a member who owns a shop and did a fluid change on an eight speed with valvoline trans fluid, stated suitable replace for our trans. He ended up replacing the trans on his dime when it failed.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would look for mopar type fluid, ravenol will likely save you several 100 dollars and is pao for mopar 8 speed, it's on you to double check this. This is green and a clone of the mopar stuff as far as I know. Meaning it was built to handle the higher operating temps of the zf but stay thin.

If you were to use redline it would be d6, closest to zf8 specs, don't use c+ in the 8 speed. I believe Amsoil makes one within spec as well. You are looking for a fluid that has a starting viscosty I believe around 6. Redline is spec'd for zf transmision, they just aren't saying the ram 8 speed for whatever reason. Once again, you are looking for an atf that can handle increased temps but maintain a thin visc. From redline on d6- Red Line full-synthetic D6 ATF is a lower viscosity version of the D4ATF and is designed for better fuel efficiency in CAFE testing. Dexron VI requires a different approach to a conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the Dexron VI fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than 5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt.

If I had the 8 speed, I'd run d6. But changing oil after you have an issue, can be risky and a waste anyhow. I guess it is worth a shot though, dunno. Do you have any idea how to change the fluid and filters on the 8 speed? It is a major affair. Look at shawn's eco diesel channel, he has the procedure I believe.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you decide to rebuild it,TCS has a rebuild kit for the 8HP70 that upgrades it to the newer 8HP75 spec's and is sort of affordable,cheaper then Paramounts kit,lol. The tranny cooler is in the top of the A/C condenser,and most places will recommend replacing the cooler/condenser,but if you pull the cooler lines at the front connectors,you can flush the lines and cooler separately.If you buy a new transmission,be forewarned it doesn't come with a new heater assembly,and you'll either have to flush your existing heater,or spring for a new one.Every tranny tech I talked to,reconmended using nothing but the ZF 8/9 speed fluid as your flushing medium and as your base fluid.Supposedly you can't use a solvent based flush fluid,as it'll take out the seals in the ZF,whether that's true or not,i can't say,i just bought extra fluid and used it to flush my cooler/lines and heater assembly.The biggest thing with the ZF fluid fill and check procedure is getting the rear of the truck in the air high enough to get the tranny pan rail level.The instructions that came with my brand new 8HP70 are very specific about making sure the pan rail is level front to rear and side to side,and every video I've seen on the fluid level checking procedure "does not" have the tranny pan rail level,so keep that in mind if you're watching them.Most of the video's have the procedure right,but nobody has the rear of the truck jacked up high enough to level the pan rail.Search on here,Boosted Motorsports has a good video on the procedure.BTW FCA stocks the new trannies in Michigan,so depending on where you're at,you might have to wait a day or 2 to get one.Took the dealer just over a week to get me one for my 14 when it went south,but i'm in Western Canada.FCA does sell them refurbished if you're so inclined to go that way,and they're about 1/2 the price of a new one,and have a 3 year warrenty with them.

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products...ttzsyr1vBPo7bZa9GkQXtM8WTLN2am2iJNwS3LAkGW13k

This is Webers video.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So, now that these trans have miles on them are having many problems.

I thought the RFE was bad. Really the only reason I want a new rams is for the 8 speed, but this makes me nervous.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I thought the RFE was bad. Really the only reason I want a new rams is for the 8 speed, but this makes me nervous.

My 4X4 had over 400 low 12 sec (DA corrected high 11's) 1/4 mile passes and 40,000 miles of "spirited" driving on it before it finally gave up the ghost.They're pretty damn reliable,lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 4X4 had over 400 low 12 sec (DA corrected high 11's) 1/4 mile passes and 40,000 miles of "spirited" driving on it before it finally gave up the ghost.They're pretty damn reliable,lol

Yeah, for the most part that's what I've heard.
Just seems old he's having problems, even though he does have 100K miles..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, for the most part that's what I've heard.
Just seems old he's having problems, even though he does have 100K miles..

Running a front wheel drive GM,i'm sure you're familiar with blown transmissions,lol. I couldn't keep trannies in my old 3.8 Supercharged Regal after pulley swapping it and a few other mods,back in the late 90's,lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

You can't even say it's due to mileage. If you look at VernDiesel's truck, it's well over the 500K mark and the transmission is still going strong. Most of those miles are towing fairly heavy with the stock cooler, so I don't even buy into the argument the fluid running around 200°F is going to cause them to fail early. There's a thread on another forum just for EcoDs where there is at least 20+ trucks over the 100K miles all with no issues, trans included.

Using the 8HP line of transmissions is probably one of the smarter decisions FCA made when designing these trucks.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Running a front wheel drive GM,i'm sure you're familiar with blown transmissions,lol. I couldn't keep trannies in my old 3.8 Supercharged Regal after pulley swapping it and a few other mods,back in the late 90's,lol

hahahahaahahah. Right

I had to replace it two times. 2nd was because it got flooded..
I need to update my sig though. That car is gone after owning it 20 years.

You can't even say it's due to mileage. If you look at VernDiesel's truck, it's well over the 500K mark and the transmission is still going strong. Most of those miles are towing fairly heavy with the stock cooler, so I don't even buy into the argument the fluid running around 200°F is going to cause them to fail early. There's a thread on another forum just for EcoDs where there is at least 20+ trucks over the 100K miles all with no issues, trans included.

Using the 8HP line of transmissions is probably one of the smarter decisions FCA made when designing these trucks.

That's good to hear. It's a good transmission for sure. Not saying that.

I think what gives the RFE a bad wrap is it can't handle much power over stock. So they blow. The ZF can handle some power so less have blown up.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
hahahahaahahah. Right

I had to replace it two times. 2nd was because it got flooded..
I need to update my sig though. That car is gone after owning it 20 years.

That's good to hear. It's a good transmission for sure. Not saying that.

I think what gives the RFE a bad wrap is it can't handle much power over stock. So they blow. The ZF can handle some power so less have blown up.

I just got a second to catch up a minute. LOL at the supercharge regal references. I had one of those, and it’s probably one of my favorite cars of all time. Tuned, Pullied, GTO spring spacers, and 555 DR’s. Never had any trans issues.

I feel like if one of these transmissions can take all the hard work that Vern has put his through, then there’s no reason I should be having any issues, LOL. Call the dealer is Swat my engine, and, they recommended that I take it to a local dealer to me, rather than drive it and hour and a half to them.I explain to them the code that our God, and when I found out that it came from the TCM, their manager felt it was more a control module issue then a trans issue.

Have another friend who is the truck manager at a ram store about 45 minutes from here That I would trust more and the goofballs at my local ram dealer. Will probably look at getting it in over there next week

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a second to catch up a minute. LOL at the supercharge regal references. I had one of those, and it’s probably one of my favorite cars of all time. Tuned, Pullied, GTO spring spacers, and 555 DR’s. Never had any trans issues.

Ohh yeah. I had that and then some. Intercooler, P&P blower, injectors etc!!!!
Miss it, but it was time for something new.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
the difference between the rfe and zf8, you can correct the rfe weaknesses, I'm not sure there are any upgrades for the zf. They are meant to be disposable transmisions, with a cheaper replacement cost then rfe with upgrades. It is what it is, but you had to know that pre heating transmision fluid was always gonna come at some type of cost in many trucks. Most will run in that 190f and below range, but far too many are getting up to 225f. It's just gonna be a shorter life span running that hot and already using a thin fluid per spec.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
so would it be safe to say that the reason for no zf rebuild / upgrade is due to the low number/% of failures (pure supply & demand)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel