Transmission issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Talked to the trans shop right before EOD. Stated that truck still wasn’t finished, and giving a neutral safety switch code. Said I could likely get the truck back tomorrow, but it would probably still need to be programmed. When I said something about his promise to cal this morning, his response was that he’d been without a secretary all day...

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Picked it up today, currently at the dealer getting the tcm flashed. Drove horribly before I got here. Hoping the flash does the truck. Truck is having trouble going into park, and is having issues with the 2-3 shift.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Took it to have it programmed, and no dice. They flashed the ECM and TCM, and I lost my PPEI tune. Thankfully, I have my SFT tunes on standby.

Called trans shop, and his statement was “well... gonna have to get it back here, so I can pull it back apart. I don’t even know where the neutral safety switch is...” Screw that. Left it with dealer to get diag’d.

Dealer stated used trans had internal damage. Got a refund for the new/used trans, and have a new one on the way from MOPAR. Warranty, and ability to have it checked out anywhere there is a ram dealer. Said it would take 4-5 days to get new trans, and they would call me when it was ready.

Jimmy at SFT was truly helpful. Got all my tunes turned around in record time so I could have tuned the truck before bringing home. Will flash with their tunes after I pick the truck up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Still waiting on transmission. No notice of when it will arrive. :-(

If the EcoD's have the tranny heater,might be worthwhile springing for a new one,they aren't that much money,and they don't come with a new transmission.I'd also get them to flush the tranny cooler in the top of the A/C condenser if they aren't installing a new condenser.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If the EcoD's have the tranny heater,might be worthwhile springing for a new one,they aren't that much money,and they don't come with a new transmission.I'd also get them to flush the tranny cooler in the top of the A/C condenser if they aren't installing a new condenser.
The previous trans guy flushes it all, but after the way that other trans felt, I’d say it was deserving. Will call about it today.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The previous trans guy flushes it all, but after the way that other trans felt, I’d say it was deserving. Will call about it today.

Sounds like you drove it with the dud replacement tranny,so even if he did flush it,everything should probably be re-flushed again.The heater i'd probably just buy new,but you might want to talk to the dealer about flushing the cooler,or even replacing it,if it's in the budget.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Truth told, none of this new trans replacement was in budget, lol. I’ll look into the heater, and will make sure they flush the cooler at the least.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Truth told, none of this new trans replacement was in budget, lol. I’ll look into the heater, and will make sure they flush the cooler at the least.

I can relate,when my 8 speed went south last summer,i sure wasn't planning or budgeting for it either,lol.Did you buy a new one,or a factory reman tranny?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

It's only around $100 and the parts application list the EcoD. For the piece of mind on yet another replacement tranny I would insist they replace it just to ensure you don't have a brand new 8 speed grenade on you like some have when it fails and they overheat.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-heater-transmission~52014750ae.html

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Got a call from the dealership today. The transmission is there, and the heater should be there tomorrow morning. Hoping for end of the day tomorrow, or first of Friday morning with the truck to be finished. Excited to have my truck back is an understatement, LOL.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got a call from the dealership today. The transmission is there, and the heater should be there tomorrow morning. Hoping for end of the day tomorrow, or first of Friday morning with the truck to be finished. Excited to have my truck back is an understatement, LOL.

Push them hard to flush the tranny cooler in the top of the A/C condenser,if they aren't replacing the cooler/condenser assembly.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Service writer said that it was part of the repair. They replaced the heater without charging my any extra labor, and got it for $97.

Just got word they are test driving it now.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Service writer said that it was part of the repair. They replaced the heater without charging my any extra labor, and got it for $97.

Just got word they are test driving it now.

good luck man. there is light at the end of the tunnel! keep us posted with how it goes

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So, I'm a week late... My wife and mom suprised me, and picked the truck up while I was at work. Runs like a top! Installed SFT trans tune a coupel days ago, and it's even better!!! Thank you guys for all your time, and wisdom.