Transmission pan and fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Hey partner. I bought the PPE pan as well,
Do you have a part number or a link I can use to grab these transmission bolts?

The oem part number for the 845RE (Pentastar V6) transmission bolts is 6510056-aa. They go for over $10 at all my local dealers here. Im trying to find a good reputable site to buy all 13 for less.
I purchased OEM pan bolts quite reasonably. They were a buck something. I cannot remember the exact price. Check IDparts.com. They sell diesel parts but the transmission parts are pretty much the same across all RAM's. I got the bolts from them as well as a transmission pan gasket and fill plug. I own a V-6 Pentastar but simply ordered for the same truck equipped with an eco-diesel.
Good luck

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I purchased OEM pan bolts quite reasonably. They were a buck something. I cannot remember the exact price. Check IDparts.com. They sell diesel parts but the transmission parts are pretty much the same across all RAM's. I got the bolts from them as well as a transmission pan gasket and fill plug. I own a V-6 Pentastar but simply ordered for the same truck equipped with an eco-diesel.
Good luck

Different Drummer thankyou so much! Another member on here mentioned he got his bolts from CAR ID, same part number as oem and they were the cheapest around $4.50 each. I almost pulled the trigger on them but im glad I waited. Thankyou so much for posting this! I just ordered a set.

$12.56 for a set of 13!

What pan did you end up going with? And any issues so far with these bolts or did they fit perfect and have been holding up?

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Different Drummer thankyou so much! Another member on here mentioned he got his bolts from CAR ID, same part number as oem and they were the cheapest around $4.50 each. I almost pulled the trigger on them but im glad I waited. Thankyou so much for posting this! I just ordered a set.

$12.56 for a set of 13!

What pan did you end up going with? And any issues so far with these bolts or did they fit perfect and have been holding up?
I compared the bolts I purchased with the factory installed bolts. They are EXACTLY the same . Same dimensions, same markings etc. Going by memory I believe the marking on the bolts are European standards. I forget what they are but I do remember that they are equivalent to a grade 5 SAE. They really are not anything special. I purchased the pan gasket from them because I was led to believe from another supplier that the OEM pan would not come with a gasket. I had already ordered the pan from that particular supplier. When my pan arrived it did in fact have a gasket installed. The gasket I purchased that is sold for the diesel RAM is EXACTLY the same as the factory installed gasket as well as the gasket that came on the new OEM pan. I removed the gasket that came on the OEM replacement pan and fitted the diesel part numbered gasket into the pan and it fit fine. I have read online that some people experienced a difference in the alignment "nubs" when they ordered a V-6 equipped vehicle gasket for their Hemi equipped RAM. I did not have that issue going the other way. ( Diesel to V-6 )
My OEM replacement pan does not have a drain plug. At my next service I will probably go with the PPE pan. Not so much because of it's increased capacity and being made of Al. but more for allowing me to do a simple drain and refill at frequent mileage intervals.

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I compared the bolts I purchased with the factory installed bolts. They are EXACTLY the same . Same dimensions, same markings etc. Going by memory I believe the marking on the bolts are European standards. I forget what they are but I do remember that they are equivalent to a grade 5 SAE. They really are not anything special. I purchased the pan gasket from them because I was led to believe from another supplier that the OEM pan would not come with a gasket. I had already ordered the pan from that particular supplier. When my pan arrived it did in fact have a gasket installed. The gasket I purchased that is sold for the diesel RAM is EXACTLY the same as the factory installed gasket as well as the gasket that came on the new OEM pan. I removed the gasket that came on the OEM replacement pan and fitted the diesel part numbered gasket into the pan and it fit fine. I have read online that some people experienced a difference in the alignment "nubs" when they ordered a V-6 equipped vehicle gasket for their Hemi equipped RAM. I did not have that issue going the other way. ( Diesel to V-6 )
My OEM replacement pan does not have a drain plug. At my next service I will probably go with the PPE pan. Not so much because of it's increased capacity and being made of Al. but more for allowing me to do a simple drain and refill at frequent mileage intervals.

Thankyou for the info brother!

JustaTradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just had my fluid and pan/filter changed on my 5.7
Amsoil fluid and Dorman pan/filter.
All is OK.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just had my fluid and pan/filter changed on my 5.7
Amsoil fluid and Dorman pan/filter.
All is OK.
If it starts acting funny,you might want to dump the Amsoil for something like Valvolene's MaxLife.Amsoil doesn't have a great rep in the 8 speeds,it's almost to slippery

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If it starts acting funny,you might want to dump the Amsoil for something like Valvolene's MaxLife.Amsoil doesn't have a great rep in the 8 speeds,it's almost to slippery

Same with Red Line, right?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Both Amsoil and Redline don't have a great rep in the 8 speed.Maxlife seems to have the best rep of all the aftermarket fluids these days

Not to hijack, but I plan to put Red Line +C ATF in my RFE66. Someone was talking about Valvoline Maxlife not long ago. RFE's are starting to fade into history, is Maxlife targeted to the 8 speeds exlusively?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I already got that fill plug loosened with an 8mm hex wrench. then hand tightened it back. I also pre loosened that one pan bolt (obstructed by exhaust pipe) with a #40 torx bit on a 1/4" wrench ( i have gear wrench swivel head ratcheting wrenches but my smallest size is 5/16", that's why i used a regular open/box end wrench and had to hold the bit in place by hand). The rest of the pan bolts will come out easy tomorrow morning. I also sprayed the three transmission mount bolts with PB blaster then hit them with am impact gun and a 16MM socket. They are loosened up near the ends of the bolt threads. Once again my question is how much does the transmission have to be jacked up to allow the clearance with the new PPE pan? This is my first time doing this and I want to get it right.

thanks
Take exhaust off, you’ve been wanting to upgrade right ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not to hijack, but I plan to put Red Line +C ATF in my RFE66. Someone was talking about Valvoline Maxlife not long ago. RFE's are starting to fade into history, is Maxlife targeted to the 8 speeds exlusively?
I used red line in my 5 speed 2011 . Put 20000 miles on the redline , this was 2014. No issues. Of course , there wasn’t any issue before the change.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As far as i know i think Redline is okay in the RFE's,but i honestly don't know for sure,as i don't pay all that much attention to what's good or not in an RFE.Mike/Burla would know more about fluids for them then i do

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The only maxlife fluid I looked at said light duty use. I believe it was a universal fluid. You need to check to see if any fluid you use is HD rated , but I’m guessing you already know this. Lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
As far as i know i think Redline is okay in the RFE's,but i honestly don't know for sure,as i don't pay all that much attention to what's good or not in an RFE.Mike/Burla would know more about fluids for them then i do

S'ok - already talked with him about it. Just trying to stay current.

Was more interested in what or how max life compares.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Just bought the Mag-Hytec pan for mine. Moe's Performance was the best price even cheaper than the PML "as cast" cover I was initially searching for. I have PML on both diffs. I stayed with the OEM filters and fluids as I can get the retiree discount. Will change the transfer case fluid with OEM at the same time if this rain ever stops around here. The diffs will get Amsoil SG this time as I am out of my stash of Valvoline synthetic.

I have the Lube Locker pan gasket to install. No need for any sealer it states. This time I have a new calibrated torque wrench. When I did this on my 2003 V10, the new torque wrench was bad from the factory and I stripped a couple of pan bolts before I figured it out. Lesson learned, always calibrate your wrenches even if new.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both Amsoil and Redline don't have a great rep in the 8 speed.Maxlife seems to have the best rep of all the aftermarket fluids these days

Have had Redline D6 in my 8 speed for about 2 years and do not notice any slipping but next change will go for Maxlife due to the much more attractive price and have many guys have good reviews using it.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
S'ok - already talked with him about it. Just trying to stay current.

Was more interested in what or how max life compares.
Maxlife says it fits many different applications. I know the 8 speeds use a newer thinner fluid than traditional ATF. There are actually some applications that are even thinner fluid than the 8 speed fluid. Ford has a LV and ULV (low viscosity and ultra low viscosity) for their transmissions. I was checking them out and I think the LV was closer to what the 8 speeds need but still not quite right. Back to the point though, I'm not sure which different types of ATF redline makes, but whatever one is most similar to the OEM spec ATF should work fine. I think its C+, should be equivalent to ATF+4.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Maxlife says it fits many different applications. I know the 8 speeds use a newer thinner fluid than traditional ATF. There are actually some applications that are even thinner fluid than the 8 speed fluid. Ford has a LV and ULV (low viscosity and ultra low viscosity) for their transmissions. I was checking them out and I think the LV was closer to what the 8 speeds need but still not quite right. Back to the point though, I'm not sure which different types of ATF redline makes, but whatever one is most similar to the OEM spec ATF should work fine. I think its C+, should be equivalent to ATF+4.

I suspect thinner and thinner oil everywhere is part of EPA mandate to force ever more unrealistic fuel consumption standards on OEM's. They're desperate for every miniscule fuel savings to the point of the ludicrous.

Transmissions are easier to lubricate - roller bearings and roller tooth gears, thinner oil promotes more heat transfer, better gear tooth surface finish allows thinner oils, etc.

The analysis is not the same for engine oil, though, with sliding piston rings in cylinders. Higher specific machine element loads are also problematic for thinner oil - just look at the debacle with the EcoTec 3.0L diesel journal bearings. At the end of the day, ya gotta lubricate the damn machine beyond the showroom door!

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey guys, I’m in the middle of doing the procedure as we speak now. I can not seem to fit the OEM pan spacers into the PPE one. Is it okay to go without the spacers?

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Alright guys, got the PPE pan installed. Pan bolts torqued down to 9-FtLbs / 108-InLbs. I did not use the OEM pan spacers. Made sure fluid level was good using the correct check procedure between 86-122 degrees. Took her out for a drive to get the transmission temp over 160. This temperature is when the transmission bypass valve opens up/closes I guess and it really cycles all the fluid through. My plan was to do this then let the truck cool down then recheck the fluid level once again.

Unfortunately after my drive I have found a leak under 3 of the pan bolts.

Was wondering if you guys had any advice for me . Kind of stumped.

Going to let the truck fully cool down and re torque those 3 bolts to spec just to triple make sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.png
    IMG_1565.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1566.png
    IMG_1566.png
    610.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1567.png
    IMG_1567.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 16