transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garry71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can not express how disappointed I'm with these Ram products.
In 2012 we bought a new Ram 1500 2.5 years and 71,000 thousand miles later the transmission blew up, total loss covered by warranty, took five weeks to get the truck back. Thinking it was a fluke we bought a new Ram 2500 in 2015, three years and once again 71,000 miles boom, I lose all but 4th gear, it goes into the dealer Monday, hopefully not five weeks again. Them GMC's are starting to look real good st this point.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which transmission "blew up"? The 645RFE or the 8 speed? I'm also curious, which rear end gears?

Which transmission in the 2500 that went boom?

Not that many transmissions go out in these trucks that early. If they did, Ram would be out of business. The other common denominator in this story besides Ram is You.

Enjoy your gmc.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Which transmission "blew up"? The 645RFE or the 8 speed?

Ram didn't start using the 8 spd transmission till 2013 in the 1500s and 2019 for the 2500s.

Wasn't the older 5/6 spd transmissions sort of "known" to eat themselves if the owner did a lot of WOT while the vehicle was in top gear?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
rfe's are great, only if you update them, line pressure, gm solonoid, new drum, new valve body, tune, etc. Many times the fix is in the VB and are simple, don't have to drop the tranny. But stock transmisions on Ram have always sucked for decades. They are easy to service and should be serviced regularly to keep healthy.

Now, the 8 speed is much better, but also has it's demons as well. The difference for me is Ram is the only truck in my price range, chevy and ford want too much for thier trucks and they have issues as well, especially chevy. Within 3 years of owning that GM the air conditioer will smell like rotten socks, my last 3 chevy's did. I'd buy a 4 gen ram and get a good deal that justify's dropping 6-10 grand into the tranny. It would be better then anything going if you did that.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't know when the 8 speeds came out. I thought I "missed the bus" by only a year. Turns out to be 2.

My humble opinion is that in trucks, all automatic transmissions suck. Out loud. My Mustang and Wrangler were both ordered with manual 6 speeds for that reason.

I know a guy that tore up an Allison. Turns out, that's not all that rare, either. Those things were touted as bulletproof when they came out.

Burla, you don't care for the ATS 545 upgraded tranny? I thought that looked promising.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can not express how disappointed I'm with these Ram products.
In 2012 we bought a new Ram 1500 2.5 years and 71,000 thousand miles later the transmission blew up, total loss covered by warranty, took five weeks to get the truck back. Thinking it was a fluke we bought a new Ram 2500 in 2015, three years and once again 71,000 miles boom, I lose all but 4th gear, it goes into the dealer Monday, hopefully not five weeks again. Them GMC's are starting to look real good st this point.
Great choice on the GMC,s they never have any problems.LAFFIN..