Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, Asking this for my brother. He has a 17' 2500 Cummins Ram with the 6 speed and is having a transmission built for it and the tranny manufacture needs to know his current line pressure. I have alpha OBD, will I be able to read that using it or will I need some other type of software to read it?

Thanks!!!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Line pressure constantly changes from 90 psi to to the max numbers below depending on how much throttle you give it and current gear.

In stock form, max line pressure should go up to 160 psi. If it is tuned without an aftermarket valve body then max will likely be 170 psi. If he is has an aftermarket valve body like a Revmax unit, then the tuner likely increased his max to 225 psi. You may see short spikes above these numbers when you go wide open throttle, but it will come back down to these max values in a split second.

Who is the trans manufacturer? They should know what stock line pressure is unless his truck is tuned.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Line pressure constantly changes from 90 psi to to the max numbers below depending on how much throttle you give it and current gear.

In stock form, max line pressure should go up to 160 psi. If it is tuned without an aftermarket valve body then max will likely be 170 psi. If he is has an aftermarket valve body like a Revmax unit, then the tuner likely increased his max to 225 psi. You may see short spikes above these numbers when you go wide open throttle, but it will come back down to these max values in a split second.

Who is the trans manufacturer? They should know what stock line pressure is unless his truck is tuned.

Thanks for the response! I text him and asked the name of the place doing the transmission...all I know is that its in Delaware lol. His truck is lightly tuned, Its a canadian truck and had DEF issues that wasn't covered here in the states so he had it deleted and lightly tuned just for longevity of the truck. Its still the stock valve body in the tranny so more than likely we will see that 170psi number.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just heard back from him, He is getting it from Muldoons Performance Transmissions

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would have your brother get with his tuner to send him a 225 psi line pressure tune. He might have to pay a hundred dollars or so for a tune change, but all those expensive parts would be worthless without increased line pressure to hold those performance clutches together.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have your brother get with his tuner to send him a 225 psi line pressure tune. He might have to pay a hundred dollars or so for a tune change, but all those expensive parts would be worthless without increased line pressure to hold those performance clutches together.
We ended up figuring it out today, We had a friend lets us borrow a Snap On Tritan D10 scanner and we were able to watch the Desired Line pressure, Max was 224.95 with a target of 225. The scan tool showed line pressure in each gear, engine rpm, torque converter lockup and recorded the data so we could send it to muldoons engineers.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
We ended up figuring it out today, We had a friend lets us borrow a Snap On Tritan D10 scanner and we were able to watch the Desired Line pressure, Max was 224.95 with a target of 225. The scan tool showed line pressure in each gear, engine rpm, torque converter lockup and recorded the data so we could send it to muldoons engineers.

:oops: 225 psi on a stock valve body! Holy Hell! I am surprised that the separator plate and gasket in the valve body lasted longer than a few thousand miles with 225 psi.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should get a plate upgrade in the VB if you will tune pressure above oem, gasket at a minimum but plate can handle it. You will get cross leaks if you dont build the VB to take it, 225 is too high.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
read this to upgrade all the rfe's weaknesses.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Are you saying your "actual" line pressure was 225? If so you are Not on a stock valvebody. Stock will max out at 160-170 no matter what you command. You can command 225 all day long but it can't physically build that without modification.

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:oops: 225 psi on a stock valve body! Holy Hell! I am surprised that the separator plate and gasket in the valve body lasted longer than a few thousand miles with 225 psi.
Actual line pressure read a max of 195 psi, they wanted us to give them desired line pressure which when reading that read a max 224.95. Im assuming it has to be a aftermarket valve body then, Truck has been deleted and tuned for 2 years now and my brother drives alottt for work. Hes put 65k on it since it was tuned and 5k miles are with a 44' 5th wheel behind it haha

OP
OP
Rebob0510

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you saying your "actual" line pressure was 225? If so you are Not on a stock valvebody. Stock will max out at 160-170 no matter what you command. You can command 225 all day long but it can't physically build that without modification.

Desired line pressure read a max of 224.95 psi, Actual line pressure read a max spike of 195 psi

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just heard back from him, He is getting it from Muldoons Performance Transmissions

Muldoon’s does good work from what I’ve read on Cummins forum. Greg Alberella uses them for his trucks.