Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 slt 4x4 4 door with 4.7 sitting up on 37x12.50x17 tires and 169000 miles. I read about these trucks having wierd issues like mine has always kinda "slipped" in reverse when it's first started and not warmed up. Now i am starting to experience that after I've driven the truck to normal operating temps and shut it off if the truck sits for a little while but not long enough to completely cool down that when i start it and put it in drive I'm experiencing slipping. When the truck is completely cold i can put it in drive there is no slipping.i bought this truck with 150000 miles on it so i have no idea if the trans fluid and filter has ever been changed. Should i change the trans fluid and filter?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 slt 4x4 4 door with 4.7 sitting up on 37x12.50x17 tires and 169000 miles. I read about these trucks having wierd issues like mine has always kinda "slipped" in reverse when it's first started and not warmed up. Now i am starting to experience that after I've driven the truck to normal operating temps and shut it off if the truck sits for a little while but not long enough to completely cool down that when i start it and put it in drive I'm experiencing slipping. When the truck is completely cold i can put it in drive there is no slipping.i bought this truck with 150000 miles on it so i have no idea if the trans fluid and filter has ever been changed. Should i change the trans fluid and filter?

With that many miles and not knowing the history I would definitely drop the pan and change both filters.

When you say you are feeling the transmission slip when warm after sitting for a short period, are you talking about starting the engine and putting the shifter into Drive and when you press on the accelerator the engine RPM goes up but the truck doesnt accelerate very fast? Does the engine RPM flare on the upshifts? Can you press on the accelerator and watch the engine RPM go up but the truck doesnt accelerate?

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes that describes how the truck is reacting perfectly. It's not really slipping its more like the converter is not locking up quickly and it only does it immediately after i start the truck put it in drive and immediately press the accelerator pedal. The rpm's then come up and the truck eventually starts to move slowly and then it seems like it engages fully after moving approx 10 feet. This has just started is the reason for my concern. It has always acted like this when the truck is cold and put in reverse. I really want to change the trans fluid and both filters but i have heard bad stories about vehicles that have never had the trans serviced. I myself years ago had a 1985 olds 98 that i acquired and when i serviced the trans the car would not move and i had to take old burnt trans fluid, filter it and fill the trans with it and then the car was fine. So between that experience and hearing similar stories I've been hesitant on servicing my truck trans. Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is always a good idea to service the trans. There isn't anything you could do inside the pan that would cause an issue unless you installed the sump filter seal incorrectly. Don't worry about that.

What you are feeling in the trans when the truck is cold happens to slot of the RFE's and even the RH/RE transmissions.

What is likely happening is the fluid in the torque converter is draining while the engine is off and the truck is sitting. When you start the engine and put the shifter in drive the pump starts to fill the converter with fluid. When you press on the accelerator the converter is still being filled with fluid and it feels like the trans is slipping. There is a check valve in the trans cooler return hose that is supposed to prevent torque converter fluid drainback. If this has been happening for quite some time I suspect the drainback valve has failed and is allowing the fluid in the converter to drain out while sitting.

When you service the trans, pay close attention to how the sump filter seal is positioned into the case. You can pry the old one out with a flat blade screwdriver. To install the new seal, use a ⅝" deep socket with a 6" extension and use your hammer to drive the new seal into the case. It doesn't take much force from the hammer to install the seal. Just a couple of nice, light taps and it will go in. You need to make sure the seal is flush against the case and that it is not loose.

For the spin-on cooler return filter, it's just like the oil filter for the engine. Use a large pair of channel-lock pliers to break it loose or a small oil filter wrench. When you install the new cooler return filter make sure you don't cross the threads because they are plastic and it can happen if your not paying attention. It's actually very simple.

Also, don't use a gasket for the trans pan. It is designed to be installed with ATF/RTV. The stuff from your local Mopar dealer works the best. ATF/RTV is designed to seal even if it comes in contact with trans fluid.

If you have My questions or need any help just let me know.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FAST IMHO got it....

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man i want to thank you very much for all that useful information. What you are describing sounds exactly like what i am experiencing to the tee...i also am very appreciative of all the advice when i service the trans. I will feel a lot more confident knowing the trick about the seal, the spin on filter and using the rvt for the pan gasket. This forum is awesome...i read a lot of past post just to get some knowledge of these dodge trucks and i have found a lot of useful stuff and to have gentleman like yourself share your knowledge is priceless. Please keep up the great work as I'm sure you have helped many people keep they're trucks running and i know you have helped me. Thanks again

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Man i want to thank you very much for all that useful information. What you are describing sounds exactly like what i am experiencing to the tee...i also am very appreciative of all the advice when i service the trans. I will feel a lot more confident knowing the trick about the seal, the spin on filter and using the rvt for the pan gasket. This forum is awesome...i read a lot of past post just to get some knowledge of these dodge trucks and i have found a lot of useful stuff and to have gentleman like yourself share your knowledge is priceless. Please keep up the great work as I'm sure you have helped many people keep they're trucks running and i know you have helped me. Thanks again

No problem man. I forgot to mention something about the torque converter drainback. When you remove the trans pan, take a look at the part number on the spin-on filter. If the part number is 4799662AB then this filter is the issue. If this trans has never been serviced it is very possible that it has this filter part number installed. If you purchase a new filter from Mopar make sure the part number ends with "AC" or higher like 4799662AC. These cooler return filter were the ones causing the drainback issues.

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again you are extremely helpful and i am very grateful for all your help and information. Do i have to buy the filters from the dodge dealer or can i buy them from the local parts store? I have an oriellys within walking distance and is where i go for most all of my parts...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can get them at the local parts store, but the aftermarket historically tend to have ****** check valves and allow TC drainback to happen anyway; the OEM ones (like may OEM parts these days) tend to be better quality and this happens less.

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again thanks for your help...it's awesome that there's people out there willing to help and give advice. I Will now be buying the filters from the dealer with this new info...thanks again.

JD86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I am going to service my trans next week, 05 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 4wd, have the 545rfe, was looking on mopars sight and neither listed sump filter seem to say they match up with mine. Anyone have a mopar part number?

av8rtom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.9 cummins
I just signed up here..., I have a '03 ram with cummins and auto trans... 250000mi. Runs like new, but if I don't drive for a few days or a week or so, the truck won't move for a bit while the trans fluid gets moving. Is there a check valve or something I can fix for this problem or do I just have to live with it?