transmission reflash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
I have 17 1500 tradesman. bought at 44kkm now at 70kkm. It has this occasional annoying habit of hard downshifting while going up a steep incline from, presumably, 6 to 5 gear. Sometimes annoying problems become bigger problems :( In any case i understand there is a process to reflash the computer to reset/relearn the transmission. Has anyone done this and what were the results? From what i've read the reflash costs several hundred dollars at the dealer but has short term results. I will say that when I bought the truck the dealer in its preinspection replaced the tranny pan due to a leak, how big a leak for how long and how long till it was noticed is anyones guess i suppose. Other than the above it runs just fine. TIA for any information

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It has this occasional annoying habit of hard downshifting while going up a steep incline from, presumably, 6 to 5 gear. Sometimes annoying problems become bigger problems :( In any case i understand there is a process to reflash the computer to reset/relearn the transmission.
Soe your truck have the RFE 6 speed (column shifter) or the ZF 8 speed(shift knob)?
There a procedure where the transmission can be put into a re-learn mode, I think it's even possible doing yourself using AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
A

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
my tranny is a six speed with shifter buttons on the steering wheel

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How 'occasional' are you talking? Once a day, once a week?

Possible a solenoid is acting up. Have you had any vehicle, or tranny codes?

OP
OP
A

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
Their are no trouble codes that show up on the display. The hard shift always seems to happen when going steep uphill at highway speeds and the vehicle downshifts from six to, presumably, fifth. I rarely have the vehicle under these circumstances.....perhaps three or four times per year.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have the fluid level checked when you have reflash done.