Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lchron36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 ST 5.7
Does anyone know how to do a transmission relearn or quick learn for the 545rfe? Or have you guys just thrown a new one in and driven without worrying about doing a relearn? I am replacing my transmission this weekend in my 2010 ram 2500 5.7 since the stock is shot. The trans I got is a re-manufactured transmission by Street Smart Transmission. Comes with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty, with torque converter and all of the fluid. And, the warranty covers self installs too which is great. Any other tips or tricks for install or removal of the 545rfe that I should be aware of? I have done tranny swaps before, but never the 545rfe.

I appreciate any good input guys

OP
OP
lchron36

lchron36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 ST 5.7
Currently the 545rfe

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I was under the impression just install and go. The 8sp is the only one that needs the tcm to be flashed with the vin.

OP
OP
lchron36

lchron36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 ST 5.7
Sweet, yeah I was just checking. That is what I have done with previous vehicles. The manufacturer that I am getting the trans from said a relearn or quick learn had to be done with a scan tool. I just was gonna throw it in and send it, but I figured I would check from the guys on here.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Virtually any modern transmission has a quick learn procedure that should be done anytime major components are replaced. It helps to quicken the learning process by learning things like the clutch volumes as well as preventing any premature wear.

That being said it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get it done.

OP
OP
lchron36

lchron36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 ST 5.7
Okay, so here is another question then. Since I am doing the trans swap in my shop, is there a point to me to drive to the dealer to have them do a quick learn after I put the trans in? Or does driving the truck 5 miles to the dealer make the quick learn they would then perform pointless? I have no issues with paying the dealer to do it as I can't imagine it will cost much. I just want to do what is best for the new transmission to ensure its longevity and to get it back to normal as soon as possible.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
“Technically” it would be best for the transmission to get it done. It won’t learn everything in 5 miles. As I said before the quicklearn just basically gives it a head start.

The only potential issue is that the PCM is going to shift your new transmission based on the values of the old transmission. Which obviously those values won’t match up with a new transmission. Tolerances will be tighter and fill volumes won’t be the same. The chances of this causing any actual damage though is pretty much non existent.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id get a quick learn done. Most good transmission shops can do a quick learn with a Snapon scanner. I didn't do a quick learn on my 1st 545rfe swap and trans went out after 3 week.. If the old trans was really worn you will feel the new trans bind. The new clutches being thicker grab before other clutch sets fully release.

Twistedautosports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gonna bring this back from the dead here. Sorry guys! Anyways i have a 09 1500 5.7 with the 545rfe trans truck has a 143xxx on the dash and i just swapped a lower mile trans in only has a 107xxx on it. Like the op im wondering if i should have a quick learn or relearn done?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you might be able to do one yourself with the AlfaOBD program not sure though maybe someone else can chime in.

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you might be able to do one yourself with the AlfaOBD program not sure though maybe someone else can chime in.

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone been successful with this? I'm about to replace my valve body and solenoid pack and this would be very handy!

Delta11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Street Smart Transmission <[email protected]>
Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 3:03 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

I replaced my 545 about 3 months ago and this is what Street Smart Transmission stated to me about a relearn. I had 196k on the original and CHANGED the oil and Filters and it screwed it up...so Yes if its old and High Mileage and you have not done an oil change at least every 30k then just drive it and leave it alone until it goes out.

"If it was not done, generally the trans will act like the old one, lets say his old transmission was slipping in 3rd gear, when he installed the new trans it might slip in 3rd gear, or have some other type of shifting issues, the CVI -clutch value index needs to be reset, the computer reads those to determine on how the trans will shift. The CVI's would be compared to the clutch clearance, and then the computer senses each one and controls the shifts for optimum shifting, if these are not reset and the old values are in the vehicle the computer is going to tell the trans to shift in a whole different way."

Welcome