Transmission repair turns dark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Attaboyslim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 cid
Hey guys and gals ... am new to the forum so if I make a mistake, please correct me ... I may be a rookie but I learn quickly. So, a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 van with a transmission (torque converter) problem has been corrected but somehow this process caused a blackout. Specifically, the dashboard. All other lights function properly (headlights, taillights, reverse light, signals, flashers and park lights) but not the dashboard. Have checked all fuses and can't find any problem. Any suggestions?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, after replacing the torque converter your instrument panel has no lights?

No lights in the cluster, HVAC control head, radio, etc?

Does the odometer light up in the instrument cluster?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, I think the rheostat in the headlamp dimmer switch has failed. If you remove the headlamp switch from the bezel and look at the connector on the back, you can try jumping across the wiring and providing B+ power to the interior lamps and see if you can make them work.

OP
OP
Attaboyslim

Attaboyslim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 cid
Have just received a bit more history on the vehicle and apparently it was involved in a small flood some time back. Certain areas of the electrical system did fail but functioned somewhat when it was purchased. Dash instruments and power windows but not the power locks. The radio is in the process of being replaced so it cannot be tested and in southern California, heaters are somewhat optional but I am intrigued with the dimmer suggestion but have no idea how a transmission repair could be related to the dimmer switch but will look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. To be continued ...

Reactions: Mop

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
You *may* be just beginning to see electrical problems---from the flooding. As they show themselves you can unplug the connections in the offending circuit, see if there's visible corrosion, which you would want clean off, then spray with WD40 or similar and re-connect. Sometimes a connection problem will be corrected by merely unplugging and then re-plugging. I have had computers come back up from failure by just unplugging PC Boards then putting them back into their slots after an inspection showed no damage on them. Kind of annoying when the machine "fixes itself" but better than the alternative. If these connections aren't totally clean-able or in an exposed location, you might put some non-conducting clear grease on them to seal them up---a silicon grease like sil-glide maybe. I hope it was fresh water, not salt.

You might want to think about the fluids too, like in the differential for example. Depends on how long and how deep things were underwater. Might be why the torque converter went bad? If it was in deep water, could the brake master cylinder have been submerged? I wonder if there's water inside there? Water in the brake fluid is a serious problem that can cause catastrophic failure at the worst time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963