Transmission service - Opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Everyone, I'm approaching 120k miles in my 11 and soon will be servicing my 6speed auto trans.

This is a 4x4 3.55 truck I've owned since new.

For the life of the truck, I've serviced the transmission every 30k with geninue Mopar fluids and filters.

Im going stock on filters but thinking redline for the fluid. Am I asking for problems mixing fluids this late in the game or will it matter? It's a drop the pan, fluid/filter change only, no flush.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Truck is driven on average 500 miles a week.

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No issue with compatibilty, I mixed many quarts redline to whatever mopar was left in the tc, many of us have. I'd look at metal thread upgrade and synthetic filter though. You are using c+ yes? You using sealant or gasket?

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Burla,

Have not considered upgrade of filter, what do you recommend? What is metal thread upgrade?

Not partial to sealant so gasket.

As to fluid, will use the compatible redline. I think it's C+?

My trans has always ran cool so I'm not looking to mess with it too much. My typical running temp is 138 and around town is 145 to 150 max. Even towing, I do not see above 150.

This is the one item I always dropped off at dealer for them to perform.

Considering I ve done everything else since 90k, figured it was time to take this on.

Ive done others like 400 & 350 turbos, 727 torque flight etc, so this can't be outside my scope. Just always dropped it off. As it was wife's truck till she dropped an 8 point with it, then it became my truck.

Thanks

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup that looks like the metal thread upgrade.

I just did a service on my 11, I opted for a RP syn filter (sanded off the paint) and C+ fluid.

8E0C5BF8-11B8-45E0-856C-5E9E3BD65BF9.jpeg 3B56183E-B45B-4CA4-8788-8E856E198F6F.jpeg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla,

Have not considered upgrade of filter, what do you recommend? What is metal thread upgrade?

Not partial to sealant so gasket.

As to fluid, will use the compatible redline. I think it's C+?

My trans has always ran cool so I'm not looking to mess with it too much. My typical running temp is 138 and around town is 145 to 150 max. Even towing, I do not see above 150.

This is the one item I always dropped off at dealer for them to perform.

Considering I ve done everything else since 90k, figured it was time to take this on.

Ive done others like 400 & 350 turbos, 727 torque flight etc, so this can't be outside my scope. Just always dropped it off. As it was wife's truck till she dropped an 8 point with it, then it became my truck.

Thanks

Sorry man left the conversation, you need to PM me or post @Burla to get notification. Information coming.... There is a thread better then that 1.

like smoothee did, knock off tha paint.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thank you. Appreciate the response. Will follow up with my results

did you get the metal thread? That one is good, but you will need to attach well to filter before putting on the trans, make is good and tight, not quite gorilla tight. There is a better thread, I can't find them u&a bought ten and sold them in like 2 seconds here, one to me. It has a hex screw inside and fits tighter. You may want to use loctite or alum anti sieze on the round one of you get it, fill in the threads a lil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Found the thread and eBay link. Still 10 for 55.00. I'm looking at one this one

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...-spin-on-filter-in-45rfe-68rfe-transmissions/

Which seems reasonable

This is the one, cracker jack found my thread on it. I know you can sell them all day long here for 15 bucks if you buy ten or more, twenty with shipping. This thread adapter fits tight, the other options fit loose only until the end, then they are tight. But if they loosen at all, they will spin off, these wont.

Trust me that is the one you want, shipped to you like 7-8 bucks each you can make 10 bucks a unit easy here. Like I said u&a sold out in a second, many guys want this.

s-l1600.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think was able to get 11 qrts back in with a pan drop redline c+ for any rfe, that was not a flush, just drop pan change filters button up. I have a thread on it too. The sump filter, I'm not sure I'd bother chnaging it unless there are a lot of miles on the ram.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think was able to get 11 qrts back in with a pan drop redline c+ for any rfe, that was not a flush, just drop pan change filters button up< i forget the amount exactly, it is in the other thread. I have a thread on it too. The sump filter, I'm not sure I'd bother chnaging it unless there are a lot of miles on the ram. I see maybe it is time for that, you will need a 25 torx bit. RLK has a thread in dyi, it is well written.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are you gonna flush as well? As in run old stuff out of torque convertor? Here's the thing, the flow is a complicated pathway, it isn't like take off the trans line and flush/add. You see the lines go right into back of TC and you can leave that dry, and after a year of asking even FCA mechanics, I still have to idea on the flow path. You cant run TC dry, not even for a second, it is an unacceptable risk. I wouldn't recomend a flush unless you nail that down 100%. Most guys seam to be happy getting a pan with a drain bolt and do refresher flushes, as in just draining pan and putting back 6-8 qrts. I know rlk, corey and u&a and others are opting for this, count me in too.

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I actually have one like this off my Harley. Wonder if it will fit. It has a hex inside and a adapter mid point stop
You can compare to plastic threaded adapter when you remove if ya not in a hurry......if its not the same could get the right 1 next time you change.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the DNJ adapter and it was a snug fit the whole way (I was getting valve body from them anyhow so figured may as well snag it too).