Transmission service - Opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm going to change, run about 10k and change again. Looking at the pan now.

How about this insert I found as a single on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFA345-Eng...ysler-Dodge-3-5L-5-7L-6-1L-Hemi-/232366266309

I dunno, maybe that will work. Make absolutely sure the filter is butt up against the transmision housing, if not it will ruin the tranny, it appears that wont be an issue. Make sure it also locks somewhat, if it can do that, it will work. If it is loose, or doesn't butt up, or doesn't lock for any reason anyone of these, take it off and order the other one.

The issue I see is the threads all go the same way, all of the other ones the threads are split and go the opposite direction. I'd be a little nervous with that.

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
No, suspect it to be $1,200 or so, given the $42 bucks a quart fluid and the intergrated filter into the pan, which last I heard was $350ish.

My 8 speed only has 36k on it and is driven less than 500 miles a month unless I take it on a road trip. I suspect I will time out on warranty before I mileage out, but until then it sees the dealer for anything major except oil changes. I go buy the oil filter at the dealership for each change and make them look up my truck by the VIN so I get the right filter so it's documented. Then I go home and change the oil using redline 5/30 and install the big RP filter.

I have 6 Mopar filters sitting in my stockpile unused. Just in case. They are the small filters so really nothing lost.

My daughter has an Durango R/T and it's been changed over to redline and RP filters. It timed out on warranty with 11k on the clock so it's slowly being upgraded to non OEM improved parts

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'm a huge Mopar fan and have been since 87. One of my dad's good friends worked in the Dyno room at Chrysler and helped develop the hemi back during the racing craze. Always been mopars at my house growing up and now

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
8hp70 replacement atp pan (with replaceable filter) $113 on rockauto, redline d6 around $12 a quart, blood, sweat, and tears.....priceless.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dunno, maybe that will work. Make absolutely sure the filter is butt up against the transmision housing, if not it will ruin the tranny, it appears that wont be an issue. Make sure it also locks somewhat, if it can do that, it will work. If it is loose, or doesn't butt up, or doesn't lock for any reason anyone of these, take it off and order the other one.

The issue I see is the threads all go the same way, all of the other ones the threads are split and go the opposite direction. I'd be a little nervous with that.

what tranny is this you guys have 6 speed or 8 speed

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8hp70 replacement atp pan (with replaceable filter) $113 on rockauto, redline d6 around $12 a quart, blood, sweat, and tears.....priceless.

Yep it is cheaper then dealer. The only thing that I would pass on I watched a video of the trans fluid being changed, and if the 8 speed trans has a heavy duty trans cooling system you have to fill the trans level two times . First fill and run it up in air once into every gear and then take for a short drive. Then undue the filler cap again and put more fluid in till it seeps out the fill hole. Then its filled to the correct fluid amount,Because the cooler for the heavy duty trans is mounted all the way up in the front of truck so you need a lot more fluid to fill to full.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
only the rfe has the metal thread upgrade, some of us have 5 speed some 6. The 8 speed is an entirely different animal, I defer to wild one on that application.

Ok thanks for getting back

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Yep it is cheaper then dealer. The only thing that I would pass on I watched a video of the trans fluid being changed, and if the 8 speed trans has a heavy duty trans cooling system you have to fill the trans level two times . First fill and run it up in air once into every gear and then take for a short drive. Then undue the filler cap again and put more fluid in till it seeps out the fill hole. Then its filled to the correct fluid amount,Because the cooler for the heavy duty trans is mounted all the way up in the front of truck so you need a lot more fluid to fill to full.

that is what one (include me as well prior to changing fluid) would think. makes sense. but.....i did this when i swapped my fluid. i got it to where it was full with the proper procedure per zf manual, then went for a drive to get it to 185. came home and parked it in a spot where trans was level, then about 2.hours or so later when it finally came down below yhe 122 degree point, i checked the fluid again. but when i opened the fill plug gluid came out. around 3 tablespoons. so i put plug back in, not adding any. so my question would be....why would some come out suggesting over full? another thing i wonder about is the whole leveling of the trans. dealers / shops are not goi g to do this on their lift. i had to raise my rear end about 10 inches to get trans level, and that was on a bit of a decline to help. so more like a foot and a half or so if level.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read a clip from some guy saying you have to level the trans so it sits perfectly level, But I don't see it that way,because in the dealer its up on a lift and the wheels are hanging down and also this video I watched was from a Ram Mopar dealership. The video was on you tube and the head mechanic was in a wheel chair he was very knowledgeable about the Ram 8 speed trans. so what I wrote is exactly what this Ram dealer did. Also the mechanic made a statement that most Ram dealers don't know how to change the trans fluid with a new filter and refill it back up. He said its a real problem with the all the Ram dealers on this one topic, and memos are sent out to them, all the time on this procedure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm really getting tired of posting this,you guys fill the flipping tranny anyway you want,but here's the "PROPER FILL " procedure from Ma Mopar and ZF.The majority of dealers don't know the proper procedure why do you think FCA sends them memo's about the procedure.Pay real close attention to the very first paragragh that's high lighted,put your reading glasses on if you can't see the highlighted writing

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2017-8-speed-transmission.143008/page-3#post-2029422

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
only the rfe has the metal thread upgrade, some of us have 5 speed some 6. The 8 speed is an entirely different animal, I defer to wild one on that application.

An update, I contacted the guy with the metal thread upgrade parts from eBay. He agreed to list them individually. They are now available each vs a 10 quantity.

eBay # 223557263367

As an individual I only needed 1 versus a quantity of 10. While they're more expensive it's worth it not having 9 laying around

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Update,

Trans service complete today, what a pain in the a$$.

You would think the engineers building the exhaust were pissed off at the engineers designing the transmission.

Who builds a pipe that blocks access bolts, not to mention the minimum clearance available. Must be accountant engineers, do they have a degree for that? If so, they all work for FCA!!!

Anyway, after dropping the stock pan, and filters.

I did the metal filter insert vs plastic, easy scale a 1, very easy. Spin on filter, bam another 1 on the easy scale. Pan filter, getting the T 25 torx loose. A 3, had to use a torx bit with vice grips as the cross over pipe was in the way. (a recurring theme) the seal, a 1, used pliers as per the motor City mechanic You tube video, out first try another 1 on the easy scale. Reinsert the seal, another 1 on the scale, filter back in another 1. Tighten that damn torx a 3. Just awkward.

Gasket on transmission, couple small dabs of Mopar sealer and the gasket stayed attached to transmission a 1 on easy scale.

Sliding that new heavy mag hytec pan in place a 2. Awkward.

Putting the 15 stainless screws back 13 easy at 1, 2 a 10 on the Pain scale due to the cross over pipe.

Torquing to 105 inch/lbs 13 out of 15, easy. Two well that might be close to, I have no idea how much they are torqued. Let's say snug.

Anyway, 2 gallons of redline c+, and she's done.

Start to finish 3 hours, with an hour clean up.

Have to say this is not my day job and if it was, I would probably want a different y pipe

For those that are curious, here's my mag pan number. Excuse my thumb

IMG_20190702_164328.jpg