Transmission shift, new Ram driver questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Since I don't know Rams well.. I have a few 'stupid' questions to learn how the transmissions normally feel? (This truck is an '03, quad-cab, 4x4, it has a 5.7L hemi feeds a 5 speed automatic into the 4x4 gearbox, appears to be all stock) These seems to be things I can't find in books, and maybe you guys don't know either.
---> It there a jolt or is it smooth when placed into Reverse or Drive?
---> Does it normally rev to 6K and hold a bit before shifting to 2nd when floored from a stop?
---> When going up a hill or slight incline is it supposed to decrease speed a bit then, drop down to 2 gears, rev up to 4K then shift up while getting back up to the desired speed?

Background notes: Engine was recently (60-100miles) rebuilt, gas pedal maybe has a bad sender (if that is even a thing on this rig), Brake and ABS lights are on, a light occasionally comes on the lower right corner of the instrument cluster )@( with more of a lightning bolt through the @ symbol.

So far, I enjoy the truck and hope to keep it on the road for many more miles, it only had 180K.

Thanks for your time.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I own a Cummins now, but I've driven lots of gas Rams for the government and every one of them always felt like I was going to blow the damn engine with every little hill I climbed and heaven forbid if I had a trailer on the back. So my experience says your shifting is normal, but I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lightening bolt symbol indicates an issue with the throttle body. Are you getting any codes?

MrFixIt, see @Fast69Mopar's post on this thread:

Looking at your other thread, it may be pointing to the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor.

OP
OP
MrFixIt

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The lightening bolt symbol indicates an issue with the throttle body. Are you getting any codes?

MrFixIt, see @Fast69Mopar's post on this thread:

Looking at your other thread, it may be pointing to the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor.
Wife just mentioned last night she loves me putting the truck back on the road but asked me just how sure I am this APPS could be a problem. I said, I’m a troubleshooter, but these Dodge guys seem to know their rigs. Once again, you guys are so helpful and your memory retention…. WOW! Thanks again.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been digging a little bit after seeing your threads about the APPS - so far I am not able to find the sensor.

Out of curiosity, did you replace the ECM?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452