Transmission shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Those pieces look like snap rings to me, probably from a clutch pack. There are factory service manuals still out there free to download if you have not already done so.

I too hate automatics, I had mine professionally rebuilt in 2017 about 50000 miles ago, and I'm fairly certain the converter has gone out. Disappointing. Gimme a good ole' crunch box anyday.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking the same thing. I dont know if my truck is still slipping since I can't do really any real driving. I still have to go back and re-due my intake since I messed up. Waiting to see if I can get this new job that will work regular hours with week ends off so I can drive back into it. Just came home from work and the ford truck I'm driving is now clicking so I have to address that first. I have a odd feeling drive shaft u joints again. I just can't win lately.lol. I watched all those videos and I must say that I would rebuild one if needed.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Indeed Bear Gibson ! Grind me off a pound any day ! but newer manuals won't even let you do that!

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
At this stage, I have to pull the trans, and make a decision, I can't trust running it with those two pieces stuck to the magnet. Word is , I will get better fuel economy sticking with the Auto.
But I would still rather push and shove. I'm debating between the NV 3500 , 4500, 5600, or the Getrag 6 speed. My real concern is the gearing being for towing, or economy. I'm thinking I can change the rear end gears for more economy if the manual is more aligned for towing? I wont be doing much towing.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
The next issue is the trans mount and driveshaft, do I have concerns here?

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I got it almost out, seems to be hung up somewhere. Current videos I watch are some but not particularly helpfull, all the bolts are out and Ive wiggled it somewhat back and but it seems hung up. Videos are not clear on the removal of the dirt cover, but this seems to be the source of the hang up. One video showed the guy keeping lowering the jack and wiggling it untill it came out, but the torque converter stayed in. The TC being bolted to the flywheel. I have not removed any exhaust pipes, they do not seem to be in the way. A couple bolts on the dirt cover look really hard to get to, I may have to remove a crosspiece.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Finally got it out by removing the dirt cover, Been doing this slowly and carefully to keep it from falling on my head or breaking my hand. Still managed to pinch a finger real good, it rolled to the passenger side, guess i didn't have it balanced right. Did not have to remove exhaust or front wheel cross member, though maybe I might while getting it back together.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Got the Torque Converter out, and finally got a look at the crank and indeed appears there is a place for a pilot bearing! I pulled loose some of the sound proofing which had cut out spots for both transfer case levers and manual shift and found there is a bolted in plate to remove for transfer lever, but not one for manual trans, although there is a stamped section which looks like the place to cut out. Looking under the dash there is an apparent place to mount a clutch pedal and an unused wiring plug for a clutch switch. So it is looking really good that I may be able to switch to manual after all.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
No real progress yet, just been cleaning everything. Weather had been very rainy. Made it to a junk yard one day to see what I might find for manual conversion parts. Rainy weather has kept the work hours down, but its cleared up and the hours along with a Fat pay raise is going to get his project going!

Appears that the 3.9 , 318 , 360 /5.9 , all use the same stuff as far as manual Transmission goes.

There are a few U-pull places around, so I'm going to pack up the tool box and jack, and spend a few Saturdays collecting up stuff.

I am going to end the thread, and create a new one to detail my conversion for the benefit of someone else who wants to do the same.