Transmission shortage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2016 2500 6.4 4wd. Transmission failure AGAIN at 180k. First failure at 120k. Rebuilt at 120, now they’re looking for a reman unit. I have the Maxcare plan, and this repair has been approved by Mopar warranty company.

HOWEVER—truck went down 8/18, and it’s still down. Dealer cannot find reman unit. I’ve called Ram customer care and they are following up with me weekly on the parts availability, but so far it’s just a weekly call telling me nothing yet over and over.

Apparently it’s a supply chain issue—at least that’s what I’m getting from Ram. Anybody have any insight or suggestions? Right now it appears I’m at their mercy unless I wanna just dump the truck, and that’s not my preference at this time. TIA

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe if they weren't all failing they wouldn't be running out :)

Mine failed at 38K and then again at 90K and is still hanging on at 120K. Although, my engine was just done at 120K and that took about two months at the dealer to get all the parts needed (the gasket kit was what really held things up which seemed odd).

Both times with the tranny failure they chose to rebuild the existing one. One of the times the service guy remarked that essentially every part in the thing had been replaced. If that's true and possible I don't understand why they can't/don't just rebuild yours rather than waiting for a replacement. Maybe the individual parts are even harder to get?

Fwiw, all my stuff has been done under Maxcare too.... pretty nice purchase, right?

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Years ago, working at Mopar, we would rebuild everything in house. Only thing that got reman was used car/trucks came in on trade in.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Supply chain issues are affecting everything we do these days so no surprise there.

Maybe see if they are willing to let you utilize another transmission vendor and reimburse you? Probably not but it might be worth asking.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what happens when you make an inferior product, and it's made over seas. I couldn't even stock pads for my truck for like 6 months. They all come from China.

bigdodge

Reaction score
That transmission is made in Kokomo Indiana and full production of it was stopped 3 years ago

OP
OP
J

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Supply chain issues are affecting everything we do these days so no surprise there.

Maybe see if they are willing to let you utilize another transmission vendor and reimburse you? Probably not but it might be worth asking.

I’ve asked about using a tranny from outside their supply chain. They said sure—but it would be at my cost and they wouldn’t warranty the part.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve asked about using a tranny from outside their supply chain. They said sure—but it would be at my cost and they wouldn’t warranty the part.
That may be better then no vehicle at all . Warranties are great when things get repaired in a timely manner, however if they will not repair for whatever reason it’s not worth a dime. Lots of people having similar issues,but still are making monthly payments,plus paying for the warranty.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
That transmission is made in Kokomo Indiana and full production of it was stopped 3 years ago
wwwhhhhhaaaatttt, are you saying supply chain issues strikes again, when you shut down manufacturing of X item, eventually you will run the supply chain empty? Go figure.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Warranties are great to have. No where in you contract to buy a truck did it require you to take it to the dealership for repairs. If you want RAM to pay for it, sure. Lots of private companies out there willing to build you a new trans, for a price.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
wwwhhhhhaaaatttt, are you saying supply chain issues strikes again, when you shut down manufacturing of X item, eventually you will run the supply chain empty? Go figure.

Genius executives squeezed every dime out of the supply system with zero inventory. ANY disruption, not to mention a worldwide disease outbreak, fails that system. They didn't care as long as their big profit bonus checks kept rolling in.

Now they're all pointing their fingers elsewhere and laying off workers. What a great business model (for executives only).

OP
OP
J

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally have truck back. Ram customer care gave me 8 free oils changes and tire rotations, probably more out of being a squeaky wheel. I eventually sent an email to Carlos Tavares and CC’d some other execs. No response, but the following week I had a transmission being delivered. Related? Probably not, but at least she’s running again.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Glad you got your truck back.
Just curious.....my MaxCare covers a rental car up to xx dollars a day. Did they give you a loaner or did you get a rental, I mean you're talking about being out a vehicle for years. I know when a small part in my shifter had broke they said it'd be months to get the new part in so I asked for the loaner or call the rental company. After a week plus taking their loaner they striped the part from a new on the lot truck and fixed mine. Guess they didn't want me driving their loaner for free for months just racking up miles.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally have truck back. Ram customer care gave me 8 free oils changes and tire rotations, probably more out of being a squeaky wheel. I eventually sent an email to Carlos Tavares and CC’d some other execs. No response, but the following week I had a transmission being delivered. Related? Probably not, but at least she’s running again.

Mid last year, the transmission failed on my 2015 Ford Expedition (under Ford service contract). After 8 days to diagnose, it took 51 more days to repair by my Ford dealer due to lack of parts.

Then, the steering gear failed. It took my Ford dealer 72 days to repair it (after diagnosis), due to lack of parts. When I picked it up recently the right outside power-fold mirror was broken. The dealer agreed to order a new one and replace it.

Ford gave me nothing.