Transmission slipping in and out of overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Roethler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gasser
Started a few days ago, it will slip out of overdrive and back in repeatedly. Goes from 1600 rpm to 2100 sometimes up to 2500. Rpms also fluctuate with OD off. Replaced tps a few months ago. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you are getting that with the OD off you likely have clutches slipping in the trasmission. Take it to a good Transmission shop and get them to adjust the bands and cable linkages and change the fluid. You might get lucky and not need a rebuild, but they will be able to tell you that as soon as they drop the pan. Do not drive it more than you have to, slipping clutches are not good.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If that is the interior of yur truck my bet is the transmission has not been well and properly serviced. On those older trucks they need to be drained and the adjustments done per the service manual about every 50,000 miles. If not you get premature failure. My 96 has been properly serviced and at over 160,000 miles, transmission and everything else is still perfect, and it has seen quite a bit of severe duty use.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a little note that if you're trying to debug some stuff and posting videos as part of the help, people probably don't share your taste in music, it covers up engine/other noise which might be useful, and it's probably illegal to share a 10+ second clip due to copyright issues.

RockandPinyonPine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did this exact thing when the fluid was low because I was checking it in park. Check your trans fluid in neutral and make sure it's full. If it is and looks clean then try a half bottle to a full bottle of Lucas Stop Slip. If that fixes it then you know for sure you need a rebuild.

OP
OP
S

Steven Roethler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gasser
Forgot to mention, transmission was rebuilt and has less than 40k on the rebuild. Has an upgraded sonnax accumulator piston and a transgo jr **** kit installed. Fluid was changed less than 5k miles ago. Fluid doesn't smell burnt and still is a bright red color. Fluid level has been checked while in neutral and was a little low but didn't change the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steven Roethler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gasser
Fluid sample came back clean, not a trace of any clutch material or metal in it. I checked the codes and it has a p0740 for torque converter

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Forgot to mention, transmission was rebuilt and has less than 40k on the rebuild. Has an upgraded sonnax accumulator piston and a transgo jr **** kit installed. Fluid was changed less than 5k miles ago. Fluid doesn't smell burnt and still is a bright red color. Fluid level has been checked while in neutral and was a little low but didn't change the issue.
Was the torque converter replaced during the rebuild? If your fluid level is correct, that's the next thing to focus on. Also, can you clarify if after you topped off the fluid you cleared the P0740 and that it came back after being cleared? If you did, does the code come back quickly upon startup, or when you are driving? (If the former, you probably have air bubbles in your fluid from a worn seal allowing fluid to leak back to the pan when stopped.)

Also, check your transmission oil cooler lines for any possible leakage or damage. I saw similar problems with a line that had a pin-hole leak that let air in and fluid out.

slipsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In for a solution, mine is acting similar, except no codes, OD only issue, Tow mode doesn't seem to affect the issue, just makes it happen less. Seems to be hunting for a gear, once you give it more throttle it goes away. My guess is I need new seals on the pistons.

04 1500 5.7L 4wd so 545rfe with the fun expensive solenoid pack.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
BACKUP SOMEWHAT. You need to tell us more info.
What year .. & what transmission..
If your describing a ... I Can't remember which trans my truck has but mine it's a 2000 2wd. My trans is bad about at 42 mph shifting in & out of 3rd into O/D. iF This is your case then.
GO TO THE battery cables . over on the passenger side of truck back about 2 ft from the fire wall there is a black connection on that Positive battery cable... I THINK IT'S ON THE POSITIVE CABLE .. UNPLUG THAT SLIP connection & clean if you want to .. But I think just unplugging it & putting it back together will work for the test.... GO DRIVE FOR a few days if it's fixed..
Then when I worked at DODGE Dealership. many years ago . We cut that plug out & soldier it back together . Very permatily tape & put some good heat shrink rap on it.
Fixed ..
If that's doesn't fix it . and Your trans has some code in it but you haven't said anything about more codes .
But pull the pan & clean it up .. looking for metal shaving ... Hint to do a better job let that pan down without disturbing the fluids . drop it straight down . look in pan with fluid still in it . There 4 or 5 little spots/ locations that there could be metal shaving piled up. since you said your fluid has just been changed . Then I doubt yours will have anything in it .
... each pile is located in a particular spot . TELLING YOU WHERE THAT RETURN PILE is coming from .
but now you can change out the GOVERNOR Pressure switch & the TRANSDUCER ...
tHIS JOB WHILE I WORKED at CHRYSLER STEALERSHIP .. cOST ABOUT $350.00. I believe you can get those 2 parts from NAPA now.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
But I'll bet you need to cut & solider that no.4 bATTERY CABLE . fray those 2 ends. out about an inch on each end ... Push them back together & do your best soldier job ever & Heat shrink & tape them up .SEE IF IT NOW STAYS IN o/d at 42 mph.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Started a few days ago, it will slip out of overdrive and back in repeatedly. Goes from 1600 rpm to 2100 sometimes up to 2500. Rpms also fluctuate with OD off. Replaced tps a few months ago. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ram Cares .... now I'm not trying to come off as a jerk While responding to your answer. BUT His truck looks like it'd be completely out of warranty . SO THE DEALERSHIP is just another highdollar repair shop.
I worked at a Stealership for 10 years.
& most importante .. not all the trans made experienced this problem . I kind of believe only one model had this problem . SO DON'T MUDDY the water with info not relevant to the repair this member needs .
..... An the dealership I worked at .. We had 3 really good techs '' top 1000 in the USA. So chrysler sent us differents repairs from across Texas that other dealers couldn't fix. Those THAT CHRYSLER DIDN'T WANT TO GO INTO Lemon Law returns. Now i WAS NOT one of those top 1000. I'm bragging on those 3. But I was the main Service Advisor & I wrote up those work orders ..
But we ''here '' still need some more information this repair .
RAM I'M Sure not trying to be UGLY with my answer.