transmission up/down shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In "Tow Mode", mine will go into 8th but only on freeway straight stretches.

Interesting! I do long stretches of 70+ MPH and mine won't advance past 7th in tow mode. Mine is a pentastar w/ 3.21 gears.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 5.7 in my last Ram. A 2013 Express quad cab. It had a 6 speed with 3.55’s. She would be pretty good with holding 6th even with a little incline. You just had to know how to drive her. Plus it had a HemiFever tune which I think did something to the line pressure which also seemed to help. Now my 2018 Big Horn 5.7 Quad Cab Big Horn with 3.21’s is another story. It has the 8 speed HP tranny and a Pedal Commander set at Sport +2, and yes, when approaching an incline regardless of how I try to ease the pedal ever so slightly, she will downshift to 7th, sometimes 6th depending on the grade. It’s normal and doesn’t bother me a bit. I love my Pedal Commander and love my 8 speed even more.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will also experience a lot of faux shifting and shifting due to the MDS engagement disengagement. It is an outstanding transmission. For the 1st time this weekend I activated what I'll reference as hill descent mode, I was doing about 45 and applied ample brake pressure and felt it gear down as it will in cruise control to maintain descent down hill. I did not feel it holding enough speed back and reapplied the brakes, only to have it shifted down even another gear in order to maintain a speed I wanted but without cruise control.

This trucks tech with respect to the drive train continues to amaze. From tranny to brakes responding in such a way as to make axles act as though they are locked, i.e. all 4 wheels spin in snow from stop sign take off. To the fact that an open diff rear can lay out twin stretch marks from a stand still or the fact that it will break the tires loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd with little effort.
Finally the biggest kick I get............15.063 seconds @ 93 mph weighing in at just under 6000 lbs on the track in a 1/4 mile and all bone stock.

My commute used to suck....... Now I know I can run that little ricer down and blow his doors off when he ****** me off so I just take solace in that fact and enjoy the ride.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 2015 with 3.92s will downshift to 7th or 6th when going up a slight hill or speeding up slightly on a 70mph freeway. Sometimes it seems to hang in 7th and won't upshift back to 8th even after I completely let off. I usually have to coax it back into 8th using the Shift+ button on the steering wheel.

Hello Potatomafia,
If you feel your vehicle is not operating as designed we would kindly suggest bringing this to the attention of your servicing dealer. If you decide to go this route and need any additional assistance throughout that process, please do not hesitate reaching out to us.
Laura
RamCares

jtuck82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had an issue with the 8 speed not holding in 8th gear. mine downshifts to 7th at the slightest incline then back up, kinda like a yoyo
Its a 2019 ram classic 5.7 with the 8 speed transmission.

I just got a 2019 Ram 1500 classic crew cab with 5.7, 3.21 gears and 8 speed. Mine does identical to what you described. Slightest incline on interstate and it drops back to 7th gear then back up to 8 quite often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro