Transmission won't engage to drive, but engages to reverse, fault code P0731

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Cibin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn 166k miles, 5.7 Hemi

SHORT VERSION:
When engage to drive, truck will move 8-10 ft then disengages. If I cycle it to park and back to drive, I hear a cluck noise and the truck won't move, unless if I re-start the truck, then again rolls about 8-10 ft.
Reverse works fine. Also if I engage the 4x4 low I'm able to drive it normal, won't go to limp mode.

Checking for P0731, possible solutions that I tried so far:
1. Fluid level was fine
2. Input/output sensors replaced, but lo luck.
As the problem persists, I was planning to flush the transmission fluid even before this issue, so I flushed the transmission and new filters were installed. Needless to say, it didn't help.
So next step is to replace the solenoid pack, which I will order today.

But if anyone have any other ideas or feedback, it would be nice.

LONG VERSION(if anyone wants to know more details)
When I put in drive, it moves about 8-10 ft then disengages, however reverse is fine.
Yesterday I went from Mass to NY to pick-up a boat, on my way back to Mass, I had the transmission gauge all time reading no more than 204F on some hills. The trip was fine until the last +-15 miles to get home, when I stopped for gas. Leaving the gas station which is in a corner, I had I red light and I was about to do a complete stop, the light turned green and I probably was about 5mph and I heard a clunk noise, stopped to check the boat trailer (thinking it was the axle or something), didn't see anything wrong, jump in the truck put to drive and nothing, the truck won't move just revs up, tried reverse and it's fine. So tried a few more times cycling between park-drive-reverse and only I can hear when putting it into D is a small clunk noise. So I shut it off, check underneath the truck and can't see anything wrong. Started the truck again, engage D and I was able to maybe roll for maybe 8-10 ft. and again a clunk noise like the transmission/transfer disengages. So the turning it off start again it moves just for a few feet. Lucky me, there was a parking there and I could back up to a spot and drop the boat/trailer to test the truck w/o towing anything. But still the same, then I decide to try engaging all the 4x4 options and finally the truck engaged to the 4low and I was able to drive it. Disengage the 4 low back to 2wd and the problem persists. So it was really late and having only 15 miles to get home and back-road option, connected the trailer/boat back and I was able to drive back home on 4low going 25-30mph.
This morning the problem persists, scanned using AlfaOBD and the only code is the P0731, and I don't know if it's the app issue, but I could connect to multiple modules but can't connect to ZF8HP45 module. I have attached some screenshots.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220914-080029_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-080029_AlfaOBD.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220914-075427_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-075427_AlfaOBD.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My initial thought was solenoid so that's probably a good call but still kind of a guess. I'd probably be more sure if it just didn't go into gear at all. The fact that it goes in and then drops out of gear seems strange but I'm no transmission tech. If the solenoid doesn't do it I suppose the valve body would be next? Of course, it starts to get expensive throwing parts at it so at some point maybe get into a shop for some diagnostics.

OP
OP
D

David Cibin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My initial thought was solenoid so that's probably a good call but still kind of a guess. I'd probably be more sure if it just didn't go into gear at all. The fact that it goes in and then drops out of gear seems strange but I'm no transmission tech. If the solenoid doesn't do it I suppose the valve body would be next? Of course, it starts to get expensive throwing parts at it so at some point maybe get into a shop for some diagnostics.
Yeah, I have the solenoid pack arriving tomorrow, I'll update after replacing it.

OP
OP
D

David Cibin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replaced the solenoid pack, but did not work. The only part left is the valve body and worst case the torque converter. But at this point I don't think I will replace anything else, I found a transmission near me for $300 with 40k miles less than mine and 3 months warranty. I'm kind of crossing out any electrical issue, as I can drive the truck if I start it with the 4Low or going on neutral downhill I can engage to drive I can even change gear manually as well, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ....

So would make more sense to me just throw a "new" transmission there than replace anything else