Travel distance question for seasoned RV ers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My question is to those with a 6.4 Hemi. My wife and are headed for our first long distance RV trip next week, and I figure I have roughly a 200 mile range with my 6.4 pulling my 5th wheel.

Has anyone ever had problems finding gas stations that are trailer friendly? In my area some of the gas stations have the fuel lanes perpendicular to the building so you can’t get in and out with a large trailer.

I was thinking of maybe carrying a little extra gas with me, but I thought I’d see what others here do.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You have to be careful about where you fuel. Look at the station while driving by and if it looks like it could be a problem just go on to the next. I always carry 12 extra gallons with me even though I have the 50 gallon tank. On another note- don't depend too much on your gas gauge or miles to empty. A few times I have had about 200 miles to empty with a town about 100 miles away. Encountered slight grades with a hard head wind and by the time I got to the station I was dinging low fuel.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Me and my son both have 2018 2500's with the 6.4's and 4.10's. He has towed his 8000lb TT all over the country (8500 miles towing). He tried to stop at truck stops with bigger lots but has had to stop at smaller stations. Just have to be very careful. We both get about 200 miles to a tank when towing that heavy so you are pretty accurate there. Actually I think his EVIC says 240 miles to empty but he starts looking for truck stops after about 150 miles. Might add an extra stop or two on your trip but might be worth the hassle. I told him to carry extra cans with him but he never did. His furthest trips were from Pittsburgh to Williston, ND and back, then Pittsburgh to Baytown, TX and then from Baytown to Thief River Falls, MN. There were a bunch of other shorter trips too. He was working on the gas pipelines and living in his TT so had it loaded up pretty heavy. I towed my step-sons 9300lb TT with mine but it was only 100 miles. I filled up before we left and filled up again when we got back. My actual hand calculated MPG was 6.7 MPG and was pretty flat driving. EVIC read 7.4 MPG. We weighed 17,240 lbs total (CAT scale verified). When my son went to Baytown I went with him and we checked the mileage a couple of times and it was 8.46 actual hand calculated with his 8100lb TT (total CAT scale weight was 16,180lbs). 2nd tank was 8.07MPG. Got 211 miles on the first tank before stopping and it took 24.913 gallons to fill it. 2nd stop we went 192 miles and it took 23.799 gallons to fill it. 3rd tank we went 168.4 miles and it took 20.712 gallons to fill it (8.13 MPG). We didn't track it anymore after that. I know it has a 31 gallon tank but when the gauge is on E and the low fuel light comes on it usually only takes about 27 gallons to fill it

Hope this helps

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have made a couple long ish trips around 250-300 miles first I was pulling my dads toy hauler that had onboard gas tank and pump so no worries there. Second trip pulling my trailer I had a full 5 gal tank and a generator with 3 gal. With that being said I stoped twice there and once on the way back. On the way back I knew the area I was rolling into and where I could stop if needed. I have found most stations I can get in and out of even with my 35ft trailer with out to much issues just stay on the outside and have a exit strategy, look for truck stops and large stations. The 31 gal tank and 8 mpg is by far the worst part of the 6.4l.

OP
OP
SKS 800

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you for the replies.

Probably my biggest gripe of the Ram product is the fuel tank, 1) the size 2) the EVIC calibration. I’ve had two 3500’s, crew cab, short boxes with 6.4’s. When the low fuel light comes on they take 24 +- gallons, when the gauge is pegged on E and the DTE reads 0 miles I can only get 27+-gallons in.
I know the 8’ bed has a 50 gallon fuel tank, but it won’t fit in my garage.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may have a 50 gallon tank or whatever size but you need to consider that the fuel pump and baffles take up room in the tank which takes away from the capacity of gas or fuel the tank can hold. That will take a couple gallons out of the tank right off the bat. My advice would be to carry extra gas with you regardless of gas station accessibility and enjoy the trip

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I always start scoping out stations as soon as I hit half a tank, inevitably, I have to pass a few by, as there's no way to get a 34' trailer into them. By doing that, I've never been caught not being able to get gas.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have found that Chevron stations seem to have better access for a trailered RV in general than others.
They seem to be most often parallel to the road rather that at 90 degrees.
Corner stations are usually ok if you use the outside pumps.
And I also start looking when I'm just under 1/2 tank.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
My last 2 Rams was a 2003 and a 2013 3500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I also have a 5th wheel. My travel experience has been to tow the 5th wheel from NE Ohio to central Florida every winter. My average miles per tank was right around 210 with the exception of pulling through West Virginia.
When I had the Hemi I planned the route around Flying J because they are the only outlet that consistantly has RV lanes with gas. Pilot does not and neither does Loves although Loves most often is a easier in and out

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have the Flying J App on my phone. It was really handy when I had my 6.4. They almost always have RV pumps, so I would scan my route ahead, and plan my fuel stops accordingly.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Went from Hickory, NC to Destin, FL...oh with a gas truck and a 34' trailer it is "fun" getting gas. I look for the straight throughs or enter on the left entrance and exit out the right. You can see in the picture below. Also Pilot, Flying J, Sheets - those are usually more trailer friendly.

See FUN!

Larry-GAS.jpg

EDIT: And yes that is a 1500 GASP!!!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you take extra gas cans, use metal ones with venting pull handles to be as safe as possible. I sometimes scope out my trip with possible stops identified, then I do Google map view of stations in town to see what they look like so I know what I can fit in. Have fun.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
In April my Wife and I took a trip with our 28' Jayco from Greenville, SC to Gulf Shores Al. I have a Big Horn 1500 5.7 with a 26 gallon tank.. I made sure I stopped just below a half tank for fuel. Camper weighs out around 5400 empty. There are several apps out there that help with fuel stops plus my Garmin GPS show fuel stops on the way. I have the 3.21 gear. Weight distribution with anti sway hookup. Had to stop frequently, but actually was a good thing. We got on average about 8 miles to the gallon. Getting ready to do a short camping trip next week. I just installed and had programed at dealer the factory trailer brake. I found all the parts on line and installed it myself. Love camping. We are now planning a trip to Key West.

Attachments

• Bonifay Camper 2021.jpg
    Bonifay Camper 2021.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
SKS 800

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Today we traveled from west MI to Egg Harbor WI, hard to find gas stations I can get a 33’ trailer in. Filled up 3 times in 500 miles. Had a strong head wind all the way up WI, averaged 6.6 hand calculated, ouch!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Today we traveled from west MI to Egg Harbor WI, hard to find gas stations I can get a 33’ trailer in. Filled up 3 times in 500 miles. Had a strong head wind all the way up WI, averaged 6.6 hand calculated, ouch!
Sounds about right unfortunately

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I spent a year traveling from NY to Grafton and Port Washington to rebuild engines and install new electronics in a large sport fisher. Really nice country up there, if you get a chance PW is a neat place to checkout. Had some fun times there.

For that cost of gas, I wonder if the ferry would have been an option. I have not been there in years, not sure how much it is.

OP
OP
SKS 800

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I spent a year traveling from NY to Grafton and Port Washington to rebuild engines and install new electronics in a large sport fisher. Really nice country up there, if you get a chance PW is a neat place to checkout. Had some fun times there.

For that cost of gas, I wonder if the ferry would have been an option. I have not been there in years, not sure how much it is.
The ferry would of been around $500 and only saved about 1 1/2 hours, I had about $250 in fuel.
And I have trust issues with someone else loading and off loading my truck and trailer.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
our longest travel trailer tow so far has been frm DFW to big bend, texas..570m each way. left Hurst around 9:00 A.M. got to Lajitas before 6:00. had a cross wind most of the way and got 8mpg