Travel trailer and suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Everything on a semi is built to work hard and last a million miles. Half tons are generally done at 250K. So it's not the technology (air bags), it's the quality with which they're built.
That's it, in a Nut Shell.
Yes, they do make Quality Air Bags, for 1/2 ton Trucks.

B U T

They are for 1/2 trucks, not 3/4 trucks.
When guys use the air bags to remove some squat, from a load well within guidelines, Most never have problem and love them.

When Bags are used to, while the truck is loaded to its upper limits or beyond,
well, in that instance, you are going to discover the Quality,
of the manufacturers Quality control checks, on the assembly line.

Which brings me back to my original Assessment, bags should not be used, as a first line of defense.

They should be used ONLY in a supporting role
PUN INTENDED

If the truck is going to be worked hard or driven hard, with a load over half of its rated limits,
go with actual, physical Steel Spring upgrades. Get better shocks, to handle the increased workload.
Those OEM shocks are designed for ride, not load handling. They can and will handle the rated load
but they are not going to shine or do it well.

Again, 1/2 trucks can be loaded to their upper limits.
They willl handle that weight but they are not going to function
nearly as well as 3/4 or 1 ton.

What are the biggest differences between those trucks?
Springs, shocks, axles, brakes, etc.

Well, guess what, you can buy springs, shocks & Brakes that will get you there, so why not do it?
Add bags if ya need them but go with the far less likely to fail options first.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
What about fun bags?
Well, Zoe,
I've often wondered why you never went larger Fun Bags, myself.
That rear end is only going to take you so far.

You got eh money, upgrade, Girl, Upgrade.
Get a few more years, out of that body, while you can.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have recently purchased a 7700 lb travel trailer to tow with my 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7. I have the heavy duty weight distribution hitch system which has pretty much taken care of the truck squat issues. My question is while it handles well on the road, when I hit bigger bumps and swells in the road the suspension feels a little spongy. I was thinking of installing spring helpers on the leaf springs. Any suggestions or feedback?
Similiar setup, I had a similar problem. Usually when hitting the expansion joints when approaching bridges and such. I call it Porpoising for lack of a better term. After hitting the bump the rear of truck bounces up and down up to about 3 times. Other than that it trailers great.

I bought Rancho 9000 XL adjustable shocks and it cured the problem. Now I get one bounce and only one bounce. I have them set on adjustment 7 for trailering. And they are ok around town also. So I just leave them on 7.

Good Luck.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help me understand why do so many people report have problems with air bags, the trucking industry has been using them for 40 years in many different climates, yet owners of 1/2 to 1 ton trucks seem to have a lot more problems then a semi truck with a weight of 40+ tons...
Ran bags on a Duramax for 250K with no problems at all.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have recently purchased a 7700 lb travel trailer to tow with my 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7. I have the heavy duty weight distribution hitch system which has pretty much taken care of the truck squat issues. My question is while it handles well on the road, when I hit bigger bumps and swells in the road the suspension feels a little spongy. I was thinking of installing spring helpers on the leaf springs. Any suggestions or feedback?
Common problem with bumper pulls and WDH. Slow down when going over humps or through dips if possible. Had the same issue with every BP I had. Remember that the leverage point is four feet behind the axle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Papabarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to all for your response. Just finished the first leg of our first long haul. 8 hrs. Long for us. The ride was pretty good except maybe for some bad spots on the highway. Where I really felt affects was when a big car hauler passed and pulled in front of us. Man, those suckers create some crazy turbulence. I slowed down and let him get far enough ahead to stop the tail wiggle. Pretty freaky. I’ve been thinking about the airlift 1000. Looks like it might be a done deal. Thanks again for the input.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The fishtail of your vehicle is a result of either too much weight behind the axle of your trailer and/or an incorrect adjustment on your sway control bar. You certainly should feel a slight push as a rig comes up behind you and of course turbulence is a given close to the back of it. But you shouldn't have the effect be as much as you appear to have encountered. I will offer my years of trailering that once the initial "push" is over, I generally settle back in without that lingering sway effect you mention. Check your adjustment and weight. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The fishtail of your vehicle is a result of either too much weight behind the axle of your trailer and/or an incorrect adjustment on your sway control bar. You certainly should feel a slight push as a rig comes up behind you and of course turbulence is a given close to the back of it. But you shouldn't have the effect be as much as you appear to have encountered. I will offer my years of trailering that once the initial "push" is over, I generally settle back in without that lingering sway effect you mention. Check your adjustment and weight. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
My gut is the OP want bags and doesn't want to address the weight distribution hitch issue.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My gut is the OP want bags and doesn't want to address the weight distribution hitch issue.
I agree, it is always fun to spend money, it is less so going through a checklist of things to see where the problem really is. I am going through the same in my house. Electric bill is double last year (we are all electric) and instead of looking at the Clark W. Griswald display I have out front and the myriad of charging bIocks in every outlet, I immediately look up solar panel installers.