Treadwright Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I wouldn't run re-treads on a daily road driven vehicle. But if the price was right I'd definitely use them on an offroad vehicle for farm use or trail/mud use.

Shockracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a set of 4 Goodyear MTR look a likes with the Kleage grip (I think they called it) to help with cold weather road conditions for my Jeep. They were 285/70/17 and were priced very well back then (10 years ago). I monitored the balancing and had the shop spin two of the tires 180 degrees to get weight needed lower. The tires did everything I asked them to do, even with heavy rocky mountain off-roading they held up great as well as being use as a daily and for road trips across the country! The ones I bought were before they wrapped the entire carcass. everyone I've talked to that have also used them have had zero issues also. The only downside I seen with them is they were very heavy.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's also a retread, but a cold cap retread. Cold caps are what's used on trailers that you see the alligators on the road from when they get hot and let go, giving retreads the bad name they sometimes have. Hot caps are the same as a new tire, assuming the original carcass was still in good shape.
Don't agree. I worked in a hot cap tire retreading place when I was in high school. One of those jobs that makes you realize college might be worth it. Also made me realize running retreads was not a cost effective solution, as they generally did not last as long as new tires.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Don't agree. I worked in a hot cap tire retreading place when I was in high school. One of those jobs that makes you realize college might be worth it. Also made me realize running retreads was not a cost effective solution, as they generally did not last as long as new tires.

I should have added the caveat "when comparing similar quality of manufacturers" to be more accurate. Much like some OEM tires are trash out the door, I'm sure some retreading companies are making lesser products as well. Certainly a good reminder to buy from someone with good feedback and a proven product.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....One of those jobs that makes you realize college might be worth it.

Yeah, Great way to put that. Having been to a couple re-cap places, I here where you're coming from. Most tire places and plastics factories are questionable environments. Although I had exactly ONE large plastic company (customer) which did invest in good clean air for it's workers and the whole plant was spotless & air conditioned. It was rare, but they were well-run (profitable), paid their people decent wages/health care and had little turn-over.

I worked at one of those "College might be worth it" jobs the summer out of H/S.

Last edited:

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I worked at one of those "College might be worth it" jobs the summer out of H/S.
I hear that.

That summer, I worked a a pork slaughterhouse and almost lost a finger, by August had a job framing houses and put a nail thru the same hand ( nail guns with no safety). Was in the six-year bachelor's degree plan after that working full time and school full time. ( cook and manufacturing line until degree)

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Cooper AT that is only at Walmart is a great value in a new AT tire for our trucks. I think I paid $123 a tire for 275/60/17.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been eyeing venom power tires, they are made in the factory as cooper and I can get them for $875 shipped.
099E31C5-02F1-4424-8975-94A8CE9CDFC5.png

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Recaps (retreads) you buff down the tread only. A strip of premade tread is then glued on. The tire retains its original sidewall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSUYURoDUc

The remold process puts new rubber from bead to bead. The tire is then put in the same molding presses used in new tire production to create the tread and sidewall design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJXEzZOZBo
Bottom line both processes still use the "inner core" of an old tire so that rubber has "dried" out. According to
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and official manufacturers suggest a new tire is only 100% safe to use until it turns 5-6 years old, So your core of the tire is most likely the weak link in the tire.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There might be some truth to that NHTSA finding. I had 6 exact same Goodyear Wranglers on a plow vehicle. Someone gave me two exact nearly-new tires early-on from their Jeep, which matched what I had ...that's how I ended up with 6.

The Jeep was for plowing snow at a couple properties not a DD. At about 6 years maybe 7 they started showing a fair amt of cracking around the tread. Ok. Then a couple yrs after that some on the sidewall. I just ran them since they had decent tread and wasn't a hwy driver. At about 10 yrs they started failing. What astonished me is I had 3 of the 6 same Goodyear tires which failed during light snow plowing all on the INSIDE sidewall, which didn't appear cracked at all! The sidewall tore, you could put two fingers through. That would have amounted to a blow-out I believe, had they failed on the HWY.

So, that kind of changed my perspective on aged tires. OTOH, different tires age differently from what Ive seen. I've had some tires (usually cheaper no-namers), which must use a more rubber-like compound, go many years w/o any cracking at all. I avoid Goodyear's and Michelins as they seem to be among the worst for premature dry-rot. Coopers I've had in the past (pre-Goodyear) didn't hardly dry-rot at all.

I would expect (hope) Treadwell uses fairly young carcasses.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Cooper AT that is only at Walmart is a great value in a new AT tire for our trucks. I think I paid $123 a tire for 275/60/17.

I have those on my Ram. Perfect for light-duty hwy cruising. Smooth, soft sidewall. Sucks up a lot of small road 'roughness', pretty deep tread. Not for every owner. You give up a little 'handling response' that a stiffer tire might offer, but you get a smoother ride. That's what I was looking for. Great overall tire value for that purpose. Walmart mounts them for free.

But a supple tire is not the right tire for "real" off-roading or mud tire, heavy hauling/towing, etc. You want an E-rated tire with thicker carcass/tread if you go that way. But there are Coopers which have really good mud/off-road tendencies (3 or 4-series would be perfect) and are a great value. IMO, nobody is better on tires than Walmart.com. They run sales that tire outfits can't touch. And free mounting. I've bought countless sets from them (have them Road Force balanced elsewhere). Not saying other places aren't good either. Plus yer in their database if there's a problem out of town. There's so many 'good' truck tires these days, it's hard to say what's the best. I bought a local set of Hankook DynaPro A/T's last fall which would be good on/off road tire. There's too many to list.

That said, there's also value in going to the local tire shop around the corner too, which I sometimes do as well to keep them happy. I like to spread my business around.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yeah, Great way to put that. Having been to a couple re-cap places, I here where you're coming from. Most tire places and plastics factories are questionable environments. Although I had exactly ONE large plastic company (customer) which did invest in good clean air for it's workers and the whole plant was spotless & air conditioned. It was rare, but they were well-run (profitable), paid their people decent wages/health care and had little turn-over.

I had friends and family work in the industry before it dried up. Kokoku steel used to have a plant called K-Cord that made the steel belts for tires. BF Goodrich chemicals, not affiliated with the tires since they sold off that line of business sometime in the mid-80s, had a plant that made all sorts of raw chemicals. Air quality was not the best and spills/leaks did occur. I was pushed to be a chemical engineer but I escaped to the Army. Felt safer. :D Never worked a factory job a day in my life, but it's made a decent living for many of my friends and family over the years.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have run Retread/Recapped tires and have learned that I will NEVER put one the front axel of any vehicle I drive all it took was for one with less then 100 miles on it to let go and put my vehicle into the ditch, the damage done to the front end cost me 4x more then 4 new tires...

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have those on my Ram. Perfect for light-duty hwy cruising. Smooth, soft sidewall. Sucks up a lot of small road 'roughness', pretty deep tread. Not for every owner. You give up a little 'handling response' that a stiffer tire might offer, but you get a smoother ride. That's what I was looking for. Great overall tire value for that purpose. Walmart mounts them for free.

But a supple tire is not the right tire for "real" off-roading or mud tire, heavy hauling/towing, etc. You want an E-rated tire with thicker carcass/tread if you go that way. But there are Coopers which have really good mud/off-road tendencies (3 or 4-series would be perfect) and are a great value. IMO, nobody is better on tires than Walmart.com. They run sales that tire outfits can't touch. And free mounting. I've bought countless sets from them (have them Road Force balanced elsewhere). Not saying other places aren't good either. Plus yer in their database if there's a problem out of town. There's so many 'good' truck tires these days, it's hard to say what's the best. I bought a local set of Hankook DynaPro A/T's last fall which would be good on/off road tire. There's too many to list.

That said, there's also value in going to the local tire shop around the corner too, which I sometimes do as well to keep them happy. I like to spread my business around.
They do an LT 10 ply for Walmart as well, but it is $50 more per tire

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...They do an LT 10 ply for Walmart as well, but it is $50 more per tire

Yep, they do. And I have a set of those Cooper Discoverer LT's (10-ply rated) Load-E tires on another (GMC) pickup (and regular non-LT's on Ram). Bought both sets last summer.

Similar 'lookin' tread, but two different tires:

Cooper Discoverer A/T LT
Weight=50#
Rated= 123R Load Rage E
Tread = 16.5/32nd

Cooper Discoverer A/T (Regular non-LT)
Weight= 43#
Rated= 115T
Tread= 14/32nd

The LT's are much heavier and stiffer if you feel them next to each other (off the rim). Ironically I have the LTs on a lighter shortbox Reg cab GMC 4x4. That truck is stiffly sprung with an off-road pkg, so its difficult to do a comparison. I run them with a little less air pressure. It still rides nice. But I like the smooth compliant ride I get out of the lighter-duty Cooper (non-LT's) on the Ram. And I like the LT's on the GMC. It's a lot stiffer, but not ONLY bc of the tires. The LT's are probably good for minus 1-2mpgs as well. The LT's should last longer ...but in my case they'll rot off first.

All depends what ya want and wacha-do ..lol. What are your ride and handling expectations? If ya do heavy hauling or towing, you'd want the LTs. I think the Falkens people rave about aren't LT's. And their load range isn't that high. Probably why people say they ride so nice. But I'm sure other models they have ARE LTs too. When people say "You gotta get Brand-X tires they work so well!!" ...doesn't mean a whole lot. Ok, whats the model you're talking about? And what size? Even within same tire model, a different size tire can use a different (perhaps heavier) carcass and number of belts ..different load range. Gotta look at the individual size tire specs. So it's good when guys here point those details out. We all learn :waytogo:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Walmart.com runs phenomenal deals on Coopers about this time of year, or the next month or two. Worth keeping yer eyes on the sales ...if yer interested in a set. Plus you have to figure in their free mounting (balance not free ..but cheaper than most places).

Note: ...I don't work for walmart ....

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
I was looking at a couple places Sunday night comparing prices. I pulled up Treadwright's website to find they were running a March Madness sale, 15% off. After going back and forth I decided to pull the trigger on a set of the Axiom AT. They should be here Thursday. Not bad for standard shipping to PA.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool.. Keep us up to speed on how they run, handle and wear.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
My tires showed up as scheduled. They look like new tires. Only one tire has a liner repair, but I don't think this is going to be an issue. I've got an appointment next Tuesday to get them mounted. IMG_20230330_165330211.jpgIMG_20230330_170648302.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been eyeing venom power tires, they are made in the factory as cooper and I can get them for $875 shipped.
View attachment 517012
They are only $187 per tire at Wally World. I run them on my 2018. Purchased, mounted and balanced at Walmart without issue. I have over 30k miles on mine and they are wearing evenly at 40psi. Probably get better than 50k out of them. They are very good on mild off road terrain and in the rain. No experience in snow as I live in the south. They are a very heavy tire so don’t expect your mpg to go up. Noise level is not as bad as I would have expected on a LT large lug tire. They are getting louder as they age but still barely noticeable with the windows up.