Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for some advice here. I am in the process of buying a new 2022 Ram Laramie. I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn 1500 I have installed a hard fiberglass tonneau cover that I love, it looks so good but it does have its drawbacks. Unable to carry large cargo without removing it (PIA) I am thinking about getting a factory (or dealer) installed tri-fold. My question is who has the factory covers? How do you like them? Would you get them again or would you recommend a different cover. As I am looking at the factory tri fold its about $600 can I do better on the after market cover? Any advice would be appreciated.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have mopar tri fold cover. installed it myself. I like it, looks good.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When I ordered my new 2022 I went ahead and ordered the truck with the factory bed cover. I got the standard 5'7" bed and I do like the cover. It folds in two of the three panels, that is, the panel closest to the cab does not fold up but if unlatched, it allows the bed cover to come out. It does not roll up but is very easy to take off and put back on. Would I order it again, yes.

On my 3500 with the 6'4" bed, I went with the TruXedo Deuce. This cover will easily roll up to the cab or, the front third of the cover by the cab will open and lay back for easy and quick access to the front of the bed when the bed cover is deployed. Because I pull both fifth wheel and gooseneck, a roll-up was a must-have. I would go with this cover again.

I usually don't talk bad about a product unless it deserves it, stay away from the hard tri-fold backflip covers. Very heavy to fold up and didn't stand the test of time. The pop rivets that held the locking bars kept breaking off and the cover would freeze to the bed rails in the winter making it unusable and sometimes impossible to open the tailgate.

The only reason I stayed with the factory bed cover on the 2022 was need-based. I ordered the multi-functional tailgate and that gives easy access to the bed with a long reach.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I've had several factory tonneau covers as well as the TruXedo before the factory offered a cover. I would stay away from anything with velcro. Everyone I had deteriorated in a couple of years from use. The factory cover is nice, well engineered, fits well, and is easy to remove. When I use my gooseneck you just fold it up and the near cab part stays in place and offers some protection for any cargo underneath. My Son had a hard foldable (not sure of brand) that was a PIA in the winter with snow & ice if you had to fold it up. My current factory 1 is still going strong since 2015 with a yearly application of 303.

RobT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi, I just went thru a 4 week ordeal trying to order a BAKflip MX4 for my new 2022 2500 crew 4x4 with 6'4" bed. I have owned and installed two previous MX4s on both a Chevy and Ford and absolutely loved them. Install was easy and then they unfolded and snapped like a notebook into the channel rails. I wanted the same cover for my new RAM so I order the first one from Amazon. It arrive with damaged, bent side rails. Returned. Ordered #2 from Amazon. It arrived damaged the same way. Went straight to BAKflip site and ordered #3. Arrived with bent damaged side rails. BAK sent another set of rails, one had deep scratches and touch up paint (?!). However, I did luckily have 2 good L/R rails out of the 4 sent to me so I tried the install. It did not go well. The quality was not the same as my previous covers. one panel did not even have latches(?!) When I unfolded the cover, the last panel would not close, it was too wide. I double check my side rail mountings and they were flush against the side bed rails tight. The last cover panel was too wide. I gave up and returned #3. After LOVING BAKflip MX4, I am now looking for another brand for my sanity. There is a Peragon product I am considering that uses aluminum panels and rollers, and the panels fold down into bed at the cab, not up. I'm also considering the basic plastic "on top" tri-folds although I don't really like the look of them. Soft cover is not an option for me, nor is the hard one-peice cap.

If anyone with a new 2022 2500 with 6'4" bed has had a god experience with a hard tri-fold please let me know!!! thanks

RobT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update - I just web searched for the official Mopar bed cover for the 2022 2500 6'4" bed, then looked at the installation guide on the Mopar website. The Mopar cover looks like it is exactly the same cover as the BAKflip MX4 product. I may not use that since I don't want a #4 return situation.