Trick to folding seat down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lifted my rear seat quite a bit, do I need to partially raise the back and then fold it down?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The back seats do not fold down without modification. There are a number of threads on here about the “rear seat mod” or “ folding seat mod”.

Basically it involves either raising the rear seat mounts a minimum of 5/8” with spacers, or trimming the “catch” on the seat backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The back seats do not fold down without modification. There are a number of threads on here about the “rear seat mod” or “ folding seat mod”.

Basically it involves either raising the rear seat mounts a minimum of 5/8” with spacers, or trimming the “catch” on the seat backs.

I did raise... Probably closer to an inch.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Right, @AngryRams, now lift the bottom to about 45 degrees and pull the top away. You should be good to go.

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right, @AngryRams, now lift the bottom to about 45 degrees and pull the top away. You should be good to go.
Not working... SMH I know I lifted the back seat more than enough... Then again, my measurements are always wrong [emoji23]

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Check the DIY section. I forget how many washers I went with. There is also a mod you can do in combination with lifting the seat bottom. You cut the clips a bit on the seat back (I didn't want to do that, but some say it's still a solid hold).

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the DIY section. I forget how many washers I went with. There is also a mod you can do in combination with lifting the seat bottom. You cut the clips a bit on the seat back (I didn't want to do that, but some say it's still a solid hold).
I didn't really try all that hard truthfully... I'll check it out when I head to gym in awhile.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pick the seat bottom up about 1/2 way then pull the headrest forward. If you raised the seat over 3/4 inch it’ll work

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pick the seat bottom up about 1/2 way then pull the headrest forward. If you raised the seat over 3/4 inch it’ll work

Do I need to pull on it with force? And wiggling or should it just fold down with ease?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
You're lifting up the bottom and it eventually frees the top, should be effortless.

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're lifting up the bottom and it eventually frees the top, should be effortless.
It's not. Time to ***** in the heat again. Ugh!!!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When your folding up the seat bottom watch the head rest. You will see it rise and hit a point and start coming back down against the back wall. When you see the headrest is at it highest pull forward on the headrest. It should release from the wall with 0 effort. If you didn’t raise the seat bottom high enough it won’t release from the catch.

How exactly did you raise the seat to do the folding mod?

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shims and a few washers
When your folding up the seat bottom watch the head rest. You will see it rise and hit a point and start coming back down against the back wall. When you see the headrest is at it highest pull forward on the headrest. It should release from the wall with 0 effort. If you didn’t raise the seat bottom high enough it won’t release from the catch.

How exactly did you raise the seat to do the folding mod?

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking so to. I'll have to run by hardware store tomorrow.
You did all the bolts front and rear. It takes 3/4 or more to get it to work. I think you might be a few washers short

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You did all the bolts front and rear. It takes 3/4 or more to get it to work. I think you might be a few washers short

There must be some variation from truck to truck.
I was able to get the seats in my 12 crew cab to fold down with only 5/8” thick spacers.

PaPa_Brewskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not working... SMH I know I lifted the back seat more than enough... Then again, my measurements are always wrong [emoji23]

I don't know you, so please don't be offended, but this seems like an appropriate time for a "That's what she said" joke...

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know you, so please don't be offended, but this seems like an appropriate time for a "That's what she said" joke...
***** I hear that all the time .... SMH. I had to use a load of washers/spacers to make this work. Ill post pics shortly..