Tricks to reset radio/sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAASON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12" screen. Bought it new off the dealer's lot just under a year ago. About once every 2 weeks (sometimes more often) upon starting the truck the screen with say something like "SiriusXM Loading" and the little red boxes will scroll across. Can switch to different inputs but no sound. Volume will not move. Will do this until I shut the truck off for awhile then it might work next time I start it. Went back to the dealer, called the dealer, even stopped by the dealer while it was happening. Same response, "waiting for an update". This is the 3rd new vehicle I have bought from this dealer and no problems with the service department until now. I don't want to think they are giving me the runaround but it is starting to look like it. Seems to be a somewhat common problem, is everybody else getting the same response from their dealer?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, one time the volume shot to MAX without me touching anything and I thought I blew my speakers- Alpine system. They said it didn't damage my speakers but what if?

Yesterday I had an hour long road trip with no music. Today I tried calling my wife through the system and it said "phone not connected" but the other screen showed the phone connected.

So....while patiently waiting for this "update" is there any tricks to get my sound system to work when this happens except for shutting the truck off and waiting 10-15 minutes and hope that works?

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
2nd day owning my truck and same problem. Ran fine yesterday from dealer and today no sound and sirius searching

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
i just had this issue tonight. googled the problem. and there were 2 solutions that people say had worked. without any reasoning..

1. disconnect the battery or pull the fuse for the amplifier.
2. hit the button on the rear right side of the steering wheel. makes radio go from am/fm/sirius...

while trying to find the fuse to pull. i decided to just hit the button and see what happens.. sure enough.. there was sound.. had this truck since january, with zero issues. and tonight when i went to pick up dinner, there was no sound. nothing. radio was on, and i could change channels etc.. just nothing to hear..

hopefully its just a glitch and will work for you. try the button, then try the fuse..

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just had this issue tonight. googled the problem. and there were 2 solutions that people say had worked. without any reasoning..

2. hit the button on the rear right side of the steering wheel. makes radio go from am/fm/sirius...

while trying to find the fuse to pull. i decided to just hit the button and see what happens.. sure enough.. there was sound.. had this truck since january, with zero issues. and tonight when i went to pick up dinner, there was no sound. nothing. radio was on, and i could change channels etc.. just nothing to hear..

hopefully its just a glitch and will work for you. try the button, then try the fuse..
There have been several post about this from people with the 12" screens with similar issues. There is most likely a glitch it the Firmware that FCA needs to address but from everything I have heard they haven't done anything about it yet. In most cases the radios seem to continually get worse once the symptoms start and some have become totally useless. Pretty ridiculous for a 70k plus truck. They are still selling them knowing full well the 12" screen has issues.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JAASON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I can select the am/fm/sirius with the button but doesn't have any sound on any inputs. Also volume control will appear an the screen using the button but will not move.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I can select the am/fm/sirius with the button but doesn't have any sound on any inputs. Also volume control will appear an the screen using the button but will not move.

well crap. i had your exact same issue friday evening.. no sound, but all the buttons worked.. volume would go up and down. stations could be selected. and when i couldnt find which fuse was the one i needed to pull, i hit the button, and then the sound worked.. hopefully its an easy fix.

Terrie Runnels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the same issue with my 2020 Ram 1500. Have had radio replaced twice with no solution and have been waiting for the software fix that was supposed to me out around mid February according to Chrysler headquarters. I think we need to start a class action lawsuit against Chrysler to get something done.

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Having the same issue with my radio as well. Haven’t taken it to the dealer yet. Sounds like I’d be wasting my time taking it to the dealer.

drbobvs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue last week. It’s a software issue, replacing the screen will not help. I fixed mine like this:

With the engine running go to Sirius XM website on your phone.
Go to “help and support “.
Go to “contact us”.
Go to “Fix radio problems by sending a refresh signal”
Follow the 3 step process.
All has been well ever since. I hope this helps you all.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I will get the red boxes on occasion. I always figured it was a "signal searching" going on.
Lasts for for about 5 or maybe 10 seconds at the most when it happens.

Darkskies

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve completed those steps, called and did some troubleshooting with SiriusXM tech support but the issue returns. I was told cloud coverage causes it, well if the skies are blue with no clouds in site how can that be? I suspect there’s a wiring issue.