Tricks when doing an oil change on the 5.7L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What crafty ideas are you using to catch the oil coming from the oil filter ?
My 2017 ram 1500 will need and oil change soon.
What oil is being used..

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t use anything special other than the bucket I put underneath to catch the oil. Cleaning the steering rack is not bad afterwards. Don’t overthink to much just place a plastic cover big enough in the ground to prevent any oil spilling and use a container to catch the oil from the pan and filter. If you like beer enjoy 3-4 while doing the job.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap your Hemi for a Pentastar. Filter cartridge on top, easy-peezy, no mess.

:D
And what happens when you have to take the cartridge out and lift ? i used to place a plastic bag to avoid making a splash in the area which was always full of dirt (13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited), not counting how hard i used to pray the damn little coil spring in the assembly didn't breake. i had a spare just in case :)

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
And what happens when you have to take the cartridge out and lift ? i used to place a plastic bag to avoid making a splash in the area which was always full of dirt (13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited), not counting how hard i used to pray the damn little coil spring in the assembly didn't breake. i had a spare just in case :)

What coil spring? I didn't see one in the 2018 version. I lay a rag down, but really the filter is dry when you remove the housing. I can imagine in a Jeep that area could get caked with mud, but not an issue with an on-road truck.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done 2 oil changes myself so far (previous ones done by dealer while under warranty) - First change was just a mess, second time I took somebody's advice to cover the steering rack with foil and bag the filter.. still a mess.

I think if you're going to own the truck a while and diy more than a couple changes it's worth the $60 or so that a remote kit costs.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Just use a large funnel with long hose to let the oil from the filter/plate run down into your pan catch while you're waiting for that to completely drain.

Relocation kits are just an expensive future headache.

Edit- They also make a custom funnel to route 30" but they're $30 and i don't think that would be enough to get around everything.
https://formafunnel.com/

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What coil spring? I didn't see one in the 2018 version. I lay a rag down, but really the filter is dry when you remove the housing. I can imagine in a Jeep that area could get caked with mud, but not an issue with an on-road truck.

I see you have a 2018 model , you should be fine then as what i'm talking about applies to 2011-2013 for what i see in the Motor city mechanic youtube page. I still have that doorman part somewhere in my garage even though i sold the Jeep couple of years ago.

I never did mud cause i hate that crap with passion so only rocks and dirt :), it wasn't that bad just had to be aware that there might be a lot of dirt around the area so i tried to blow it all up with compressed air making sure i had a couple of rags around covering the alternator just in case. Easier to change the filter that way compared to the Hemi.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I don’t use anything special other than the bucket I put underneath to catch the oil. Cleaning the steering rack is not bad afterwards. Don’t overthink to much just place a plastic cover big enough in the ground to prevent any oil spilling and use a container to catch the oil from the pan and filter. If you like beer enjoy 3-4 while doing the job.
Right. I change it and wipe up excess oil. Keeps things shiny lol

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I see you have a 2018 model , you should be fine then as what i'm talking about applies to 2011-2013 for what i see in the Motor city mechanic youtube page. I still have that doorman part somewhere in my garage even though i sold the Jeep couple of years ago.

I never did mud cause i hate that crap with passion so only rocks and dirt :), it wasn't that bad just had to be aware that there might be a lot of dirt around the area so i tried to blow it all up with compressed air making sure i had a couple of rags around covering the alternator just in case. Easier to change the filter that way compared to the Hemi.

Ah, I'm glad they changed it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do. With my filter relocated, its not easy to drink 3-4 beers in 10 minutes but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...
:cheers:

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever figured out a way to spin the filter better after it gets super slippery with oil all over it when removing it lol!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just buy some kitty litter for the floor and GoJo for your hands, arms and arm pits when your done. LOL
Jay

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever figured out a way to spin the filter better after it gets super slippery with oil all over it when removing it lol!!
Lol, just wipe and spin, repeat until your fingers can have enough grip so you can keep rotating the thing until is free from the assembly, grab it good though making sure is not going to slip from your hands and splash your face and eyes with oil. lol is proabably a good idea to wear safety glasses just in case. that's where the beer helps, It gives you confidence so you don't need thats stuff.. i swear my beer never slips from my hands no matter what damn it i call sure grip :)