Tricks when doing an oil change on the 5.7L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never had success with the zip lock bag. once the oil gets on the filter, forget trying to spin it while keeping the bag around it. I suppose if I use a Fram Ultra it might work better, since the Fram has black grippy stuff at the bottom.

As far as the mess goes, Ive tried a form-a-funnel and it helped a little, but if you use the oversize filter its tough to keep the form-a-funnel in place while removing the filter.

I will try the Pig rag suggestion, just drape it over the steering area and try to direct the oil the best I can. The smaller filter seems like I can keep it cleaner, but not sure if I want cleaner or better protection for the engine.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What crafty ideas are you using to catch the oil coming from the oil filter ?
My 2017 ram 1500 will need and oil change soon.
What oil is being used..

I had a 2005 1500 4*4.
ImIa small guy. 5'6". If the truck is on even a small ramp or jack, I can actually sit down Indian style under/inside the front bumper. From there I can easily maneuver a pliable plastic funnel, about 8" to a foot long, wide-mouth funnel, I punch its maw so it's a long flat oval and shimmy it in place then let go and it expands to cover the oil filter. I then just spin the oil filter with a finger until it plops an inch or two down into funnel. Wait a few moments, put a paper towel in the bottom of the funnel, use another on top (cause it's going to tilt as you bring it out), and voila. No drips no mess.

Without a funnel or tray, oil WILL get on either the front drive and or the front cross member, and or the rack (of the rack and pinion). Then it will flow sideways and you'll never get it all and tomorrow they'll be drips in your garage.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Please tell me where you got that set up , I use a old piece of water drain , like the gutters you have near the roof edge, cut it to fit still not easy

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I've done 2 oil changes myself so far (previous ones done by dealer while under warranty) - First change was just a mess, second time I took somebody's advice to cover the steering rack with foil and bag the filter.. still a mess.

I think if you're going to own the truck a while and diy more than a couple changes it's worth the $60 or so that a remote kit costs.
Please tell me where to but it

Last edited by a moderator:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
just changed my oil yesterday. second time on this truck, and second time ive ever done it personally. these rams are so easy to do. but i will second the whole ziploc bag trick not being that great. first go around i spilled quite a bit, as like others said, it gets super slippery and difficult to spin filter. this time around was much better, but a little still dripped down. easy wipe off tho. i may try the cut plastic container trick next time.

my truck is lifted 4" and this makes it soooo incredibly easy. more room underneath, i cam slide a 5 gal pail under the truck and never worry about missing a drop. i see no need for the quick drain adapters. its just so easy. filter in and out is easier as well as i can nearly sit behind the front bumper. aside from dripping some from the filter, its as easy as it can get.

Texasredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Texasredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What oil is being used..
I've got write up on this somewhere but couldn't find it. Here's a few pics of what I went with. Filter is straight up and not much oil gets spilled. I have this set up on two 2018 trucks and zero leaks or issues so far.

Canton 2.jpg

Canton 1.jpg

Canton 5.jpg

Canton 3.jpg

Canton 12.jpg

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2019 Ram classic 1500 5.7...just did my first oil change, penzoil platinum 5w20 every 4000 miles..and what a crappy place to put that filter, just getting the oil wrench
around it was a *****..you kinda have to do a Dr Seuss move with you arm to get up in there... horrible design, but I got it...yes I did the bag trick..meh..it helps but it's still messy...
If the truck is new with 4000 miles why not let the dealer Chang it for free. My new 2019 ram Hemi has two years free oil changes from dealer every 5-k miles. I'm not going to spend any of my money, get dirty, and have to dispose of the old oil when for two years all I have to do is go to the dealer. No brainer, there is no pleasure in doing it yourself and also cost extra money.

Texasredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got write up on this somewhere but couldn't find it. Here's a few pics of what I went with. Filter is straight up and not much oil gets spilled. I have this set up on two 2018 trucks and zero leaks or issues so far.

View attachment 180295

View attachment 180296

View attachment 180297

View attachment 180298

View attachment 180299
What oil is being used..
Forgot to mention I used oil hose from O'rielly auto parts, it's rated over 100 psi or so.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inasmuch as I change oil on customers' cars, I've purchased gray absorbent mats (10 inch by 18 inch) that I place under the filter. Problem solved. I get them at O'Reilly's.

Cbrooks45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jesus, after reading through this, I need to lo look under my hood. Was about to do my first oil change on my Ram and figured it was at the bottom of the motor pointed to the ground like normal. WTF am I am in for?

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've done 2 oil changes myself so far (previous ones done by dealer while under warranty) - First change was just a mess, second time I took somebody's advice to cover the steering rack with foil and bag the filter.. still a mess.

I think if you're going to own the truck a while and diy more than a couple changes it's worth the $60 or so that a remote kit costs.

Preach. I do my own changes in the garage without raising the truck on ramps etc (I can fit under from the front to get at the filter). The bag trick "helps" but I'm still half covered in oil and putting down kitty litter when I'm through, every time. Terrible filter location on these things.

I've got maxcare lifetime, so I ain't changing the filter location :/

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jesus, after reading through this, I need to lo look under my hood. Was about to do my first oil change on my Ram and figured it was at the bottom of the motor pointed to the ground like normal. WTF am I am in for?

The location of the oil filter is directly above the power steering assembly and by the nature of the filter, it retains oil inside it and in the small void directly above it (where the oil flows to/from the block) - so when you remove the filter a half cup or so of oil dumps all over the power steering rack assembly. Also incidentally if you don't have the truck on a lift it's not the absolute most convenient possible place for your arm to reach it; though it's far from the worst I've done.

The guaranteed mess is the biggest complaint. I don't like dirty undercarriages so I've had to spend almost as much time cleaning after an oil change, as the change itself took.

gasman57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
Where would one find a kit like this?

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My mechanic is awesome -I bring in the jugs of oil(penzoil platinum)usually and a quality filter and he does it for $20. -he checks out the undercarriage and I get to inspect it as well. Cant beat an honest independent garage that survives on being honest and actually cares about their customers.