Tricks when doing an oil change on the 5.7L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's brilliant, I never knew something like that existed. I've seen these things but not confident they would actually be of much help.

I guess someone could punch the oil filter with a pick too and be ready with a funnel or something to catch it.

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's brilliant, I never knew something like that existed. I've seen these things but not confident they would actually be of much help.

I guess someone could punch the oil filter with a pick too and be ready with a funnel or something to catch it.

pretty much the same concept as putting a hole in filter, except you put a hose on mine so oil doesnt go all over. use a drill to screw it in quick for no mess.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Jesus, after reading through this, I need to lo look under my hood. Was about to do my first oil change on my Ram and figured it was at the bottom of the motor pointed to the ground like normal. WTF am I am in for?

Let the dealer do the first one as that filter was put on by the Hulk and will try to twist into as you take it off.lol

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jesus, after reading through this, I need to lo look under my hood. Was about to do my first oil change on my Ram and figured it was at the bottom of the motor pointed to the ground like normal. WTF am I am in for?
Opening the hood won't help you see it. The problem is the filter is laying sideways under the passenger side of the motor, it is not standing upright and as stated, it is right above the power steering assembly, so the cup or so of oil that drains out of the filter will drain directly on to the steering assembly.

2bikemike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have 1000miles on mine but I've done plenty of oil changes on many types over the years.
Most all filters in more difficult locations than this hemi. I've used paper towels to protect surfaces below the filters. Sometimes you don't have the ability to use a Ziploc bag but this hemi looks easy. Filter is unobstructed so easy to bag. Cover control arm with foil as has been mentioned, I like that idea, or paper towel to absorb. I have a large sheet of cardboard I put under the car to catch drips and lay on for comfort. The truck has good ground clearance as well. A bonus. I prefer Penzoil 5w-30 ultra premium full synthetic oil as it is made from natural gas not crude, but any good fully synthetic will be best.

2bikemike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have 1000miles on mine but I've done plenty of oil changes on many types over the years.
Most all filters in more difficult locations than this hemi. I've used paper towels to protect surfaces below the filters. Sometimes you don't have the ability to use a Ziploc bag but this hemi looks easy. Filter is unobstructed so easy to bag. Cover control arm with foil as has been mentioned, I like that idea, or paper towel to absorb. I have a large sheet of cardboard I put under the car to catch drips and lay on for comfort. The truck has good ground clearance as well. A bonus.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much extra oil does it take after installing the relocation kit?

melman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel turbo
There is a screw on cap Plastic you can use ,I have seen it online for this ,you put it on after you remove it at the engine ,It's in the dodge forum .Works great not a drop of oil hits the ground

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use amsoil and as soon as it’s broken in will be adding archoil ar9100 the combination is what I use on my Audi and Z06

image.jpg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use amsoil and as soon as it’s broken in will be adding archoil ar9100 the combination is what I use on my Audi and Z06

Not to drift the thread, but you plan to use AR9100 on your non-diesel Hemi? There's really no need if you use a good synth oil to begin with...lots of 5.7 guys use Redline 5W-30 with great success; I'm personally a believer in QSUD in the same weight. My Blackstone UOA confirms it's GTG, plus, I can get it easily at my local Walmart. Combined with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, my Reb's Hemi runs smooth as silk.

TXCOMT

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
View attachment 180382

picked up one of these, havent had a chance to use it. drills into oil filter and drains it.

I need a link! I looked all over yesterday for something like that. I was about to make up a piece of pipe with a sharp tip and a valve on it for hammering in.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Opening the hood won't help you see it. The problem is the filter is laying sideways under the passenger side of the motor, it is not standing upright and as stated, it is right above the power steering assembly, so the cup or so of oil that drains out of the filter will drain directly on to the steering assembly.

My filter is attached vertically. What motor do you have?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just changed my oil for 2nd time, went a year on qsud 0w20 rp filter and 10oz of lubegard, 4850 miles.
This time i did same oil but srt filter and 15oz lubegard. Also used the ziplock bag trick removing the filter! Not a drop fell!!
IMG_20201107_162932_01.jpg