Trouble with my 2003!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boneyard51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 1994,1995, 2001
Engine
4.7 and 5.9
I having a problem with my 2003 Dodge four door 1500 pick up with the 4.7. It runs perfect and then just dies! You have to stop, put it in park then it will restart and run perfect for 100 feet or twenty miles! The it will do it again and may have to start it four times in 1/4 mile! The gauges stay on when it stops, at first, then they drop to nothing! We have replaced the computer and the wire disturb toon box and have cleaned and checked every connection we can find. Had it I several shops...... not help or change! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Edit: 128,000 miles.

Bones

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta be a short somewhere.Maybe TIPM?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It may be your ignition switch

They tend to go bad over time

Do you ever have to wiggle the key, before it catches?

When it seems like its about to die, can you wiggle the key & keep it from stalling?

Are there times that you have to turn the key more than once to get it to start ?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key ?

You may want to watch these videos

This is for electrical issues with the ignition

This is about a sticky key

Good luck

OP
OP
B

Boneyard51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 1994,1995, 2001
Engine
4.7 and 5.9
I just acquired this truck and only drove it about three miles to my shop. But when it dies it dies! Then it starts right back up and runs great until it dies again. It seemed to last longer if I drove it faster....maybe. I started out basing it. I stalled 3or 4 times, then I gassed it and it drove about 1 mike to the shop and idled for a while, no problem! I have cleaned some body grounds. Still working on it! Bones

OP
OP
B

Boneyard51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 1994,1995, 2001
Engine
4.7 and 5.9
I found a box and an old ignition switch in the truck, so I think it has been changed. We started the truck and let it run, in about ten minutes it just shut off like you turned the ignition off! Now it will start and run for a few seconds and die. I restarted it several times and it starts and dies. I won’t be able to work on it again for a day or two. I cleaned some grounds and removed the ignition wires from the switch to inspect, the looked good. Hooked it back up. Now I seem to have a change in the problem. Help!

Bones

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could be the switch as stated. Best way to check is get a volt meter on it and watch the screen. If the power seems to cut just before engine dies, that is probably the culprit. You could just replace with OEM unit and either fix the problem or just eliminate one possibility if stalling persists after replacement.

HemiEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 03 4.7 with a 5 speed started doing something similar. Starts up and idles rough then smooths out. While driving and taking my foot off the gas it just randomly dies. It caused me more than one scare on my drives recently as it died while turning and the power steering of course goes dead. It then becomes a handful.
Going back to my trouble shooting days, this started happening immediately after intstalling a new battery.
Over in one of the other threads they were talking about teaching the Throttle body position on the Hemi and Diesel. I am going to try that.
My Ram only has 73 k on the clock and has been trouble free to this point.

HemiEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I am very happy to report a trouble free day of driving. Before leaving this morning I disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnected it. My intention was for the ECM to relearn the TPS. Also, when filling up last week I put a full can of seafoam in the tank.