Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with my 2003!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Boneyard51, May 5, 2021 at 1:01 AM.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2003, 1994,1995, 2001
    Engine:
    4.7 and 5.9
    I having a problem with my 2003 Dodge four door 1500 pick up with the 4.7. It runs perfect and then just dies! You have to stop, put it in park then it will restart and run perfect for 100 feet or twenty miles! The it will do it again and may have to start it four times in 1/4 mile! The gauges stay on when it stops, at first, then they drop to nothing! We have replaced the computer and the wire disturb toon box and have cleaned and checked every connection we can find. Had it I several shops...... not help or change! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Edit: 128,000 miles.

Bones

2. kevkev

kevkev Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Gotta be a short somewhere.Maybe TIPM?

3. GTyankee

GTyankee Senior Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 ecodiesel
    It may be your ignition switch

They tend to go bad over time

Do you ever have to wiggle the key, before it catches?

When it seems like its about to die, can you wiggle the key & keep it from stalling?

Are there times that you have to turn the key more than once to get it to start ?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key ?

You may want to watch these videos

This is for electrical issues with the ignition

This is about a sticky key

Good luck

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2003, 1994,1995, 2001
    Engine:
    4.7 and 5.9
    I just acquired this truck and only drove it about three miles to my shop. But when it dies it dies! Then it starts right back up and runs great until it dies again. It seemed to last longer if I drove it faster....maybe. I started out basing it. I stalled 3or 4 times, then I gassed it and it drove about 1 mike to the shop and idled for a while, no problem! I have cleaned some body grounds. Still working on it! Bones

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2003, 1994,1995, 2001
    Engine:
    4.7 and 5.9
    I found a box and an old ignition switch in the truck, so I think it has been changed. We started the truck and let it run, in about ten minutes it just shut off like you turned the ignition off! Now it will start and run for a few seconds and die. I restarted it several times and it starts and dies. I won’t be able to work on it again for a day or two. I cleaned some grounds and removed the ignition wires from the switch to inspect, the looked good. Hooked it back up. Now I seem to have a change in the problem. Help!

Bones