truck acting up on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
Hey guys, it seems like my truck is wanting to try to start nickel and diming me. I had Chris Snyder do a head gasket and some head work last week, which he did an awesome job with. Anyway, yesterday i went to go eat lunch and when i came back out about 40 or 45 min later and got in my truck to start it, it started like normal, within about 1 or 2 cranks, however when it fired it didnt ramp the RPM up like usual and it idled kinda low and "rough" (could just be from the low RPM) but anyway, it died and i restarted it and it stared like normal.

Did the same thing again last night after about a 15 min shut down. Seems like it only does it after a full warm up of engine and a short shut down time. Wont do it if i shut down and start right back up, wont do it if it sits over night.

Any ideas guys?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Personally sound like a air leak issues and being you might have the nose down in some cases and nose up in others. Which nose down it will start every time where nose up it might be drawing air in.

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
well i checked all lines, tightened what was loose and its still doing it....but its not doing the common VP dying deal where its long crank times before fire.....it cranks normally and fires normally, just doesnt hold idle and stalls within .5-1 sec, instantly re crank, and starts and fires normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio