Truck bed - paint issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBetty2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. Got my 2017 Ram 1500 Black Express about 3 weeks ago. Had it for a week and took it back for the dealership to fix a few scratches and I also noticed some bumps in the paint of the truck bed. Now, I know it's the truck bed but no other truck on the lot had this issue. Dealership claims they have never seen something like this. They submitted 2 claims for a new truck bed to Chrysler and both were denied (a new bed seems a bit outrageous to me). My main concern is corrosion so we agreed to split a spray-in liner.

Here is a pic attached of one of the areas of the bed with bumps in the paint. There were about 6 spots total. Am I being too picky here? The service manager is trying to tell me this is from welds but that is a large area to be all from a weld. Plus, aren't trucks beds bolted onto the chassis?

Attachments

• RAM bed.jpg
    RAM bed.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 66

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is definitely a horrible paint job. If you had planned to do a spray liner anyway just have them do it for free, but make them give you a reasonable warranty period to ensure they do it right.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is definitely a horrible paint job. If you had planned to do a spray liner anyway just have them do it for free, but make them give you a reasonable warranty period to ensure they do it right.

x2. i wouldnt sweat the crappy paint in the bed, but i would definitely be using it for leverage on a free/heavily discounted line-x spray in.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is not a paint defect. This is a train transportation defect. The vehicle above your truck leaked something on it. Some soft of fluid, my guess brake fluid..

I have a buddy who is a tech and he said some cars arrive are just covered in gear oil etc.. I'll see if I can find a few pictures he had sent me of a Dodge Ram a years ago - dealer discounted the truck big time due to the damage.

OP
OP
B

BlackBetty2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I contacted Chrysler and they see no claims in their system for my vehicle. However, the customer service rep did say that this does not mean a claim or claims were not submitted. I feel as though this is a canned response as to not throw the dealership under the bus. My next conversation with the service mgr should be interesting. All in all a frustrating experience so far.

Thanks for the replies folks.