truck bed scratched up, cheap way to prevent rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
So I just bought a 2016 ram 1500 and the bed was pretty scratched up, to the point I can see white primer under the blue paint. There is also a drop in bedliner in place. I want to prevent the bed from rusting, and I know I can get line-x installed for about $500. I`m just wondering if there is any cheaper ways to fix it? I don`t mind the drop in bedliner, so if I can do something do fix the bed myself then I can keep the bedliner.

Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Having RhinoLiner or Line-X is probably the easiest route to keep the bed from rusting. Several people on this forum have used Do-it-yourself bedliners with good luck but preparation of the bed is key.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
IMO for most people it’s just an appearance issue. I say that because I’ve spent my life around farmers, ranchers, and construction guys who mostly scratched the hell out of their beds, abused the truck for 15-20 years, then scrapped it when it became too expensive to maintain. Never saw a bed rust out unless it was someone handling corrosive like fertilizer. Nobody used bed liner.

Full disclosure, I’ve got Linex. I’ve become obsessed with scratches in the bed just like everyone else. :eek:

if you’re going to use the drop in, you could paint under it with your choice to save $$$. Rustoleum, Raptor liner... any DIY coating. If you’re going to pay someone, just get Linex.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Since your might just keep the drop in liner you could always just apply a few coats of primer on top on the scratches to give it some more layers and the liner will hide it. And if you do end up doing a spray in liner, the only thing you have to do is sand it smooth and blend the lines. Good to go either way

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Yeah I`m still debating on doing some DIY liner vs just get the line-x...

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go buy a big tub of thick grease.

Remove the plastic bed liner and cover the entire bed with a nice layer and then re-install the plastic bed liner. It won't rust ever.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
DupliColor Bed Armor

I've used this on the frame of my travel trailer and it has held up pretty good. I cleaned up the frame and hit the rust with a wire brush and used the spray can to coat the frame. It is made for truck beds for a DIY application.

I used three cans to coat the frame and the A-frame.

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/bed-armor-truck-bed-coating/