Truck died, engine codes won't clear even after parts replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Immer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been a member of the formum for a while but never posted, this is my first. My truck, I've had for about 2 years now, is a 1998 1500 SLT laramie short bed with a 5.9 L and automatic, 180k on it. 5 days ago it died while driving just lost all power I coasted to the side and got a tow home, I replaced the fuel pump having had the same thing happen to me before in other trucks, and that being the problem. It took a lot of cranking to get it going but it did start I turned it off and it started up again I drove 18 miles on my way to work in about four miles before I got to work it dies the same situation but this time I can hear the fuel pump pumping and I've got pressure at to the rails. I've always got the check engine light on because of a another problem but I did not scan it the first time it died, but this time I plugged in my scanner(Autel AL519) and came up with five codes. I replaced everything that's was possibly bad and three codes erased the two codes that stayed are the P0505 IAC system and P0122 TPS (switch A circuit low) so I replaced them again and it still says they're bad. So now I'm figuring it's in the circuitry which is what my scanner said was the other choice or could it be the PCM. Could there be another sensor causing something and not showing up on the scanner? Does every sensor go back and throw a code if they go bad so that I should I be able to find it. I'm desperate here I've lost three days of work and it cost me 2 tows from a tow truck .

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been a member of the formum for a while but never posted, this is my first. My truck, I've had for about 2 years now, is a 1998 1500 SLT laramie short bed with a 5.9 L and automatic, 180k on it. 5 days ago it died while driving just lost all power I coasted to the side and got a tow home, I replaced the fuel pump having had the same thing happen to me before in other trucks, and that being the problem. It took a lot of cranking to get it going but it did start I turned it off and it started up again I drove 18 miles on my way to work in about four miles before I got to work it dies the same situation but this time I can hear the fuel pump pumping and I've got pressure at to the rails. I've always got the check engine light on because of a another problem but I did not scan it the first time it died, but this time I plugged in my scanner(Autel AL519) and came up with five codes. I replaced everything that's was possibly bad and three codes erased the two codes that stayed are the P0505 IAC system and P0122 TPS (switch A circuit low) so I replaced them again and it still says they're bad. So now I'm figuring it's in the circuitry which is what my scanner said was the other choice or could it be the PCM. Could there be another sensor causing something and not showing up on the scanner? Does every sensor go back and throw a code if they go bad so that I should I be able to find it. I'm desperate here I've lost three days of work and it cost me 2 tows from a tow truck .
Its a wiring issue dude. That is the only time, in my experience, that a code won't clear out. Check the wiring because they are notorious for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Check the wiring running to the throttle body and make sure they are clean and dont show obvious signs of wear. You can take a DMM and check the wire continuity and resistance between the PCM plug and the plug to the sensor.

I'd say start there because its cheap and easy. Then if that doesnt show anything, check the plugs to make sure they are clear of corrosion.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Immer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a wiring issue dude. That is the only time, in my experience, that a code won't clear out. Check the wiring because they are notorious for it.

Any idea where to start would be helpful! will it be the wires specific to Those sensors that I should be looking for or some others to the PCM I've only found one open or frayed wire and it's at the sensor in front of the throttle body it's the ground (purple and white I think it was.)

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Any idea where to start would be helpful! will it be the wires specific to Those sensors that I should be looking for or some others to the PCM I've only found one open or frayed wire and it's at the sensor in front of the throttle body it's the ground (purple and white I think it was.)
Ground wires are super important, but yes it'll be specific to those sensors.