Truck has been sitting - New engine worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WardRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7. It has been sitting for a bit over 2 years after being told it needed a new engine and I could not afford it at the time. It has 167K on that engine. Looking at other used trucks right now, prices make me choke but I could maybe afford the new engine vs a used truck - I think. My question is, is it better to replace the engine in it or am I going to run into issues since it has been sitting for so long. I know I should not start it right now but I don't know if it would be worth fixing this truck back up to drive or just get rid of it and try to buy another used one for these outlandish prices lately. Any thoughts or advice?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you know why it needs a new engine? What is wrong with the old one? Did everything work OK when it was parked? Was it stored inside, or outside.

I don't think two years is so long as it will be junk. Lots of classic cars sit that long, and are OK. Sitting outside isn't good, mostly because of damage from critters.

I would be tempted to start it up, see what it sounds like. Maybe an oil change if you want to invest that, but that is all I would do before starting it. Then you can decide.

If the rest of the truck is OK, it may be worth finding an engine from a wreck, could get lots of service out of it with a minimal investment. (in comparison to replacing it).

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's a tough decision I'm sure. Just some food for thought here. Wholesale prices for used vehicles is falling fast right now due to the inflation causing loan rate hikes. So far that hasn't translated to cheaper prices on the lots, but dealers will eventually be forced to lower prices to move their vehicles. I said all that to say this. Unless you need the truck immediately, prices should be getting back to normal in the future. So, wait a bit if you decide to buy a truck. Good luck on your decision.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Have you tried to trade it in like it sits. You might be suprised on how much you will get. Just tell them it was parked 2 years ago and you do not feel comfortable putting it back on the road.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried to trade it in like it sits. You might be suprised on how much you will get. Just tell them it was parked 2 years ago and you do not feel comfortable putting it back on the road.
They would literally give him $500 for a non running truck i know lots of people who work at dealerships. Personally if the truck is in good shape other wise throw a used motor in it and be on your way 3rd gen hemi motors are all over not hard to get. Also what was even wrong with the motor that is in it now?

OP
OP
W

WardRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The engine starting knocking and missing. When it would go under or over 55 it would be okay but go over that and it would shake and sometimes you would press down on the gas pedal, and nothing would happen. Almost like it had nothing behind it to go or the gas line wasn’t pushing gas to the engine. So I took it to two different places to have it looked at and spent some change doing that for sure and both told me the same thing. They told me that hemi‘s go out about this time or it’s not uncommon and that my best option would be to drop a new engine in it. The truck does that have some rust under it too. The tire underneath is rusted so that you can’t drop it if you need a spare although I was told they could probably fix that and when I had new brakes put on, it was the same thing. So I guess some of the rust had affected underneath the truck although I was told that it could all be fixed, but I didn’t get a cost on it.

OP
OP
W

WardRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The engine starting knocking and missing. When it would go under or over 55 it would be okay but go over that and it would shake and sometimes you would press down on the gas pedal, and nothing would happen. Almost like it had nothing behind it to go or the gas line wasn’t pushing gas to the engine. So I took it to two different places to have it looked at and spent some change doing that for sure and both told me the same thing. They told me that hemi‘s go out about this time or it’s not uncommon and that my best option would be to drop a new engine in it. The truck does that have some rust under it too. The tire underneath is rusted so that you can’t drop it if you need a spare although I was told they could probably fix that and when I had new brakes put on, it was the same thing. So I guess some of the rust had affected underneath the truck although I was told that it could all be fixed, but I didn’t get a cost on it. Sadly, I bought it this way and I think I may be got 15,000 miles out of it before the engine started doing this. So now me and years’s trucks ain’t friends. I also can’t afford a new one.

Mperry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both places told you it needed an engine? To me, at least what’s wrote on here, the engine may not be the issue. Do you have any mechanic friends or someone you trust? I’m definitely not a mechanic but it sounds like something else maybe wrong. ‍♂️

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fact that they said a hemi is common to go bad at the low mileage of 167k is a red flag right there Lol. I would see if you could get her fired up and post a vid of it running I wouldnt write the motor off yet. As for the gas you will be fine running it maybe mix some fresh gas in i have started trucks sitting 5 yrs plus if it damages something motor is suppose to be shot any ways wont matter.

Treespiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A bad coil or even a cam sensor, could be bunch of different things or just one. Unless it has a rod hanging out the side of the block don't give up hope. Check the fuse block this could actually be an easy fix. Get a battery charger or new battery on it and run a scan.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Step 1
As it sits, what does the sheet metal look like,
If you were looking for a used vehicle & never saw the vehicle before, would you consider buying it, if it started ?

Step 2
Drop the gas tank & dump the gas, buy some kerosene, or something similar to swish around to get the crap out of it.
( I would pull the fuel pump & dump its contents out ,
There is no way that untreated Corn Gas can sit for 2 years & be expected to run an engine smoothly )

Step 3
You need a working battery
Pull the Spark Plugs
Spray a few Blasts of WD-40 in every spark plug hole, you want a mist in the cylinders, WD-40 is very flammable, (i use it instead of Starter Fluid).

Step 4 is your choice ..
Think about changing the oil filter, fill it with enough fresh oil so that it is almost full to the point of almost spilling out as you thread it back into place.

Step 5
With the Spark Plugs still removed
Test to see if the engine rotates for a second or two, do that once or twice, then spin the engine over for about 10 - 15 seconds.

Step 6
Replace the spark plugs

Now you are ready for gas, at least 7 gallons & a partial bottle of

STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer - Keeps Ethanol Fuel Fresh For Up To Two Years​

Now borrow a descent scan tool & start trouble shooting

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Do Everything GTyankee said, in that order.

Would like to add, loosen the exhaust ahead of the catalytic convertor. Roll your windows down and run teh truck, once it is ready to run. I;e seen clogged cats cause the exact same issue and, as time & miles go on, got to the point the vehicle would only do 20mph or less.

170K Miles, without ticking sounds I would not give up on this engine. If truck is something that you would not be ashamed to drive and this motor is toast, slap a used junkyard one in.

Once truck is able to start and motor issue is disagnosed, then start inspecting Drive Shaft Joints, Front End, SHocks, brakes, etc. LItle elbow grease and soem sweat taes care of alto of things.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fact that they said a hemi is common to go bad at the low mileage of 167k is a red flag right there Lol. I would see if you could get her fired up and post a vid of it running I wouldnt write the motor off yet. As for the gas you will be fine running it maybe mix some fresh gas in i have started trucks sitting 5 yrs plus if it damages something motor is suppose to be shot any ways wont matter.
I agree with this. I dont know the two placed you brought it to but more than likely just didn't want to get involved with the truck for whatever reason and blew it off by saying you need an engine. I completely understand money is tight but you didn't do yourself any favors by letting it sit for 2 years because of rust and rot. You won't get much for it as a trade so I would try to get it started again and like mentioned post a video of what the truck is doing. Throw a new battery in it and try to fire it up. See what happens and go from there. If it starts and runs I would inspect the brake lines before you try to drive it then maybe find a different shop to take it to

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963