Truck have troubles starting after two day of no use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I start my truck after two days of no use it feels like it is about to die on me. Basically what happens first two seconds the RPM are low. What might be the problem? My truck just hit 60,000

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I start my truck after two days of no use it feels like it is about to die on me. Basically what happens first two seconds the RPM are low. What might be the problem? My truck just hit 60,000
Possibly dirty throttle body or dirty injectors. Seems like vehicles that have these issues need to warm up a bit before driving or they might stall out. What RPM does it idle at, might be a bit too low and dirty TB or injectors just make it worse. Just a few suggestions, I'm sure others will chime in!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Need more info. Model year and engine?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Could be beginning stages of your battery dying

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 ram 1500 5.9 hemi. It happens right away when I turn my key. It goes to about 200-400 rpm and shakes the truck for a second.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Concurr,. Hes lucky. My newer cars give no warning. My old jeepa you get weeks if warning.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What stages are there in a battery? Once the truck is running, the alternator takes over. Which both have nothing to do with the OP truck's symptoms.

Yup, older cars a bad alternator the car would eventually stop running. That's cause the battery died too; nothing to charge the battery. Back then once the car was running, you could remove the battery. As long as it's running, I'll keep going... We don't do that to today's cars.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What stages are there in a battery? Once the truck is running, the alternator takes over. Which both have nothing to do with the OP truck's symptoms.

Yup, older cars a bad alternator the car would eventually stop running. That's cause the battery died too; nothing to charge the battery. Back then once the car was running, you could remove the battery. As long as it's running, I'll keep going... We don't do that to today's cars.

I guess I should have worded it as
parasitic draw in his electrical system causing the modules to read improper voltage and cause low idle at start up when the alternator takes over and evens everything out.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I guess I should have worded it as
parasitic draw in his electrical system causing the modules to read improper voltage and cause low idle at start up when the alternator takes over and evens everything out.
Ok, sure good idea to possible causes. The truck's low rpms is more performance; engine related. Yes, that too is probably electronic, but not electrical. As already stated, bad sensor, throttle body etc. I'd not point to the batt or alt.

I'm a huge (old guy) fan of letting cars warm up before moving. Start the truck and wait for at least 2 or so mins before driving. Though many of us just start and get moving.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys saying to let it warm up. I have remote starter and use it once a day so that should not be a problem. It happens right after I turn they key. It makes sense it's a sticky throttle body but that fast after only 60,000 miles? 75% of them are highway miles. Can it be something with gas pump?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
You guys saying to let it warm up. I have remote starter and use it once a day so that should not be a problem. It happens right after I turn they key. It makes sense it's a sticky throttle body but that fast after only 60,000 miles? 75% of them are highway miles. Can it be something with gas pump?

If you don’t have an oil catch can it’s sucking in a lot of oil vapors. Pop off your intake and look at the throttle body plate. Get some throttle body cleaner and clean it. It gets pretty gummed up

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If you don’t have an oil catch can it’s sucking in a lot of oil vapors. Pop off your intake and look at the throttle body plate. Get some throttle body cleaner and clean it. It gets pretty gummed up
I'll add to this... I'm too liking the catch can. I too like Seafoam products. No, I don't have proof if it helps or not. Annually, I use a bottle in all my vehicles gas tanks. You can YouTube how to use this, not just in your tank. Using the Seafoam, I do a vacuum cleaning every couple of years.

For my Ecodiesel, I use HotShot's Diesel Extreme - every 4 or so fill ups. Using this has, eliminated a couple of codes. One is the diesel particulate filter code... I feel I get a slight increase in performance... Again no proof.

I'd also suggest, getting the truck warmed up and hit the highway. Give her a good hard drive... , really jump on her, fast start, hard passing gear run etc. Clean the gunk and waking it all up.

Lastly, not knowing the year. It might be throttle position sensor. I assume you don't have and fault codes.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It happened again this morning but the RPMs went to 1000 dropped down to about 200-300 and went straight up to 1800-2000 for a second and then slowly dropped. I will check and clean the throttle body and see if this helps. I use seafoam in my small engine stuff.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found this video and this is exactly what happens to mine look at 2:35