Truck Jerking Left Randomly in Wet Conditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 Ram 1500 sport has recently had a tendency of jerking left at random times, only when its Rainy or Snowy. When the road conditions are dry, this issue doesn't occur. Its almost as if a gust of wind is throwing the truck into the other lane. The truck has fairly new tires and has had a recent alignment and I'm certain this is not hydroplaning. The only thing I can think of, is it like traction control is kicking in for a split second. I do have a Rough Country 3" lift and 35/12.50 R20 tires but I have never had any issues like this after owning this truck for 5 years. I took it to my mechanic and he said everything looked good.

Has anyone experienced this? I keep reading that it could be a wheel bearing but this still doesn't explain why it only happens in wet conditions.

Last edited:

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Does the ABS feel like its kicking in when this happens? Power steering fluid levels look okay? I would double check for any play in your front ball joints by jacking the front of the truck up and grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 and give it a good wiggle. if any movement, that might be your problem.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2x on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Quadruple-check them. Also check wheel bearings, esp on that tire side. Bigger tires put greater wear on suspension and wheel bearings. Plus just normal wear and tear on a 2012...

Let us know what it is.

OP
OP
B

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the ABS feel like its kicking in when this happens? Power steering fluid levels look okay? I would double check for any play in your front ball joints by jacking the front of the truck up and grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 and give it a good wiggle. if any movement, that might be your problem.
I will check. The weird thing it in dry conditions this never happens.

OP
OP
B

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would assume it’s something with the braking system. I have a video but can’t seem to post it.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would assume it’s something with the braking system. I have a video but can’t seem to post it.
Wheel speed sensor failing possibly. Mine had a front right wheel sensor fail and it would steer right sometimes until I had the abs light and cel pop up. Videos are easier to post on YouTube then post the link on here

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I had a bent front dust shield that created a similar problem, I would suggest you check the wheel sensor and see if something is obstructing or debris has accumulated there nay be a electrical resistance test that can be preformed, check the connector and wire loom

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
all of those reasons sound reasonable

but i have to wonder if your Cruise Control is engaged when it happens

OP
OP
B

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you able to reproduce the symptom reliably enough to try some tests, such as disabling ABS and see if it disappears? Or is it sporadic and random?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Y6SEFEWHSD0.

I put the video of this happening recently right after some rainy weather. No Cruise control and all of my steering joints have been checked and appear to have no issues. The truck is perfectly aligned because when the weather is dry it drives perfectly straight.

OP
OP
B

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wheel speed sensor failing possibly. Mine had a front right wheel sensor fail and it would steer right sometimes until I had the abs light and cel pop up. Videos are easier to post on YouTube then post the link on here
I Posted the video Link at the end of this thread. No ABS light so far.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I did not see where you may have said it, and I'm also assuming that all reading this are thinking that this happens/occurs during a brake application. If brake application is what sets it off, then something to remember is if a caliper is "sticking" it will usually pull to the side of the one "not" sticking when brake is applied, because that one is free to properly operate, and the other caliper -the stuck one. But the stuck/dragging does not usually come and go - stuck is STUCK. There is also usually excess heat from the bad caliper side of the vehicle as that caliper does not fully release the pads. Because that brake is sticking so the piston(s) (depending how many pistons the caliper has). Calipers can come with-usually- 1, 2, or 4. It could also come from the rear- although that is rare. My guess without driving or looking at it goes to a worn suspension part, as has been said already. When the brake is applied wheel assembly moves/or steers. As an example, customers came in quite often saying my cars pulls a little to the right but when I touch the brakes it goes left. Just clarify as it will help us help you.

OP
OP
B

Blake Siebert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not see where you may have said it, and I'm also assuming that all reading this are thinking that this happens/occurs during a brake application. If brake application is what sets it off, then something to remember is if a caliper is "sticking" it will usually pull to the side of the one "not" sticking when brake is applied, because that one is free to properly operate, and the other caliper -the stuck one. But the stuck/dragging does not usually come and go - stuck is STUCK. There is also usually excess heat from the bad caliper side of the vehicle as that caliper does not fully release the pads. Because that brake is sticking so the piston(s) (depending how many pistons the caliper has). Calipers can come with-usually- 1, 2, or 4. It could also come from the rear- although that is rare. My guess without driving or looking at it goes to a worn suspension part, as has been said already. When the brake is applied wheel assembly moves/or steers. As an example, customers came in quite often saying my cars pulls a little to the right but when I touch the brakes it goes left. Just clarify as it will help us help you.
It does not happen when braking or using cruise control. Also when I drive it it feels very responsive as normal on steering and suspension on dry conditions. No noises as well while driving. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything other than recommending $2,500 worth of ball joints and parts without a guarantee it'll fix it. I am doubtful of all of their recommendations.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We regret to see that you're having these concerns with your truck. If you're thinking of having this looked at by your dealer, let us know. We're available via direct message and can help with this process.

Callie
Ram Cares

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
We regret to see that you're having these concerns with your truck. If you're thinking of having this looked at by your dealer, let us know. We're available via direct message and can help with this process.

Callie
Ram Cares
If you would've read the OP's post from yesterday you would've seen that he did take it to his local dealer and they quoted him $2500 for repairs that they wouldn't say would fix it for sure. Not a lot of confidence there.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I am now baffled! let me see if I get this description correct. On a dry day truck is 100% normal: NO PULL with or without braking BUT after (only after or also while raining or after you have driven a bit (?) on wet roads) the truck will now pull to one side and always the same side - left. I do not see how a speed sensor could do this (although electric "stuff" does strange things). A speed sensors only "job " is to tell the computers the RPM of the wheel that that sensor is looking at. Computers use this to tell the ABS what is happening, Some vehicles use this as a (micky mouse TPMS system.It could have 10psi of air in it - it does not care it relays info ( some cars use speed sensor info to tell you your tire needs are example three tires going 795RPM one tire doing 850RPM. It can see the steering wheel is not in a turn - from steering gear input so tire could be low on air (smaller dia, spins faster). ABS would probably want a bigger difference in wheel speed before it would start to send commands to release brake pressure. One tire falling from the 795 PRM quickly to maybe a 400RPM or so and it can see brakes are applied then it might release pressure from that tires brake. These and very oversimplified stories. BUT take it out a a perfectly dry day. Verify all is "normal", take the garden hose - and with no pressure- so you can control what the water gets wet, hose the back of the wheel area, then ABS module, then ??? And take it back out. If you wet a specific area and that causes the symptom it will help to narrow it down. It also does not seem ball joints movement would be affected by water. Have a buddy run along side at five or so MPH ( so they can keep up of course) looking at the wheel on one side - toot the horn so they know you are about to stab the brakes- then the same on the other side after. They should not see the wheel assembly move around in the wheel well. Ball joint and/or control arm would have to move a bit to change Caster enough to cause a pull. And I also do not see how wet roads would cause this. I'm guessing electrical not mechanical. To have a tech or too doing this at ? $ per hour would cost you a bit. When you are playing darts it is helpful if you start by throwing them at least at the right (correct) dart board. Once you narrow it down we might be able to help. Put I at least do not -from here- know which dart board to even throw at. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, please do not read it that way. Just some thoughts that mite help solve the problem. Usually things like this wind up being simply to fix. You just need to narrow it down more. Just popped into my old brain. what type of power steering assist do you have? Could moisture been effecting it?

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possibly the electric steering is getting wet inside where all the voodoo goes on. I have read of this happening, causing steering problems. Or maybe the electrical connection itself.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Speed sensor can trigger random things like that. Especially if the left front slightly brakes on and off.