Truck leaning towards rear driver side after Bilstein 5100 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I gathered from his original post, he only leveled the truck up front and changed shocks out back.... as in still has stock springs out back.

My guess is the truck still has the same lean it always did, he just didnt realize it until he took a tape measure to it.
My bad. I was thinking he had done Bisltein coil springs in the back :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I gathered from his original post, he only leveled the truck up front and changed shocks out back.... as in still has stock springs out back.

My guess is the truck still has the same lean it always did, he just didnt realize it until he took a tape measure to it.
I never measured mine stock so i don't know if i had the lean or not.

Edited: thinking about it yes, i must have had a lean on the driver rear and possibly driver front because i'm correcting for it with my King Coillovers. I have 11 open threads on the driver side, and 10 open threads in the passenger side. Everytime i've adjusted them i've kept that difference. They came with that minor difference as well from Kings. Will make sense because fuel tank is on the driver side, so that's a lot of weight back there when the tank is full, and you put the driver in place.
Every full turn in the 2.5 CO's = 0.2" lift. That small correction in the front driver pushes the rear passenger down so the truck is fairly even front and rear. My Icon springs doesn't have any correction like the factory. From what i remember reading we have one factory spring that is shorter than the other in the back. I just threw the stockers in the garbage so quick i never measured them :) But also from reading, Bilstein springs follow that factory approach. Icons do not, I think Eibachs do not and many other springs do not.

I know @hodge-xj ended up with a little lean after he did his Bistein 1" rear coils and he corrected it with a trim spacer from a JK, Hodge ?

I have the 26 gallon fuel tank, Hodge has a Diesel 1500 so maybe their tanks weight more ? OP what fuel tank do you have ?

I think just adding a small trim will correct that lean but it's weird the OP has indicated his front is even while only the rear driver is lower on the driver side. typically when you have a lean issue in one corner the oposite corner will respond in the opposite way. in this case if the rear driver is lower, i'd expect the front passenger corner to be a little higher and you can add a trim spacer on the side that makes the most sense. adding a 1/2" spacer in the rear driver will correct the lean but will also push the front passenger a little low.

Another thing to try is simply use and adjustable sway bar link on the rear passenger for example and make that side shorter, or do the driver longer and see what happens. Jeep little tricks :)

Last edited:

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had 2008, and 2014. Now 2019. All leaned. But I think the 2019 is less.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I never measured mine stock so i don't know if i had the lean or not.

Edited: thinking about it yes, i must have had a lean on the driver rear and possibly driver front because i'm correcting for it with my King Coillovers. I have 11 open threads on the driver side, and 10 open threads in the passenger side. Everytime i've adjusted them i've kept that difference. They came with that minor difference as well from Kings. Will make sense because fuel tank is on the driver side, so that's a lot of weight back there when the tank is full, and you put the driver in place.
Every full turn in the 2.5 CO's = 0.2" lift. That small correction in the front driver pushes the rear passenger down so the truck is fairly even front and rear. My Icon springs doesn't have any correction like the factory. From what i remember reading we have one factory spring that is shorter than the other in the back. I just threw the stockers in the garbage so quick i never measured them :) But also from reading, Bilstein springs follow that factory approach. Icons do not, I think Eibachs do not and many other springs do not.

I know @hodge-xj ended up with a little lean after he did his Bistein 1" rear coils and he corrected it with a trim spacer from a JK, Hodge ?

I have the 26 gallon fuel tank, Hodge has a Diesel 1500 so maybe their tanks weight more ? OP what fuel tank do you have ?

I think just adding a small trim will correct that lean but it's weird the OP has indicated his front is even while only the rear driver is lower on the driver side. typically when you have a lean issue in one corner the oposite corner will respond in the opposite way. in this case if the rear driver is lower, i'd expect the front passenger corner to be a little higher and you can add a trim spacer on the side that makes the most sense. adding a 1/2" spacer in the rear driver will correct the lean but will also push the front passenger a little low.

Another thing to try is simply use and adjustable sway bar link on the rear passenger for example and make that side shorter, or do the driver longer and see what happens. Jeep little tricks :)
So I'm a little late on my reply so hope it helps. Seems these trucks all pretty much lean. How much is a truck to truck variable. For me it was a 1/2" minimum all the time, which just bothered me. I have bilstein rear coils, daystar 1" spacers and I added a 1/2" spacer to the drivers side. It was a teraflex Jeep JK trim spacer. The middle is not quite large enough to sit over the center of the bottom coil mount so I had to trim the spacer. It was like 10$ for the spacer so it was worth a shot and it worked awesome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hbrichman

Hbrichman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry, haven’t checked back in on this. Was out of town of vacation. It seems the lean is a bit better, maybe the shocks needed time to settle? Im not sure. And yes, only the front was lifted with the Bilsteins. I bought .75 coil spacers for the rear but never ended up using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45