Truck no more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I'm a UPS Driver. Have been for 35 years.

You NEVER swerve for any critter.

And when someone crashes because they claim to have swerved for a critter, lots of big red flags go up.
It’s hard. I tell my wife around where we’ve always lived. Only thing you need to swerve for is a person or a horse. Everything else it’s straight on and sorry bout ya. But that’s easier said than done

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the dog is on the road, in your path, you hit the dog. The dog’s owner is then liable for any damage to your vehicle.

There are people, right now thinking, “No big deal, the insurance company will pay for it.”
But ultimately, the customers will pay for it.

I see 8-10 vehicles off I64 a year. They smash into trees, embankments, guard rails. Usually a cell phone is involved.

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
CG2742

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Naw I rather not kill a dog. Truck is just dollars and insurance. Hitting deer doing 60-70 is different going that fast. I drove 18 wheelers for a while and have drove straight through things, as you can’t make major corrections in a big truck. I was going 30, sun in eyes, just swerved. It’s a wide road but I was closer to curb than I thought. Not sure about red flags. Never had accident before.

Last edited:

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
not sure i could do a straight on collision unless I had next to zero notice. I've spent so many years on 4 and 2 wheels doing swerving to avoid situations I think its too deeply ingrained.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
First off, glad all is ok.
Sorry to see that happen to your truck...and i agree. Why not look for a 19 or 20 classic if you like that body style?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Years ago, early morning drive to work, kids and wife in the van (had a Honda Odyssey at the time), driving east with the sun just starting to break the horizon. There was another car, about 1/8mile ahead of me. There was also a pony that had gotten loose. The pony tried to cross the road, and the car in front of me, clipped the pony with his driver side mirror. The pony fell down, and was laying in the center of my lane.
Because of the time of day, the pony was concealed from my view by the shadows caused by the rise/fall of the road.

I did not see the pony until we were on top of it. The road was a narrow two lane, and we were in an area with ditches and houses on both sides, so I had nowhere to swerve to. I hit the brakes, and was able to get slowed down a little, bit we hit and went completely up and over the pony.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get to, is that afterwards, I was talking to my insurance agent, and was informed that had I swerved and hit something else (house, telephone pole, fence, etc...) it would have been my fault and not covered by my insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valkyrie0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn CC
Engine
My young cousin swerved to miss a dog on a 2 lane country road back in the late 80s. She suffers from permanent brain damage and partial paralysis from the collision with a huge tree in a front yard. Should have hit the dog!

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My young cousin swerved to miss a dog on a 2 lane country road back in the late 80s. She suffers from permanent brain damage and partial paralysis from the collision with a huge tree in a front yard. Should have hit the dog!

We love animals too but I told all my kids when I was teaching them to drive to just hit them and no swerving. I cannot replace my kids.

FRED Pirelli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.1 Hemi
Years ago, early morning drive to work, kids and wife in the van (had a Honda Odyssey at the time), driving east with the sun just starting to break the horizon. There was another car, about 1/8mile ahead of me. There was also a pony that had gotten loose. The pony tried to cross the road, and the car in front of me, clipped the pony with his driver side mirror. The pony fell down, and was laying in the center of my lane.
Because of the time of day, the pony was concealed from my view by the shadows caused by the rise/fall of the road.

I did not see the pony until we were on top of it. The road was a narrow two lane, and we were in an area with ditches and houses on both sides, so I had nowhere to swerve to. I hit the brakes, and was able to get slowed down a little, bit we hit and went completely up and over the pony.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get to, is that afterwards, I was talking to my insurance agent, and was informed that had I swerved and hit something else (house, telephone pole, fence, etc...) it would have been my fault and not covered by my insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd get a new insurance agent. Lot of people swerve to avoid obstacles in the road.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd get a new insurance agent. Lot of people swerve to avoid obstacles in the road.

Oh I did. Started shopping around later that day, and as soon as the van was fixed, we switched companies.
Although, while looking for a new company, I was surprised to learn that there are several companies that had similar clauses in their policies.
If memory serves, it was something to the effect of: If you hit it, it's a road hazard, and is covered. If you swerve and loose control or hit something, it's driver fault/error and may or may not be covered.

life lesson: make sure to read the fine print.