Truck shakes at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakeacline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck will shake like crazy at any speed above 60mph. The whole passenger seat visibly shakes, if I have a cup in the cupholder it shakes vigorously. If I were to take it to a dealership, I'm sure they would blame it on my spacers, but it has shaken ever since I got it bone stock.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check the balance of your tires and the play of the hubs. maybe you've lost a weight on one tire?
also the ball joints just in case- but I would go with the turning parts.

lift the wheels of and see if they have play. Sure the issue is somewhere there.

how fast you go, when you say above 60mph? does the vibration gets better with 70 mph for example? if so, then sure there is something wrong with the balance.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was perfect up to 140mph.. but now it starts shaking around 100.. not sure why either..

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Have you been off road in a lot of mud and have some on the back side of a wheel? It doesn't take much. Or a missing wheel weight, bent rim, broken belt in a tire. If it did it from the beginning I would have taken it back before doing modifications they would blame it on. put the stock wheels back on and take it to the dealer.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Took it to a shop today and got my tires balanced, that was the fix!

Yup had the same issue with my 22s.

These trucks are very picky with balanced rims. I had to get mine road forced balanced.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i get mine packed with mud and snow all the time so started carrying around a small brush to clean it out

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,
I too, have a vibration at highway speeds...and I am looking for any possible solutions. Mine starts at 65mph, you feel in in the seat but not the steering wheel (it gets pretty bad around 71mph). Anyhow, the dealer and I have made numerous attempts to correct it but nothing has worked so far. See my list in order below:
1. Tires balanced (at Just Tires) nothing
2. Tires road-forced balanced at Dodge Dealer (Capital Dodge) nothing
3. Tires balanced again at a tire specialty shop. Along with truing the tread. Basically like putting your wheel on a lathe. Shaved off high spots in the tread (make the tire perfectly round). None of this worked.
4. Purchased new tires (Cooper Tires) wanted to get away from the Goodyears. However, this did not work either.
5. Replaced rear shocks...nothing.
6. Took it to the dealer. The service manager felt the vibration, and was pretty sure it was the driveshaft so they replaced it. That didn't do it, so the dealer replaced the axle shafts next. Again, no luck. Dealer recommended replacing the rear rotors. Even though the ones on there were only a year old or so, I agreed to it. But that didn't fix it either.

All of this was within the last month. I just picked up my truck about an hour ago. The drive home still had the same vibration...very frustrating to say the least.

My truck is a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. Luckily, its still under warranty (at least for a few more months) but I have also forked out about $1500 on items as well (tires, brakes and shocks) in hopes to fix the vibration. So I am at a stand still right now. Any ideas you might have...would be most appreciated/helpful.

Oh yeah, one other thing the dealer did was to take off 4 wheels from another truck that rode fine and put them on my truck. We both went for a ride together (service manager and I) but the vibration was still there. So that pretty much eliminated my wheels and tires.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I still have the issue after all these years.

Even got rid of my 22s and went down to 20s. It seemed to shake less but it still does it... Makes really not want to get another 4th gen and get a 5th gen.

Tww of my co-workers have rams. Ones a 2013 and a 2019 Classic, both don't have any shake.

Last edited:

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,
I too, have a vibration at highway speeds...and I am looking for any possible solutions. Mine starts at 65mph, you feel in in the seat but not the steering wheel (it gets pretty bad around 71mph). Anyhow, the dealer and I have made numerous attempts to correct it but nothing has worked so far. See my list in order below:
1. Tires balanced (at Just Tires) nothing
2. Tires road-forced balanced at Dodge Dealer (Capital Dodge) nothing
3. Tires balanced again at a tire specialty shop. Along with truing the tread. Basically like putting your wheel on a lathe. Shaved off high spots in the tread (make the tire perfectly round). None of this worked.
4. Purchased new tires (Cooper Tires) wanted to get away from the Goodyears. However, this did not work either.
5. Replaced rear shocks...nothing.
6. Took it to the dealer. The service manager felt the vibration, and was pretty sure it was the driveshaft so they replaced it. That didn't do it, so the dealer replaced the axle shafts next. Again, no luck. Dealer recommended replacing the rear rotors. Even though the ones on there were only a year old or so, I agreed to it. But that didn't fix it either.

All of this was within the last month. I just picked up my truck about an hour ago. The drive home still had the same vibration...very frustrating to say the least.

My truck is a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. Luckily, its still under warranty (at least for a few more months) but I have also forked out about $1500 on items as well (tires, brakes and shocks) in hopes to fix the vibration. So I am at a stand still right now. Any ideas you might have...would be most appreciated/helpful.

Oh yeah, one other thing the dealer did was to take off 4 wheels from another truck that rode fine and put them on my truck. We both went for a ride together (service manager and I) but the vibration was still there. So that pretty much eliminated my wheels and tires.

4X4? Had it offroad? My bet is the rear driveshaft.

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kmrtnsn,
The driveshaft and the axles were replaced. I was hoping it was the DS too...but no luck.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Play in the front end, ball joints, tie rods etc. All of those can cause vibrations.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
2 part driveshaft is inherently unblanaced. replacement is just asbad m asi ti too is 2 part shaft. replace withone piece helps, so too does adding micro weights to the two piece shaft.
that and new michelins reduced mine to practically NIl. pretty sure its the hemi and the drive trainmounting causing what little remains.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
2 part driveshaft is inherently unblanaced.
That's a load of BS. You know how many millions of two piece drive shafts are out there in operation? Any driveshaft that isn't balanced for the rpms it's spinning will tear itself or the u-joints apart. If they replaced your drive shaft and it still vibrates, it probably not the driveshaft or you have really bad luck to get a new one that's bad.
All three of the vehicles in my driveway have 2 piece drive shafts(including a carrier bearing) with a combined 200K miles from three different manufacturers not one vibration out of any of them.

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:
I did figure out my vibration. Crazy enough, the dealer did the same thing (put different rims/tires on my truck) but those wheels must have had a defect in them somewhere. Because they gave me the same vibration. Per my post a few up...you can see we did a lot to my truck (troubleshooting). So I was at the point of buying a new truck (out of frustration). A good friend of mine came over who has the same truck as I do (identical except for the color). He knew the issue I was having and I asked to put my rear tires on his truck. So we did just that and his truck which did ride smooth...suddenly had a vibration. So that narrowed it down for me. It had to be my rear wheels. So we put my wheels back on my truck, and on one side I put my spare tire on. We went for a ride and it was smooth. Put my other wheel on the rear (with the spare tire on the other side) and had a serious vibration around 70mph. I figured out which wheel it was. So to me, it had to be the tire (which was new) or the rim. I immediately took that wheel to a tire shop to balance it. They let me back to see everything. It was tricky to balance but they did finally get it. But, the tire guy said it looked like I had a slight wobble. So I asked him to remove the tire so we could see only the rim on the tire balancer. Sure enough...a slight wobble.
Luckily, I was able to get another rim and that was my fix. What a crazy month of troubleshooting!!! To find out it was only a rim.
A few lessons learned:
1. Don't always trust the dealer. If you have any mechanical sense...don't be afraid to troubleshoot on your own.
2. Tire shops may see a defect when balancing your tires...but not say anything. Ask to go back so you can see your wheels being balanced with your own eyes. They tend to be more upfront and honest with you right there watching. Just my two cents...
3. This forum was extremely helpful. So don't be afraid to research a problem you are having. I read all of them and I got a few ideas for troubleshooting.