Truck shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alvino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At 60mph my truck starts to shake and if I go higher I feel it more and more. What could it be? It’s not the u joints because there’s no play...

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
a few things, ball joints, bad hub, bad tire (busted belt, not balanced), bent rim.
Check the tires first, make sure they are not out of round, then, ball joints, then bent rims, then hubs, if you find the problem you can stop looking and replace the bad part.

OP
OP
A

Alvino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not rim or wheels because I just put new rims w/tires, I’ll start checking joints and hub

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
did it start after you installed new rims and tires?

maybe bad balancing?

Puffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Rams are noted for their Death Wobble....look it up, fixes require some front end work, happened to my 2007 3500 dually.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
just because you have new rims and tires doesnt remove that as a possibility. Try to see if you can tell which side it is coming from. New tires can develop a bad belt from over pressure or under pressure as well.

As someone else mentioned, did this happen after the new rims and tires or before?

check the death wobble as well, a real possibiilty.

OP
OP
A

Alvino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was already feeling it before the wheels were on, but I feel it strong from the back rear

PIPTHEREDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Check your track bar. Mine did the same thing and replacing it fixed it.

OP
OP
A

Alvino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll check, I don’t feel movement or shaking in the steering wheel

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know you said there is no play in your ujoints, but did you actually remove the drive shaft and check that the ujoints pivot nice and free? A tight ujoint with dry or seized needle bearings can cause a vibration

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Generally speaking- if you feel the vibration in your seat, the cause is in the rear. If you feel the problem in the steering wheel, look in the front. If it was happening before your new wheel/tires it rules them out, UNLESS... you had a bad original tire or out of balance, and now one or more of your new tires are out of balance, or is just a bad tire. I had a new set of 4 tires installed years ago and 2 of them were bad, which I felt as soon as I left the parking lot. Also, an indicator of poor balancing is when you see excessive weights on a rim, or a weight in one spot and another about 170 degress across. Someone didnt put the first weight in the right spot on the rim. New tires should also be road force balanced which includes tire/wheel matching to reduce the amount of weight needed. More expensive but worth it. Especially important on larger tires like a truck. Last, if you have exhausted all tire/rim problems, check the driveshaft for weights at either or both ends. A weight may have come off, as indicated by a clean spot. Keep us posted, so we all learn. Good luck.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
A

Alvino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First thing first I will rebalance them good with the proper weights o need on the wheels. If that don’t work then I’ll get more closer to looking into the driveshaft

JayRoverDozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you found a solution? I really need the outcome, please. Thanks